[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Sphink
Forum Index Profile for Sphink »» Messages posted by Sphink
Tournaments » The first unofficial uniwar tournament. CANCELLED... Again.. » Go to message
I think a round robin style tournamen would be hard to keep track of wins/loses without sending a screenshot. Plus the tourny would last a LONG time if you had to play the same player 2-3 times or 3-5 times...
Read why i said it would be best to use a "new" tournament specific account and single elimination.

Also I like my "blind" race choosing idea to keep player 2 from choosing a race to counter player 1's, rather then having both players play one race.
Tournaments » The first unofficial uniwar tournament. CANCELLED... Again.. » Go to message
Notice: due to lack of intrest thus tournament will be cancelled again. Also I don't think I'm up to running this thing and dealing with a bunch of nonsense... Maybe the devs can implement a system so we don't have to email, verify, post screen shots, ask devs to look into a game incase there is a discrepancy... Join the 2vs2 tournament, it's still
up I believe.

Ok, I didn't realize I posted over the tournament rules and explanation of how it will be ran in my other "cancelled" thread.

Sorry for any confusion, but disreguard those Other posts and direct all questions here. I'll make a new thread if there is enough intrest to actuall start a tourny this time.

depending on how much actual intrest there is, it will be a 16 or 32 man tournament. If we can't get 32 players but we have over 20, I'll make the executive decision on who plays and who gets cut.

Naturally the format will be 32>16>8>4>2>1. it will be single elimination, so a lost game is a lost tournament.

You will be required to start a new account (which may be a problem since you can't create multiple accounts anymore, I'll pm kralux about this if there is intrest.) to verify wins/loses. For those who want to know why start a new account for the tourny: a new account has 0 wins/loses, therefore any loss on that account would signify a loss in the tournament and would make it a quick look into your tourny account to verify a win/loss. Also no other games should be played on your tournament account, so if I looked at your account and you have more then 1 current game, you would be instantly disqualified, since it's single elimination you will only have one game at a time.

All game matchups will be decided by me. Matching players of equal strength. Each round will be played on one map by all players, therefore the tourny will need 4 maps for a 16 player tournament or 5 maps for a 32 player tourny.

Another idea I have is all players being told the map for the round then having each pm me what race they will use. This would make it "blind" and eliminate the second chosing a race to counter the inviters race. That would require a second pm from everyone telling me what race their OPPONET is so I can verify that they got the race they said they would...

I'm leaving out alot of details so if you ask me a specific question on how the tourny will be run, I will answer it. Any suggestions are also welcome.
Tournaments » Quick tournament! CANCELED!!! » Go to message
BUMP
Tournaments » Quick tournament discussion » Go to message
Anyone have any intrest in this?

It's an old thread, but I had someone suggest I start a tourny and I said I would if ppl showed intrest...

So I'll bump this and my "cancelled" back up to the top and see if there's any renewed intrest.

So... BUMP
New Feature Request » Better team game support! » Go to message
There is currently minimal team game support in this game.

When starting a new team game I look at a few things.
First is the rank of the players I have chosen to play with.
Next is the starting positions on the map.

The two maps I play 4vs4 on are volcano isle and full planet (V2).
In these maps two players from each team will have a player from the other team on each side.
And two players from each side will be side by side.

Putting the two strongest players in the "surrounded" positions and the weaker two players in the "side by side" positions makes the most since for obvious reasons.

The problem is: getting the invite order correct to get the players into that configguration.
You have to tell one of the players to create the game and invite the players in a specific order.

If the game creater could choose which "color" he wants to be, he could invite the players in the correct order.
Instead of me choosing the players, sorting them by strength, figguering out the starting positions, figguring out the invite order, seeing who gets the blue position, waiting for that player to get online so I can tell him the invite order, or reworking the positions to put someone currently online into the blue position, then telling him the invite order...

I'm sure the devs could make a GUI for team game selection. Perhaps even a clan/team prefix, a team game ladder, and even a team stats page.

Anyone with team game suggestions feel free to chime in.

Oh yeah, MORE 6 AND 8 PLAYER MAPS!
General Discussion » What idiot created new scoring system » Go to message
I take it you have no idea how an elo scoring system works.

It rewards you for playing against player of equal or greater score then you.

Do you really expect to be rewarded with points for beating a player over 200 points below your score?

You are expected to win a game against a player with a score that much lower then yours.
On the other hand your opponet beat a player with over 200 points then him. So he beat a player that should have beat him. Therefore he is rewarded with more points for winning a game against such a strong player.

How about you wiki "elo". And play opponets that are more equal to you if you want more points...
New Feature Request » An idea to better random games. » Go to message
First of all you should be able to "veto" about 3-4 maps of your choice as I have said before.

It also seems like alot of people want to be able to choose their race when playing a random game.
In essence making not the whole match-up random, but only map and opponet. Which sounds balanced to me.

If you start a random game, the "system" should pick your opponet and map and "lock" you both in.
Player one will be shown the map and the opponets skill level.
The player who starts the game has 3 options.

1) choose race.
2) abort game for half points.
3) offer draw.

Player 2 will then recieve the random game and be able to look at the map, opponets race, and skill level and be given the same 3 options as player 1.

Feel free to expand on this idea or offer Other ideas of how to better the random game matching system.
General Discussion » Do you hate 1.3.0? Rant here. » Go to message
@nfong: idk I have a low attention span. I might move on to something else tomarrow or I may play uniwar regularly... There may be a renewed intrest with the recent updates and nerfs/buffs. But that is, if I can find a game before I get bored
Just got back from playing (if you want to call messing around in the menus and chat playing the game) and after failing to find a rated game to play, I came up with a few improvements to your new rated game system.

It shouldn't be totaly random, you should have a few options/filters you should be able to choose from.
Example: you should be able to "thumbs down" 3-4 maps of your choice and not get random'd into that map.
Example: ratings filters options should be "less then" or "greater then" 1500, 1600, 1700... 2100, ect..

Also the matching system should be updated because when I hit the random game button it matched me with the same person over and over (I assume it would have done it as many times as I hit the button). This should be fixed. I have a rule that I don't play more then 1 rated game at a time per person. I don't want to play the same person in 10 games.

I don't know if its because of this update that nobody is playing or thatmy score is higher then most that I'm not getting matched to them or what, but as of right now I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a rated game.
Hmmm... Uniwar seems so different from when I took a break. I don't have the updates yet but from reading a few posts it looks like most people don't approve of them. as for the specific dislike of no costum rated games I propose this:

1) I like "45's" idea of resetting the ladder. I would think once or every other month would be ideal.
2) in the "open games" screen there will usally be a player or two with about 20 or so open games of the same map, there can be a few things done about this. (a) have a limit on the amount of open games a player can have at one time (3-5) or (b) have a "smart" ratings system that keeps track of the percentage of games you play on each map and and award more or less points accordingly.

Banning all custom games seems like a quick fix to stop everyone from complaining about how so-and-so is doing "this" and is cheating.

To the developers: perhaps a section in the forums could be dedicated to future updates where instead of us tellingyou what we think you should do, you tell us what your thinking about doing.

I know alot of negitive comments will be posted and people will give you totaly off the wall ideas which don't even relate to the update. But it might get the creative juices flowing and might help you think of something compleatly different.

Maybe you could have avoided releasing an update that hurts more people then it helped by banning custom games. Idk I'm just thinking out loud.
General Discussion » Ethics in a multiplayer game » Go to message
I feel sorry for asdf... He only has fun if he wins, so he only plays a certain race on a certain map to give him an advantage so he can have fun winning an easily won game. He obviously has a loosing complex and hates loosing so much he only plays certain games. I think it's beyond getting points for him and only about winning. If he wins he has fun, if he looses he dosnt so he only plays games where he knows he has a decient chance to win. It's not like he's in the top ten or anything. So if you don't like it don't play him lol... Or play him and try to make him sad his "unbeatable" strategy didn't work.
General Discussion » Named and Shamed \o/ » Go to message
All this hype over the top ten list. What about the bugs that need to be fixed? The exploits that give an unfair advantage to your opponet? Everyone know the top ten list is trash. And it's not hard to find a legit player in the 2000-2400 range. What about the players who have an "unbeatable" strategy against a certian race on a certain map and kick all players that don't join with that race (iluvkim)? Are they "legit"? Do they need their ratings reset? How about a "smart" rating system that keeps track of say the past 25 games and compares them, rounds played, credits spent, units lost/killed, map, yours and your opponets race, and not reward flexability but punnish people that play the same type games. I would be in the punnished group as when I played alot I mostly only played sapian vs. Sapian or khralean vs. Khralean.

I could care less about who's on the top ten. I'm more concerned about my current opponet and being sure he's not using an exploit that is giving him an advantage over me. If people wanna waste their time getting under your skin by having their name in the top ten, more power to them. I think your giving them even more attention which is what they want in the first place.

All in all. I quit this game because of exploits giving an unfair advantage and I feel bad if I use them because they might not be, and if I don't use them then they might be giving an unfair advantage against me. I care a WHOLE lot more of my win percentage then a rating. But the rating just proves my win percentage wasn't from owning noobs. I'm done ranting lol.
Khraleans » Order of Aerial Attack » Go to message
I think I covered order of attack in my guide from way back... If I recall correctly units with a range of 2 can only recieve a gang up bonus of 1... I don't remember though. Maybe look back in general disscussion and see what I said. I'm too lazy. Or maybe someone will post it here for you.
General Discussion » Skipping players » Go to message
Lol sounds kinda like me. But me and someone else had an in depth discussion on skipping people so I do not comment (anymore) when my turn is skipped. I forget who it was now. I have a secondary accounts for new strats and just messing around doing stupid stuff, but they have "sphink" in the name ex. "NPM-_-Sphink". I'd send you an invite but I'm prolly a little rusty. But building marines for the first 3 rounds is perfectly acceptable on some maps depending on the match up. Maybe I'll start a few games on my old NPM account and invite you. Will prolly build up my rating first to match yours though.

Edit: just remembered about my GGU-Sphink account! Gotta love the ole clan days... Woulda been fun if people didn't ruin my idea by making fake GGU accounts just to offend me. (probably because I wouldn't let them join)... Sigh... Good times
What's New in the Latest Updates » New Race Balancing Proposal - Sept 2010 » Go to message
Oh yeah. Might help if I get the facts right... That Changes things alot because now I think with the stat buff (defence, self repair, and UV cooldown) I'd put the price at 275cr? Too odd of a number I know, but what about increasing the defencive strength of the other two races units too? Then an even 250? Just my guess... I don't know how balanced my opinions are though...
Forum Index Profile for Sphink »» Messages posted by Sphink