[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: dr. pepper
Forum Index Profile for dr. pepper »» Messages posted by dr. pepper
General Discussion » 【Say something】Nerf and weird bug in the recent update » Go to message

- Kraken can hit land, water surface units when its on the surface; hit submerged units when its underwater
- Skimmer can hit land, water surface and air units when its on the surface; hit submerged units when its underwater
- Submarine can hit land, water surface and air units when its on the surface; hit land, air, water surface and submerged units when its underwater

Thank you, that's very helpful! If only it was this clear in the game.
General Discussion » 【Say something】Nerf and weird bug in the recent update » Go to message
  simsverd wrote:
  samueror wrote:
Thanks for your reply, I understand that some changes were necessary to balance the UWs, but I still have few questions:

- Submarine, the unit that has the ability to attack air when underwater, but only inflict minimal damage (1) to most air units after the update. (?)

- Considering the nerf to the UWs, can we say that the UWs are only capable of battlefield harassment rather than direct attack (?)

The submarine is the only sub that can hit all targets while submerged. The kraken and skimmer can only hit surface units while submerged (including units on reef, naval bases and bridges). The skimmer can hit all targets on land/surface/air while surfaced and kraken kan hit all surface/land targets except air while surfaced (within ranges 1:3 and 1:1 ofc..)
all subs have a underwater penalty when submerged and attacking surfaced (or air) targets. Currently that penalty is -4 but could change..

We are considering to let other units than subs dammage subs under water, but it will probably be at reduced effect.. to awoid to easy killing the subs.

Are all these unit characteristics explained anywhere else? I'm reading through the descriptions in-game, and they're not very clear. I'm not completely following you here either so let me make sure I'm understanding. Kraken and Skimmer can't hit other submerged units while submerged while the Submarine can? I'm assuming the Submarine can attack all types of targets while surfaced?
EDIT (I answered my own question): Can someone explain if you can actually see submerged units? How exactly do you attack them?

So I read that you can see submerged units as long as units are adjacent to them, but you can't attack them. I think it's a really bad idea to limit the counter to submerged units to submerged units. That limits the the strategy when an opponent starts massing submerged units in a battle focused on aquatics. You're pretty much forced to build your own fleet of submerged units, which would get pretty boring quickly.

Why not give the engineer/assimilator/infector and/or other aquatic units (in case there's so much water that having these units on the edge would still not provide vision) a vision ability to see submerged units greater than one tile away so that they could be attacked?

To your point, you'd obviously have to balance attacks on submerged units, but I think this would open up the strategy a bit more.
Technical Support Questions » Clarify Resurface Bonus Attack » Go to message
Perhaps it's been like this for a while or the text just hasn't been updated, but the text blurb that describes 'resurface' says that units get a +4 bonus to strength. Is this true? From my recollection, they used to get a +3 bonus, but I thought it was nerfed down to +2.

Can someone clarify what the resurface bonus is?
What's New in the Latest Updates » Using Aquatic Units in Offline Games (iOS) » Go to message
Thanks, I got it to work!
What's New in the Latest Updates » Using Aquatic Units in Offline Games (iOS) » Go to message
I downloaded the new update on iOS and purchased the new aquatic units but don't seem to be able to use them in any type of game including local, unranked custom online, etc. I was under the impression they were available in offline games. Please advise, thanks!
General Discussion » Spookyhouse devs Q and A » Go to message
Copied from the other thread:

Q: Are there plans to come up with a better way of looking into potential imbalances in the game (collecting data from games), play-testing the changes in a beta environment, and then implementing changes as needed?

Q: Piggybacking on others, what are the plans to communicate changes to the game? (new features, balance changes, units, etc.)

Q: When are the submarine units coming in an iOS release?

This account was created on July 18th, 2009 and it was actually my 2nd account. My first had a couple thousand games on it. I can't remember exactly when that was but it was probably either sometime in 2008 or early 2009.
New Feature Request » WORLD CHAMPION » Go to message
I like the general idea without the boxing references. I'd prefer something like Starcraft that has tiers like grand masters, masters, platinum, gold, silver, bronze, etc.
General Discussion » UniWar gets acquired by Spooky House Studios » Go to message
  The Impaler wrote:
  gljack wrote:Dear UniWar players,

We are pleased to announce that UniWar has been acquired by Spooky House Studios.

We at Spooky House Studios are committed to take good care of UniWar players. Going forward we will bring new and awesome features to the game.

UniWar, welcome to the Spooky House Studios family!

Hi Andrei, I would also like to welcome you! I look forward to seeinv what spookyhouse has to offer! I am excited that it seems updates will be recieved quicker than our past! I apologize for the lack of optimism from our community, but I am sure you understand the concerns, with the current state of mobile gaming in mind.

Without trying to sound too heavy handed, I would like to inform you that this community is NOT like much of the rest of the mobile market. The vast majority of the players here only play this game, and no other mobile games, due to the ever present skinner's box mentality, and similar "whale hunting" techniques.

The only reason I mention this, and the only reason my friend Duaneski mentioned your other games under the spookyhouse name, is that we firmly beleive that the marketing used in the current mobile market has the significant possibility of eliminating the already small playerbase of uniwar. Imposed restrictions like "energy" required to play games (only renewable though timers or payments) or constant reminders to share on social media would in no uncertain terms end the life of this game.

However, if you use your expertise, larger devlopment team, and larger monetary base to clean up existing bugs, expidite game feature requests, and grow the player base through effective external marketing, I can assure you this game can become exceedingly lucrative. We are a proud community, and we invest in quality, and with next to NO real competition in the app store or google play store for quality strategy war games, you have a monopoly in your hands.

I fear for the worst, and hope for the best. If you respect this community, we will reward you.

Very well said impaler.
General Discussion » UniWar gets acquired by Spooky House Studios » Go to message
Along with others, one of my frustrations with this game has been the lack of communication on the forums. Another has been the basis of balance changes, which was a few high level players getting together to discuss balance.

Are there plans to come up with a better way of looking into potential imbalances in the game (collecting data from games), play-testing the changes in a beta environment, and then implementing changes as needed?
What's New in the Latest Updates » 1.10.2 » Go to message
I heard the IOS update will drop on the 15th.
General Discussion » Stat Rescaling Discussion » Go to message
Please take my comments with a grain of salt as I don't know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. I'm basing my comments on my perception of the balancing process from comments made by Xavi and Sims. I think rescaling is a good idea and would allow for more granular rebalancing.

With that said, I think the bigger issue is the lack of resources and data to effectively balance the game. I don't get the impression Xavi has a lot of help, and most of his time is spent on development. From my understanding, there's a very small team of 5-6 high level players who talk about balance of the game. So my questions are as follows:

How often do they discuss balance?
What type of data (if any) do they have to support their conclusions?
Is there a way to test balance changes before release?

Before making balancing more complicated (with the possibility of also making it better), I think these issues should be addressed. Aside from anecdotal evidence and experience from a few players, how do we know a particular unit is under utilized? How do we know the win rates of each race combination? How do we know which maps are imbalanced? These questions can't be answered accurately unless there is data that proves it.
General Discussion » Idea to balance unit to make all unit attractive » Go to message
  Fleskimiso wrote:
  simsverd wrote:Good discussion. I agree to some of the "challenges", but not all...

We want to increase the use of underused units in current meta... but we will not do any changes before the new aquatic units are out.

My own ideas for balance-changes:
- passive heal +1 for all tanks
- plasmatank +1 defence
- pinzer +1 defence
- sap tank +1 movement
- eclipse +1 heal
- eclipse +2 amph att
- wyrm MAA 4 (in addition to current MBA)
- borfly -1 GH
- fuze move +1
- cost of all artillery -50
And i would also like to nerf the speeder and marauder. They are way overused...

Artillery needs a buff.

I like a lot of the suggestions, but how would you balance the marauder and speeder against the tank units if they all receive buffs? Nerfing the speeder/marauder while simultaneously boosting tank units would cause the opposite effect I'm afraid (nobody builds speeder/marauder and tanks rule the day) especially after you consider that tank units will also withstand blasters better with defense buffs.
What's New in the Latest Updates » 1.9.98 UNDERWATER units for pre-purchase » Go to message
Can we get an update on what's going on with these changes?
What's New in the Latest Updates » 1.9.98 UNDERWATER units for pre-purchase » Go to message
I can't speak to the Amazon update specifically, but Xavi stated (in in-game chat) that the IOS version was never submitted to Apple and that an update was coming in the next few days. I suspect that might have some impact on the Amazon version as well, but I'm not sure.
Forum Index Profile for dr. pepper »» Messages posted by dr. pepper