[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Sphink
Forum Index Profile for Sphink »» Messages posted by Sphink
New Feature Request » Feature requests » Go to message
Asdf,
after bumping into you in the forums a few timesand reading most of your posts, it seems that all you really care about is winning. Not becomming a better player. I liked the metaphor about training wheels, you are playing with a "handicap". It isn't cheating in any way, and it's not unfair because your opponets are choosing the race they want to fight you with. But you are choosing every single option of the game. So they are playing your game.

Let me say there is nothing wrong with your decision to kick your opponets based on race. But it is a handicap and a true cop out to real strategy. By saying well I have the most fun Titan vs khralean, so I'll kick everyone who chooses sapians or titans is giving you a handicap.

You said in another post that you are rated 2000+ in your other account. Please invite me to a game, I always learn more from my losses then any win. And if you want to limit what race I play then you will have to make it UNRATED like the game was ment to be played if you want to limit your opponets race choice.
New Feature Request » UniWar 2 Suggestions » Go to message
For one I kinda like the "3 new race" idea... But it's probably a little late for that. Infected sapians that have learned to use sapian technolgy. Reprogramed titans, Sapians that have learned to use robotics and other Titan technolgy. And assimilated khraleans, biomachanical titans that have developed a more organic (can't think of the right word) lifestyle.

Now, it's a good idea in my opinion but it also would take a WHOLE lot more development, unit ideas, balancing and what-not. Or maybe do uniwar 2 (probably too late now) with these three races. Then all you new race fanatics can have your cake and eat it too. Of corse some people will want 4 races or more units or more special abilites...

Just running with Nicko's idea here. I thought it was a good one. Deffinatly an original idea! which is better then adding stuff from a different game to uniwar.
General Discussion » 3 minutes turn game » Go to message
  asdf wrote:

I have played a few games where I was winning, but then got busy so I couldn't take my turns. I had my turns skipped and I lost. I didn't feel cheated in any way because it was my own fault that I didn't take my turns. My opponent had every right to skip me. Of course I was upset that I lost, but that's the rules. I didn't feel cheated in any way. I was upset with myself for not being diligent.

lol, skipping is not a strategy. It is part of the rules. If you want to start a stupid thread, that's up to you.

How about you lobby with the devs to remove skipping entirely? That way there is no point for a turn time limit. So it becomes infinite turns and you are just hoping for your opponent to take his turn.

the first part is understandable. I see your side of the story clearly now, maybe in the future I'll have your outlook on games where that happens to me.

I assume you were being sarcastic about the second part. Because if you think I was even remotely suggesting that then you are not even paying attention to what I'm trying to say, but twisting my words to say what you want to hear.
General Discussion » Ethics in a multiplayer game » Go to message
Well as being the highest ranked player in a few FFA matches I have this to say. I think "team-up" is the wrong term. Do you mean team up to where you only attack the higher ranked players units while ignoring your "team mates" units? Or attacking anything that you are strong against showing favor to the highest ranked player?

When I'm playing and I see one person going for another, I will come in and attack both players units with whatever I'm strong against regardless of player. I also attack whoever makes the first misstake. I think going only for the highest ranked player right from the start is a sign of cowardness. It says we are intimidated by you and we cannot beat you without teaming up (biased opinion). Of corse this is from the standpoint of being the highest ranked player in the game.

In one game me and the other highest ranked player teamed up vs the rest because they were talking about taking us out first. So we teamed up took em all out and had a 1vs1 (I lost)

so in conclusion, I believe yes it is bad to team up from the START to take out the highest ranked player. Plane and simple it is a free for all. If you want a team mate to play with, play a team game. In a free for all you should attack what you are strong against and avoid what your weak against, regardless of player. I think people who team up in a FFA are weak players.

This is all my biased opinion.
I think your missing what we are trying to say asdf... You keep saying the same thing over and over. We know what the rules are, and we know what happens when we don't follow those rules. What we (and by we I mean me) are trying to say is it sucks to have your turn skipped in the middle of a good game. And I've said before it is my fault for joining that game in the first place, but it still feels like I was "cheated" (and no it's not "cheating"). Yes if you don't move you deserve to have your turn skipped, I personaly never said otherwise (I don't see where nfong did either). It's a feeling, not literally cheating.

Again it is not cheating or cheap to skip someone when their time runs out, but it does "feel" cheap and I "feel" cheated when it happens in a good game. Maybe you should start a new thread (because we're obviously off topic on this one) "is skipping part of your strategy?". Maybe I'll go make one now.
Bug Reports » Vision bug » Go to message
Send a private message to kralux on this website, or invite him to a game and talk to him there. Deffinatly a good choice not telling anyone about the bug! Just tell him and he'll fix it in the update. Which I here is comming out this month! Or maybe next month. One developer said august though.
  asdf wrote: No such thing as a cheap way to get points, except by a hack. Either you are paying attention and taking your turns, or you are a dumbass.

wow, do you always post negitive comments when someone else disagrees with your opinion? He said "they CAN be used as a cheap way to get points." not "it is a cheap way to get points.".

You could have just stated why you like them instead of calling the people who don't like them names. I don't like them because if anything at all comes up at work (where I mostly play) I get skipped on a perfectly good evenly matched game and if it's at a critical point at the game I feel cheated. Although it was my fault for joining the game in the first place. I will play 10 minute games because I can do something at work and come back to the game, make my moves, then go back to work.

For those who enjoy the "on your toes action" of a 3 minute game, more power to you! I enjoy them too.
10 minute games are better in my opinion because there is some extra time incase something comes up (important phone call, text message, work, life...) then you have a little extra time to play with.

Yes, if he waited and started the game later you would have 3 minutes after he started it to take your turn. If you are not online at that time you will probably be skipped and eventually kicked, however the game will be counted as unrated because it did not go into the 4th round.
Sapiens » Can saps beat khrals at green valley? » Go to message
Yes, it is possable. I can't explane exactly how to do it because it's entirely situational, and against a strong player who always plays that map and has alot of expierance on that particular map (the people how open 10+ green valley games at a time) will be ALOT harder because they have seen alot of variation of strategy playing so many games on the same map. and if he's like me he learns from every misstake. So yes it's possable, and yes it will probably be pretty hard to do against a player who plays that map alot. That goes for any map that someone plays alot of. The more you play a certain map and and race, the more you find what works and what dosnt. I normaly avoid this map. Along with a few others. Not the answer you were looking for, but you can't just say do this, this, and this and you will win. It's all situational.
Sapiens » Do Saps always beat Khrals? » Go to message
I think instead of boosting or nerfing the heli, garauda, or swarmer. The nerf/boost needs to happen on the lower end of the spectrum. I think the marine is just slightly overpowered. Giving the underling an arial attack might not be the best idea because with the resurface bonus they would probably be stronger then a marine (vs. Arial). I think nerfing the marine alittle would also help in sapian vs. Sapian match-up making marines less usefull so it's not a marine spam-fest with a few heli's. You get a whole lot of unit for 100cr when you get a marine.

Any boosting to the underling has to have drawbacks. Give it a +2 arial but a -1 to ground light, mobility, and defence. I think just giving it an arial attack and leaving all other stats would make something else off balance.

In my opinion...
Bug Reports » Round timer bugs » Go to message
I have never seen or heard of this happening before. I have an iPhone... Have you tried reinstalling the app?
Sapiens » Do Saps always beat Khrals? » Go to message
Actually I believe that the Arial damage for swarmers was reduced to prevent "swarmer wars" some time back. I think it would have a major impact on Khral vs. Khral due to the fact that khral's army is for the most part arial based. I think perhaps giving the underling 2-3 arial attack might help? I don't know that's just a guess. Since marines have strong anti-air I think it would help make heli's and marines a little less powerfull vs khral. And on a side note, I use mostly heli's and marines vs sapians too. So maybe the marines are a little over powered.
New Feature Request » Hierarchical list/filter for maps. » Go to message
You can sort your games in a number of ways. The options are at the top of the "join a game" screen. Of corse there is an unrated/rated filter, team/no team, then you can sort them in the following ways.

Closest score: self explanitory.
3m-3d: games will be organized shortest turn limit to longest turn limit.
3d-3m: opposite from above.
2p-8p: games will be organized by open player slots, in this case least to gratest. (all 4 player games will be grouped together)
8p-2p: opposite from above.
Most recent: self explanitory. My personal preference.

A search option would be a nice feature as you pointed out above. Good idea.
Guides & Tips » The UniWarriors Guide to UniWar » Go to message
First of all, welcome back.

I skimmed over most of your guide and it is very good. The two parts I read most were, sapians vs. Sapians and Khraleans vs khraleans. These are the two match-ups that I have been playing most recently, and right now my score is 2050+ and 57 wins and 5 loses. So I like to think I'm fairly good at these two match-ups. I need practice with Titan vs Titan.

Sapian vs sapian:
I have two strats for this match up. The first being a variation of your marines and heli's. The second is instead of building your first heli you build 2 marauders. Remember that heli's compleatly wreck marauders, so keep them out of range and use "hit and run" tactics on thier marines and back up those attacks with marine attack. Then bulid a heli when you can afford it, but remember to NEVER stop building marines! Ever! Your goal here is to stay even with your units killed/lost and slowly get the advantage by killing one more unit then you lost (of equal value of corse).

Khraleans vs khraleans:
like you said I have seen people either go all garauda, all swarmer, or a mixture of both. I mostly use both, but it is entirely map specific. I will personaly start off with a garauda almost everytime, and then after that pretty much alternate between the two slightly favoring garauda on small maps and swarmers on bigger maps... As a general rule the longer the stand-off the better swarmers are because there will be alot more of them. Be sure to have a nice "meat shield" of garauda in front of your swarmers.

The key to winning in a "mirror match" is to capitalize on every little advantage you possably can. Never put your units on a tile that effects them negitively. These are general strategys (spaceminers too) and need to be adjusted for each map. Let your opponet make the misstakes and capitalize one them. Just try to stay even untill that happens. I've had plenty of games go past 50 rounds easily... I guess that's enough rambling for one post.

Again, nice guide.
General Discussion » Should the damage formula be a secret? » Go to message
Wooo!
Forum Index Profile for Sphink »» Messages posted by Sphink