[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: ahzdeen
Forum Index Profile for ahzdeen »» Messages posted by ahzdeen
General Discussion » Attack calculations » Go to message
  lion37 wrote: If the random calculation are really all done in the server (which I doubt) then that means you cannot play your turn offline and then just upload the result once your connection resumes. Not good.

If the random calculation actually take place in the client software then it is always theoretically possible to hack the client and make it work in your favor. This will be especially true once we get more clients (such as a web browser client, etc). Also not good.

This is a technical issue and I know exactly what I am talking about. Please consider eliminating all randomness from the game or you will have problems down the read.

I believe you have misunderstood Rolando's explanation. It would appear that when you connect to the server to fetch the game for your turn the first time (and you obviously have to make this connection or how would you see the results of your opponents turn) the game state returned includes a random seed - let's call it a luck factor - for each unit along with that unit's state. The client still performs the calculations, but those calculations are deterministic (all randomness happened on the server in the generation of the seeds).

That's a reasonably elegant solution on face value - the server can validate all damage calculations against the initial unit seeds thereby preventing "extra" damage-dealing. But it does suggest one evil hack to my mind. Assuming you could decode the incoming game state (packet sniffer on your router plus some clever coding) you could theoretically determine ahead of time which of your units will be more/less effective in a turn and use that to inform your tactical decisions. Not the most Earth-shattering hack of all time to be sure but perhaps an edge that would tip the balance in a close game.

I don't fundamentally disagree with your basic point lion37 - in fact the change you advocate was my #1 request item for UniWar 2.0. A true server-based multiplayer model that followed the golden rule of MOG servers ("Never trust the client!") would be better. But I don't think it's fair to overstate the flaws of the current design for effect.
New Feature Request » UniWar 2 Suggestions » Go to message
I'd love to see transactional multiplayer logic that lets the server make the decisions (thereby getting rid of a bunch of exploits).

Remember the first rule of online game servers: "Never trust the client!"

Less ambitious thoughts:
* Larger maps with more players
* Pinch/pull zooming of the game map
* Ability to audit (i.e. watch) other games - I'd love to see the top guys in action
* Carrier sea or air units that can transport one or more light ground units
* Area-effect artillery units (maybe - cool idea but obviously hard to balance)
* Guild system with a separate ladder and full forum support
New Feature Request » PUSH ! » Go to message
Hi guys - 2 months and no movement

The emails are just SO iPhone 2.0!

FWIW - we launched push in our app last month and it's definitely not trivial so I sympathize. But still, 2 months...
Forum Index Profile for ahzdeen »» Messages posted by ahzdeen