[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: dr. pepper
Forum Index Profile for dr. pepper »» Messages posted by dr. pepper
General Discussion » Fuze is the new op unit » Go to message
  LkASr wrote:
  dr. pepper wrote:Of the three amphibian units, it seems to be the weakest now that the salamander was buffed. I'm not exactly sure what makes the fuze stand out compared to the other two.

It has the worst damage output, worst defense strength. worst armor piercing, and tied for the worst mobility. Its' one advantage over the salamander is that it can attack from 2 range. Its' one advantage over the mantisse is that is costs 50 credits less.

Neither of which means all that much when you compare it with all the other advantages of the other amphibians by comparison.

I'd rather take the 200 credit option than using the 250 with the same repair values. For me, Salamanders are now pretty effective units, only if pitted against melee units and it's also not so useful against Swarmer spams in kvk despute the aerial buff.

Re: Fuze vs. Mantisse. For 50 credits, you get 1 additional damage to ground light, 1 additional damage to aerial, 10% piercing to aerial, 2 additional mobility, and 2 defense strength. If you don't think that's worth 50 credits, I'm not sure what to tell you. After typing it all out, it makes it even more clear how weak the fuze is.

The fuze should really be buffed in some way to make it worth it. Maybe it should have 2 repair or possibly even a small move after attack so it makes it easier to get out of harm's way?
Of the three amphibian units, it seems to be the weakest now that the salamander was buffed. I'm not exactly sure what makes the fuze stand out compared to the other two.

It has the worst damage output, worst defense strength. worst armor piercing, and tied for the worst mobility. Its' one advantage over the salamander is that it can attack from 2 range. Its' one advantage over the mantisse is that is costs 50 credits less.

Neither of which means all that much when you compare it with all the other advantages of the other amphibians by comparison.

Pento wrote:Fuze is a waste of money.
I like the idea, but it's too weak. No harm for anything except Infanterie.

It does seem to be a niche unit. And as you pointed out, it's a paper weight if it takes any counter damage.
General Discussion » Thoughts on the New 2-23 Balance Changes » Go to message
  StarryBlink wrote:The game become better balanced.

Swarmer still left underpowered since the last nerf.
And that make kharl still slightly weaker that the other two races.

Guardian now reasonably strong against ground-heavy.
But I think it's still too strong against aerials.
It's cost 350. Has aerial attack of 7.
Compare to bopper, cost 300. With aerial attack of 1.
You'll see it's still overpowered. Despite inability to repair.

And in fact most player, including me, rarely build eclipse today.
Instead, replace eclipse with guardians. Mixing them with your alway available mecha&speeders.
Although they've less anti-air power than eclipse, they still have enough to repel most aerial threats.

Beside, it has a lot more versatility. I mean a lot.
Guardian/speeder/mecha combination are cheap and can deal with literally all type of units.
Name it infatry, tank, aerial or ship.

So I think if swarmer get +2 or +1 ground-light attack and guardian get -2 or -1 aerial attack,
the game should become very fine balanced.

And the monthly balance adjust plan is good.

I have the same issue with Guardians but I experience that with Plasma Tanks. Guardians always seem to be a superior purchase.

I'm also struggling with Khraleans vs. Titans. Seems you have to play defensive as Khraleans to avoid getting run over.
General Discussion » Sapiens Unit composition vs Khraleans » Go to message
  LkASr wrote:
  dr. pepper wrote:
  simsverd wrote:
  dr. pepper wrote:Let me reiterate once again. I'm not saying sapiens are underpowered vs. Khraleans. I'm saying the matchup can feel a bit stale since you have a single unit composition to deal with air.

what are you talking about? sap can fight air pretty well... marines, marauders, helicopter, battery (with move after attack), even opper still... all can fight air... i think you just need some more experiance.. sap dont have a problem with air like you describe

Did you read what I said? Because you're not addressing my point.

there's gonna be a aerial fighter plane the saps will have that takes the role, just wait

I did hear through the grapevine there's going to be a new set of units that fill the anti-air role. I'm not sure Titans really need another anti-air unit. An air unit for the Titans would be nice though.

For those that were struggling to understand what I was getting at, here is my point. The section in parentheses is how the units perform vs. air. I performed comparisons by cost more than type. If the damage output differed by only one, I considered them to cancel each other out. I'm looking at the # of viable anti-air units and total amount of Anti-Air damage output.

Ground Light Mecha vs. Marine (cancel each other out)
Ground Light Guardian vs. Bopper (huge edge to Titans)
Amphibian Mantisse vs. Fuze (cancel each other out)
Ground Heavy Speeder vs. Marauder (cancel each other out)
Ground Heavy Eclipse vs. Tank (huge edge to Titans)
Ground Heavy vs. Aerial Plasma vs. Copter (edge to Sapiens)
Ground Heavy Walker vs. Battery (cancel each out out)

Titans have 6 viable anti-air options. Sapiens have 4. I'm excluding the Bopper, amphibian units, and the Tank.

In the two 'huge edge' cases, Tanks deal zero anti-air and Boppers do minimal damage. If they're on a mountain or forest, they do a little damage (Guardians get this same boost). In the single case the Saps have better anti-air, the Plasma still does decent anti-air damage. In three of the four cancel cases, Titans do more anti-air damage. I do realize some of that is partially due to the fact their units are more powerful and cost more.
  simsverd wrote:
  dr. pepper wrote:Let me reiterate once again. I'm not saying sapiens are underpowered vs. Khraleans. I'm saying the matchup can feel a bit stale since you have a single unit composition to deal with air.

what are you talking about? sap can fight air pretty well... marines, marauders, helicopter, battery (with move after attack), even opper still... all can fight air... i think you just need some more experiance.. sap dont have a problem with air like you describe

Did you read what I said? Because you're not addressing my point.
Let me reiterate once again. I'm not saying sapiens are underpowered vs. Khraleans. I'm saying the matchup can feel a bit stale since you have a single unit composition to deal with air.
You very well could be right about marines on non-forest and mountain tiles. My point was simply that Sapiens anti-air (even counting marines) options are limited compared to titans.
Khraleans » When is a salamander effective? » Go to message
  wookieontheweb wrote:I cannot seem to work out any useful way to use a salamander. Are they just a suicide attack unit? Even against sapiens they lack bite. Are they useful in any cases vs titans?
Maybe if their speed on water was significantly improved e.g. movement cost on ocean or water was reduced to 1. Then on some maps they could surprise attack from water and cause havoc to rear defences or artillery lines.
They've been play tested by the top players so there must be something I'm missing with them as is.

The developers seemed to agree as the Salamander just got a bit stronger in both defense strength (6 to and air attack (2 to 3). Do salamanders actually automatically plague when attacking? I know they automatically plague if they defend an attack and don't die.

P.S. I have no idea why an 'eight' is displaying as a sunglasses face icon lol.

LkASr wrote:
  dr. pepper wrote:Seems Sapiens unit composition is pretty limited vs Khraleans air army especially when there aren't forests and mountains for marines to use. It's pretty much copters + marauders.

Now that Bopper and Fuze's anti-air have both been nerfed down to 1, it doesn't leave many viable alternatives.

Anyone else frustrated by this?

You're missing out on the Marines

Hmm, I mentioned marines. They're extremely powerful on forests and mountains. I'm talking about more open maps that have more plains, deserts, and swamps. It seems the Sapiens lack the variety of units to combat air. Take the Titans for example, who have several units that deal with air decently well (mecha, speeder, eclipse, guardian, plasma tank). I excluded the siege units and aquatic units as the Walker and Hydronaut deals with air just like the Battery and Destroyer does.

The Titans have two additional units (5-3 (including marines)) to deal with air the Sapiens do not have.

It seems to me that either the Bopper or Fuze should be able to do more air damage.
Seems Sapiens unit composition is pretty limited vs Khraleans air army especially when there aren't forests and mountains for marines to use. It's pretty much copters + marauders.

Now that Bopper and Fuze's anti-air have both been nerfed down to 1, it doesn't leave many viable alternatives.

Anyone else frustrated by this?
  Michaelrn wrote:
  dr. pepper wrote: ... I'm also wondering if they're going to chew through everything now with that increased defense strength. 8 seems a bit much for a 200 HP unit. I'm thinking 7 and maybe a mobility increase might have been better. For reference, the speeder has 8 defense at 250 credits. The Marauder has 7 at 250. The Swarmer has 4 at 250. The Garuda has 8 at 350. Guess we'll see.

Note that amphibious/ground light are the most vulnerable types, generally units have greater power against them, so garuda and marauder will still be more tanky than salamander.

That's a good point. Maybe it won't be as big of a buff as I anticipated although I'm still a bit skeptical. I have been trying to use Mass Salamanders KvT on the map 'Current 2', which is loaded with swamps and I'm getting owned by Mantisse and Hydronaut.
  LkASr wrote:To me, Guardian's not so powerful in the long run due to its no repair trait, which means that you simply can't afford to damage it at all while its 1-2 range is good, but it doesn't help me much despite its mobility, I do know how to kill guardians effectively, but the gh and aquatic nerf, it now has to be extremely careful not getting hit

Its' defense didn't get nerfed. It was the offense that got nerfed. I don't think this change really impacts how you'll use the guardian (you needed to protect it before the change and you still need to after) unless it's a situation where you could have previously killed off a more expensive unit while leaving the guardian vulnerable due to the cost trade off. So you probably can't kill off a 6 HP Tank, Pinzer, Plasma, Destroyer, Hydronaut in one Guardian shot anymore and now wouldn't want to risk losing HP to a counterattack due to the inability to repair.
General Discussion » Borfly » Go to message
Additionally, I'd like to point out that Guardians won't wreck Pinzers as bad as they had after their GH has been reduced from 7 to 5.
I think they're pretty good overall. I loved wrecking everything with Guardians, but they were so overpowered vs. GH. Hopefully this will encourage more tank, pinzer, and Plasma Tank usage again.

I'm curious to see how the Salamander changes impact kvk. They were pretty useless vs. air before the change. Wonder if this will make them more viable vs. Swarmers, Mantisse, Fuze especially with the increased defense strength. I'm also wondering if they're going to chew through everything now with that increased defense strength. 8 seems a bit much for a 200 HP unit. I'm thinking 7 and maybe a mobility increase might have been better. For reference, the speeder has 8 defense at 250 credits. The Marauder has 7 at 250. The Swarmer has 4 at 250. The Garuda has 8 at 350. Guess we'll see.
Forum Index Profile for dr. pepper »» Messages posted by dr. pepper