[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: medricel
Forum Index Profile for medricel »» Messages posted by medricel
General Discussion » New Units and why IAP can/will be a bad idea!... » Go to message
  japhib wrote:This is true. And a good proposed solution, I might add. Especially if each new unit for a given race has pretty similar counterparts in the other races.

I would say unit packs would be essential if units held similar functions. Plys, I like the idea of buying units by class, rather than induvidually. That way, the bonus unit you buy applies to any race you play, even if a new race gets added.
I also agree that classes bought by one player should be usable by the opponent. A teaser, if you will.
General Discussion » Can't create ranked match and none to join » Go to message
Obvious question: Are you using a ranked map to make your game? The option to make a game ranked is only available if the map has enough votes to give it the yellow star of ranked-ness.
General Discussion » Ranked Ladder Abuse Please Fix » Go to message
Bot matches are forced unrated if your score is over 1700. Also, custom games only give half the points a regular random game would give. Is it abusable? Yeah. Is it nice for a higher-stakes game where points are on the line? I'd like to think so.
New Feature Request » 18 New units are coming... » Go to message
  LkASr wrote:Idea for mines: Put them into mountains, as in you can literally mine into the mountains themselves, or at least make it as a modifier for mountains

This idea is nice, but I think that swings the tide too much for players who have purchased that unit. I'd rather see a mine as a tile such as the repair base. You'd have to put a unit on it (maybe limit it to infantry/healer/terraformers) and have them perform a specific mining action that takes their turn, but instantly gives you a base's (or configurable) amount of credits. Would probably want that to be the default option over Repair if able.

But thqt is beyond the scope of the subject of new units
  Duaneski wrote:That would work. Could have increased cost for Titan walls since they're stronger

My problem w this is that it promotes a defensive play style. So I don't Love that about it

Of course Titan walls would be more costly. Wouldn't the ability to make mountain tiles also favor defensive? At least tankbuster/AoE, or anything good with heavy can destroy the walls.
I had another idea for the terrain-modifying unit. Give it the ability to build destructible walls. They cannot be passed by heavy units, but light units are able to cross them with a turn delay. Think of it like a buried underling that has a zone-of-control effect on its single tile. The wall would be identifiable to the player/race that made it, and have different stats and costs, and would be categorized as ground heavy. Saps would have a light, cheap fence that can't take much damage. Titans would have thick paneled walls which can take abuse. Khraleans could have some sort of web/bone structure that is in the middle. Whether or not friendly heavies should be blocked by walls, I don't know. Adding gates seems an overly complicated extension to the system and doesn't seem necessary.

They should only be able to be built on plains/desert tiles. Also, the construction should take the remainder of the turn, like capturing a base.
  xavi wrote:Some units like AOE and terrain mutation will be very powerful and that will come at a significant cost.

How about doing a thing where the vehicle needs to be built in one turn, then 'loaded' on a second turn at additional credit cost. Once the unit has deployed its payload, it must return to an owned base and wait for a cooldown in order to purchase a new payload. Maybe make the Khralean version into a kamikaze bomb that is disabled for one turn before being able to move/explode off the base. Increase cost to compensate for not needing to return to a base.
  lodeous wrote:I think amphibious units should get positive terrain bonuses from swamp tiles. It would make gameplay with them more interesting. They could have negative terrain bonuses on other land tiles.

Agreed about swamps. They should give some perks for an amphib unit. However, I think amphibious units should just be slow on land. Maybe desert/forest could have some negative modifiers, but I don't think they need to be quite so vulnerable when dry.
  Duaneski wrote:
I guess khral could do some burrowing stuff. Underground tunnels for GH that are like 3-5 hexes would be pretty insane

I'd rather turn the concept on its ear - khrals have a saboteur unit that destroys roads instead of makes them. Having a point-to-point tunnel would be too easy to camp out the exits.
Terrain modification? Maybe make units that build roads and bridges? Allow ground to pass 1~2 hexes of water, and heavies get to cross mountains? Also reduce movement costs for all land units?
General Discussion » Movement preview is not user friendly as dims brightness » Go to message
Maybe an option to control how opaque the overlay is? I like the effect, but I too feel that the effect is too intense and could be more subtle. Others might like it as it is.
Forum Index Profile for medricel »» Messages posted by medricel