[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
The first unofficial uniwar tournament. CANCELLED... Again..
Forum Index » Tournaments
Sphink

Sphink

Notice: due to lack of intrest thus tournament will be cancelled again. Also I don't think I'm up to running this thing and dealing with a bunch of nonsense... Maybe the devs can implement a system so we don't have to email, verify, post screen shots, ask devs to look into a game incase there is a discrepancy... Join the 2vs2 tournament, it's still
up I believe.

Ok, I didn't realize I posted over the tournament rules and explanation of how it will be ran in my other "cancelled" thread.

Sorry for any confusion, but disreguard those Other posts and direct all questions here. I'll make a new thread if there is enough intrest to actuall start a tourny this time.

depending on how much actual intrest there is, it will be a 16 or 32 man tournament. If we can't get 32 players but we have over 20, I'll make the executive decision on who plays and who gets cut.

Naturally the format will be 32>16>8>4>2>1. it will be single elimination, so a lost game is a lost tournament.

You will be required to start a new account (which may be a problem since you can't create multiple accounts anymore, I'll pm kralux about this if there is intrest.) to verify wins/loses. For those who want to know why start a new account for the tourny: a new account has 0 wins/loses, therefore any loss on that account would signify a loss in the tournament and would make it a quick look into your tourny account to verify a win/loss. Also no other games should be played on your tournament account, so if I looked at your account and you have more then 1 current game, you would be instantly disqualified, since it's single elimination you will only have one game at a time.

All game matchups will be decided by me. Matching players of equal strength. Each round will be played on one map by all players, therefore the tourny will need 4 maps for a 16 player tournament or 5 maps for a 32 player tourny.

Another idea I have is all players being told the map for the round then having each pm me what race they will use. This would make it "blind" and eliminate the second chosing a race to counter the inviters race. That would require a second pm from everyone telling me what race their OPPONET is so I can verify that they got the race they said they would...

I'm leaving out alot of details so if you ask me a specific question on how the tourny will be run, I will answer it. Any suggestions are also welcome.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18, 2011 18:27

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
lion3

lion3

Sign me up.
[Avatar]
TheOwner

[Avatar]
TheOwner

I want to play, but I have some ideas for a setup.

1. We can always do a Round Robin (Double Elimination) tournament if theres 20 something people instead of 16 or 32.

2. Play best of 3 or best of 5. For example, each player gets to choose a map from a list, and a third random map is chosen.

3. Same race could be required unless both players agree it is a fair battle.

4. Get kralux or Xavi to offer points or an emblem to the winner.

I was gonna say 'You been owned' but that makes me sound cocky... so um... ya...
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Sure, sign me up.
It seems that the forum is getting a little bit more popular ever since the "Forum" button was added in game

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29, 2011 12:51

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
Salival

Salival

nfong wrote: Sure, sign me up.
It seems that the forum is getting a little bit more popular ever since the "Forum" button was added in game

Probably that was the reason. Good.
As for the tournament sign me up Sphink.
Have few ideas but will share later, now I'm in no condition to do so
Sphink

Sphink

I think a round robin style tournamen would be hard to keep track of wins/loses without sending a screenshot. Plus the tourny would last a LONG time if you had to play the same player 2-3 times or 3-5 times...
Read why i said it would be best to use a "new" tournament specific account and single elimination.

Also I like my "blind" race choosing idea to keep player 2 from choosing a race to counter player 1's, rather then having both players play one race.

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
[Avatar]
Tournament

[Avatar]
Tournament

One thing to note is that for a best of 3 or best of 5 all games would be going on simultaneously unlike in an RTS, so time wouldn't be an issue. I'm also going to PM kralux about the creation of Tournament Accounts, but until then screenshots is the only option. The one problem with "blind races" is that it will be like random games, if you get lucky with the matchup it will be a free win. I would suggest doing something else to keep it from being luck based.
[Email]
Sphink

Sphink

Ok. I can't post screenshots and I know alot of other ppl can't either. But I can email them. So if there was a dev who could set up a email to send screenshots to that is the only way I could post a screen shot. If others can't post a screenshot on the Internet but can also email them from the iPhone, problem solved. Would also eliminate haveing tournament specific accounts to keep track of wins loses. (credit "theowner" for helping me with this idea.)

Also, blind races is indeed like random games, but also eliminates player 2 from choosing the counter race which would make it a lost game eitherway, correct?

Say titans always beat sapians, sapians always beat khraleans, and khrealeans always beat titans on a specific map. So if one player invited another, player 2 could easily choose the race that always wins.

But if knowing the same thing a both player have to "blindly" select their race based only on the map, then it Eliminates choosing the counter race and makes it random. Yes you can still get the "autowin" matchup, but if you get to choose your race second, you will ALWAYS get the autowin.

That is all about the balance of the game. The only other option is to force both players to be the same race. Unless you can think of something I'm missing... Did I explane myself good?

Edit: break up my wall of text. Lol sorry. Need to use return key more.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29, 2011 21:44

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
[Avatar]
Tournament

[Avatar]
Tournament

The other option would be to have only mirror matches, but I'm guessing some people would be apposed to it.

About the e-mail. I have it covered, Before posting I created one for the use of tournaments, if you would like I'll PM the PW/email name to you.
[Email]
zalcore

zalcore

It's... 2 in the morning.... ideas on no sleep are a great idea... anyways...

When you get the tournament running I'll play in it.

The "blind" format makes sense, but as Tournament(?) said it's exactly like random games and theres a 33% chance you will auto-win. Forced mirror matches aren't that great either. Some of the race's are balanced against each other, like khraleans and sapiens (the winner is determined by terrain usage).

I suggest instead of a blind matches that the players choose whether they're willing to play a slightly imbalanced game. For example, say the blue player was playing sapiens in the tournament and the red player was playing as titans. If both red and blue agreed to play the match with their races then it would be a svt game. But if one said the thought it was too imbalanced and didn't want to play the matchup (probably blue) the game would be played as tvt. If a player decides the don't want to play their race in the match because they are likely to lose, they can change to the opponents race for the match and then switch back to their original race in the next match. This way there won't be any lucky auto-wins, but the mirror matches won't be forced.

Though my explanation may seem complicated (ramblings of a mad man) it's simple enough that it wouldn't require too much effort to do. The main difference is that people know each others races, but countering isn't possible. This way the element of luck is removed from the tournament and it is completely balanced racewise.

Hopefully this idea helped, don't try to hard to make sense of it, I'm too sleepy to edit it right now, but I might in the morning (4pm)

Why isn't my name CAPITALIZED? As always the world is out to get me...
[WWW]
[Avatar]
TheOwner

[Avatar]
TheOwner

Here's what I think the tournament should look like:

Gameplay:
-All games will be played best of three
-If players want to play different races, and agree to it, they may
-If players do not want to play different races and can't decide which of their races to both play, they will play the other race neither of them have chosen
-If you try lying about who won you will be kicked from the tournament and most likely banned (I want to say yes, but thats up to Xavi and kralux)
-If you can't take screenies, I will setup a gmail account that you can mail them too

Possible Rules:

-Each player can choose a map from a predetermined list of fair maps and a third one is chosen randomly

This can be updated and most likely will.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 30, 2011 05:41

I was gonna say 'You been owned' but that makes me sound cocky... so um... ya...
Meisterwurst

Meisterwurst

If there's a Place Left, I would like to join the tournament too.
[Avatar]
TheOwner

[Avatar]
TheOwner

Meisterwurst wrote: If there's a Place Left, I would like to join the tournament too.

Learn to read previous posts and you'll know we haven't even started yet. We're still going over rules.

Meisterwurst

Meisterwurst

Oh sorry, I've Read the previous posts but I'm german and my english is'nt very good, so I didn't get everything and I thought I could join the tournament right now, but excuse me If I can't...
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Meisterwurst wrote: Oh sorry, I've Read the previous posts but I'm german and my english is'nt very good, so I didn't get everything and I thought I could join the tournament right now, but excuse me If I can't...

Don't worry, there's still room, you should be able to join

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
Forum Index » Tournaments