[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Battery usage
Forum Index » Bug Reports
stoanhart

stoanhart

Hi TBS Games,

I'm not sure this is a bug, but I couldn't decide whether I should post this here or in tech support.

I just wanted to point out that while I absolutely love UniWar, it destroys my phone's battery like nothing else. I'm using a Galaxy S Vibrant w/ Froyo. For comparison, I can play Angry Birds for hours without impacting the battery too much, and the phone stays cool. With UniWar, my battery drops like a stone, and the phone gets very warm. Not quite hot enough to cause damage (I think), but to the point where you start to worry a bit.

As a software developer myself, I thought about what might be causing this (not that I'm trying to tell you how to do your jobs ). The enemy AI may take some CPU power, but I doubt it's more more than the physics engine in Angry Birds. I have sound disabled, so the only thing remaining is graphics. This doesn't look like an OpenGL game, since its all isomorphic 2D. If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd guess that the game is CPU rendered and is drawing as many frames per second as it can. Since animations are only used sparsely and tend to be fairly simple (2-3 frames), perhaps it would be possible to not draw a new frame unless something has changed? Maybe I'm totally off here, but it feels like there is something not quite optimal somewhere in the game which is really killing the battery.

Thanks for listening!
UltimateDish

UltimateDish

While I haven't noticed the battery usage issue (though I haven't been paying attention to it, and I'm playing Uniwar all the time), my phone DOES get really really warm while playing Uniwar (using an iPhone 4).
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

I've played for two hours straight before and my phone (iphone 4) didn't get very warm, just a little. I don't know that you will get a response from the developers, you might, but they've been quite inactive lately.
I personally don't know anything about systems software and hardware, but aspire to be a software developer, so in a few years I'll help you brain storm if the question remains unsolved.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26, 2011 07:23

Sorry if i offended you
Phaid

Phaid

I've noticed this too. I've played games like dungeon defenders longer than I can play uniwar. Even simply making one move in an online game drastically takes away a chunk of my battery usage. I love uniwar, but it really limits my ability to play when I'm not at home.
Forum Index » Bug Reports