[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New player questions
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
3 Nails

[Avatar]
3 Nails

1. I want to make sure that I play an honest an honorable game. From reading these forums there the seem to be quite a lot of cheaters. Is there any type of unwritten rules that players adhere to? Foe example, give a player I little more time after their clock runs out to make their moves. Small things like that.

2. What race should I concentrate on to learn the basic tactics of the game? I got to level 19 on the campaign but had to reset my phone and I refuse to do them all over. Will I be missing something if I skip them?

3. Are there "guild"s in this game and if so how would I go about finding one? Is the a list somewhere? Are there any groups that are willing to take a new player and help him improve?

Thanks ahead for any help.

Everyone was a noob once. Remember that when I say something stupid. :p
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

1) hmm, unwritten rules... there are a lot of unwritten rules, but most of these are also unspoken, so you won't know until someone gets mad at you for some dumb rule that only they follow :P The main ones that I can think of right off the top of my head are: if someone's turn limit expires, but they are online, don't skip them. Don't start a game with a short (3min esp) time limit unless both players are online. Personally I would advise only playing 24 and 48 hour games, but thats just me.

2) No, you don't need to play the whole campaign. Really, the only thing it's good for is learning the basics and controls of the game and getting acquainted to the different races and units. If you feel you have those basic skills, you won't miss out on much. As for which race has best tactics, thats not really an answerable question. Each race has different ways to win, and different ways to counter other races. It's all tactics!

3) I think I remember seeing a british one once, or something like that, but I don't remember. Basically: no, not really any guilds/clans/etc, though you will get to know people through the game and develop a group of people who you usually play with. As for groups available to help you improve, the best place to go is this forum and it's three active members :P Feel free to ask a question, as long as it's not too stupid, or it hasn't been answered a million times before (read through a few of the old topics that interest you).
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

i will gladly play you and guide you (or anyone else) to make you improve... just invite me to an unrated game

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

simsverd is good player he will teach You basic tactics.
Each match is different, it depends on map, race, which units builds your opponent and situation at battlefield.
[Avatar]
3 Nails

[Avatar]
3 Nails

Yeah, he destroyed me. Whipped me like a dog.

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

haha!

you learn better "the hard" way... and i will of course also comment on the play ...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
shaithis

shaithis

I am guessing that you played campaign and thus have basic concept of all units and counters.

For now, start up 20 random games as random race. There are a few basic lessons that you can learn now, everything else will come with time.

Play random, don't join games. If someone is hosting, it's because they know they have a map advantage. The game is not balanced.

Tips -

0) The vision trick - create a speeder, garuda or heli, get vision, then undo. Hax, but everyone does it so you may as well.

1) Mobility and zone of control - know where to put that 3 health marine so that he will prevent their full health pinzer from chewing on your marauder next turn, which will in turn allow your marauder to pick off a worm or get a flank on a fly.

2) Sacrifice units to generate gang-up bonuses. Attack from the furthest possible angle with your marine, then attack from behind with your heli or tank, and then from the far side with another. Terrible, terrible damage.

3) Predict their moves - place yourself in their shoes, how would you move? What can you do to block? Zone of control is 90% of strategy.

4) Squish buried beetles - get good at predicting where they are (digit to right means there are x bugs next to you, bugs you stand on do not count), and move your heavy units on them. Marauders can hop on 2 different ones every turn, which is why good khrals will generally not waste time burrowing vs saps.

5) Marauders can create a gang-up bonus for their own succeeding attack (cannot be +3 because of zone of control, but +2 very possible with lots of plains).

I'll post more later, going to bed now.
[Avatar]
3 Nails

[Avatar]
3 Nails

Those are really good tips shaithis. Solid advice that I can try to put into play. With tips like those and getting slaughtherd every day by simsverd maybe I'll be able to win a few games. Lol

Forum Index » General Discussion