[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
90 day rating reset! Vote in poll
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Should the ratings be reset every 90 days?
Yes. 28% [ 8 ]
No. 72% [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 29
Sphink

Sphink

I propose we reset everybodys rating back to 1500 every 90 days. This would do a few things.

First, it would piss off everyone who cares too much about their points.
Second, it would really piss off the people exploiting 3 minute games or team games, or any other exploit that wins them a minimal amount of points.

But in all seriousness, it would deter people to use exploits because they would have to start over in 90 days, and to me it doesn't seem worth it to do all that just for it to get erased in 90 days.

Also it would make the game a lot more competitive. All players will be ranked even at the beginning of the 90 days and it would be a "race".

Yes, there will be really good players matched up with "bad" players at first, but it should even out after a few days when it's obvious those players have more points then most.

It will reset the ladder that is mostly a bunch of "exploiters" anyway.

It will give us a better idea of who the good players REALLY are.

I've talked about this in chat and most good players (2000+) agreed it would be good and make things more competitive. Some people didn't like the idea, but I personally believe it because they worked hard for their points and don't want to lose them.

What do you guys think??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 08, 2011 19:16

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
Sphink

Sphink

A few other thoughts...

3 months of playing time just sounds like a nice amount of time to establish a nice consistent score (reach a score where you win and lose games but your score stays around the same +-100)

It would create a "surge"'of new games as ppl are trying to up their score, instead of now just playing a few games while they sit on their "mountain" of points. So there would be more incentive to play/create more games to boost score.

The community and amount of games being played seems kinda stale these days. This would freshen things up and spark renewed interest in the game. (more games being played)

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

i voted yes... but not 100% agree...

we could reset scores periodically, 90 days seems ok.

But then i think we could have an extra list - "hall of fame" - all time high scores of 90 days (only the best score pr account ofc). Then you could try to beat others and yourself each "cycle"

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Sounds like a great idea!
I fully support this notion :p

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
joshua05

joshua05

I'm not sure.... I voted no because I personally worked somewhat hard to get to where I am. Even though I'm only at 2100. But then again there are pros and cons for this. Some pros would be that any people who are "fake" and not really good but have high ranks due to team matches or some form of cheating would be reset and therefore the true good players of jniwar would stand out. I'm not sure yet what I feel
joshua05

joshua05

Another thing is that players who do not play often due to work or being busy will have their scores reset even if they are better players than let's say a player ahead of him or her. Not sure if tht makes sense. Lol
gspy

gspy

I vote no and i want to explain why.
Why on earth someone wants to play a game that his score is reset every 90 days? whats the point to have a score in this case? Just remove the whole scoring system.

First, it would piss off everyone who cares too much about their points.
Yes. But you also care about the scoring. You propose to remove the scoring because 'cheaters' score more than you probably.

Second, it would really piss off the people exploiting 3 minute games or team games, or any other exploit that wins them a minimal amount of points.
So, because of cheaters remove features of the game? Remove the cheaters form the system and prevent the exploits of the game.

But in all seriousness, it would deter people to use exploits because they would have to start over in 90 days, and to me it doesn't seem worth it to do all that just for it to get erased in 90 days.
Again, So, because of cheaters remove features of the game? Remove the cheaters form the system and prevent the exploits of the game.

Also it would make the game a lot more competitive. All players will be ranked even at the beginning of the 90 days and it would be a "race".
What you describe as a race should be a tournament. I will vote up for a tournament system that users may start/create/etc.. This will be a good new addition and a request that should be made. To introduce tournaments more often and user driven, because the official tournaments are too rare and for limited players.

Imaging a game like 'angry bird' to reset your score every two weeks! Different games, same concept. Scoring. And also imaging a player of e.g. 2000 score to much up with random games with newbies. will be no fun for both of them.

Yes, there will be really good players matched up with "bad" players at first, but it should even out after a few days when it's obvious those players have more points then most.
A uniwar game may take days to finish (i usually play 24h turn games) and in order to gain some score it may take weeks. So, i will more correctly say ... it should even out after a few months ...
gspy

gspy

[continued]

It will give us a better idea of who the good players REALLY are.
So, you care about the scoring right? and how this will be done if score is reset every 90 days? you will need to have a new ladder of e.g. "Players that finish first on the most '90 days scoreboards'." This is actually a new ladder and will result in the same effect. Cheaters still will finish first.

I didn't want to sound aggressive and sorry for my long reply, but uniwar has problems and these are not the scoring.

Dev team, please fix the existing annoying bugs as the random games and the matching algorithm, and provide more maps and better game management.

The scoring is anyway to 'un-stable' for a casual player. I may go from 1700 points to 2000+ and back because i may lose 15 games in a row or win 15 games. Scoring is a motivation.

If you see the whole mobile gaming ecosystem, there is an demand for global/online scoreboards (just check the comments in the mobile markets). There is a reason for this. If uniwar remove it, will be a step back.

And finally, as for the cheaters, ok. You may lose a game playing with them, but if you are able to identify them, just don't play anymore games with them and make a notice here in forum for their username.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

rank should be reset of players who are offline since 30 days. It would fix the ranking becouse now there are few players that do not play.
Reseting all every 90 days isn't good solution.
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

I like this idea. However, like you mentioned, there is the problem that for the first week or so you will get many bad matchups. I think that instead of resetting everyone's rating down to 1500, it should bring your score halfway back.
i.e.: newScore = oldScore - ((oldscore - 1500) / 2)
this way, the ratings will still mostly be in order and matchups will still be pretty good, but it will mix things up a bit like you want.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

lantry your idea sounds better for me but it isnt the best solution.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

What do you guys think about the huge point differential at the top 200 or so players? The majority of the community is around 1400-2100, and the top 200 are from 2300-3800. Is the top player at 3800 actually "1500" points better than a 2300 player? Probably not.
So isn't the bottom part of the ladder a better indicator of skill? i.e. a 2000 would almost definitely beat a 1600, but a 2800 probably can beat a 2400 half the time.

Ladder resets would change this because the ladder would be a better indicator of skill. There's a shorter time to improve your score, so the community wouldn't be so far spread out from 1400-3800. If the ladder resets every 2-3 months or so, the scores probably would range from 1400-2500 imo.
So yeah, main problem is that the ladder doesn't actually show how good you are, once you reach 2000+.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17, 2011 10:39

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
amarito

amarito

i voted no.
we should remove multiplayer games (not team games) from ratings. Multiplayer games are unfair to individual skills just because of the mere fact that alliances can be made, wether by cheating (same player two accounts), random aggresion of bots against a real player or by being forced into like two mediocre players ganging up on one good player just because it's the most clever thing to do. Most of the cheating comes from there anyway.
Sphink

Sphink

I would like to beat this old horse back to life. I think there have been some good points and ideas raised in this thread. I'm not quite sure what gspy was talking about, I think he misunderstood the points I was trying to make. I never said anything about removing the scoring system (although he did) or any feature of the game.

Besides that, sims had a good idea with the hall of fame.

Somebody mentioned 90days wasn't long enough with the regular 1d per turn games.. 90 days just seems like a good number to me, 4 quarters in a year.. Maybe every six months would be better and just have 2halves? Idk I like 90days/4quarters personally.

Some people disagree with resets altogether. To that I say there are a LOT of games that have a similar ranking system. They call them "seasons". Starcraft obviously comes to mind first off.. Clash of clans (mobile game) is another that uses seasons"

Last thought, a lot of people have mentioned separate rankings for team games...

How about 3 separate ranking systems? Keep the original one everybody has and loves now. Add a separate one for team games. And add yet another one for the "seasons"...

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
[Avatar]
Mantis Lord

[Avatar]
Mantis Lord

I would like to add that Uniwar games span a wide, wide range of durations. I have recently completed 3+ games that lasted for more than 4 months each. It would be really strange to start a game one day, and not have it completed before the current ladder resets. I think 2 resets a year is a much better balance.

We should also discuss long term rating vs ladder rankings. Right now, the ladder serves as the only tool to try and find players rated near your 'skill' level to challenge others or invite them to play as teammates. All that information would get lost in a ladder reset. So keep the old ladders public for viewing, or do a ladder system and a separate long-term rating.

How does a helicopter catch the flu, exactly?
Forum Index » New Feature Request