[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
TOP PLAYERS TOURNAMENT
Forum Index » Tournaments
vincent0923

vincent0923

2 seeded players,vincent and hiro are kicked out in 1st round,
I chose a very risky strategy(battery+ship+heli) rather than normal ship building,it worked ok in one game but i made a mistake in defence.1 draw+1 loss made me out of the tourney, i will concerntrate on organizing the event anyway. Enjoy guys.
blight111

blight111

I decided to quit the tournament and surrendered both of my games to Johnalei.
The reason is that he was having amazingly good luck in his attacks.
The final straw was when his marauder did 5 damage to my marauder (with no gangup), just managing to kill it.
(this is not impossible, but unlikely, especially after lots of good luck in previous turns as well).
Just to be clear - I am in no way saying there is any foul play - Johnalei is an excellent player, and he also had some amazing luck.
Its just that I am interested in games of skill and have no interest in playing a fancy version of coin-toss.

johnalei

johnalei

Blight111, I already made it very clear I was very lucky to win you in the email I sent out to the tournament participants. It's hard for a 2500p player to win a 2700p one, right? I also told my best Uniwar friends that you have very good skills. However, I think being a top player, you should tell the whole story. At the time of the "luck" hit, you already 250p behind. And about the "lucky" hit, you should let the readers know it was a 10p marauder attacked by 3 marauders, 6p + 8p + 10p. If you think the last hit my 10p marauder kill your 5p (which was brought down from 10p by the 6+8 ) was unbelievable lucky, I would say 6p+8p+10p marauders kill a 10p marauder is normal.
This tournament organized by Soli sparked an exciting point to the Uniwar. I don't want to raise any argument with you to ruin the wonderful environment. I am not going to reply to any post if you argue back. You are welcome to replay these games with me for fun, just like I did with rainbow on 1v1 and with theJinx/Danndruff on 2v2. I added all players in this tournament to my friend list, including you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15, 2011 17:21

[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

johnalei wrote: However, I think being a top player, you should tell the whole story. At the time of the "luck" hit, you already 250p behind. And about the "lucky" hit, you should let the readers know it was a 10p marauder attacked by 3 marauders, 6p + 8p + 10p. If you think the last hit my 10p marauder kill your 5p (which was brought down from 10p by the 6+8 ) was unbelievable lucky, I would say 6p+8p+10p marauders kill a 10p marauder is normal.

If this is true, then I think john didn't get lucky. I agree it's quite probable that a 6, 8 , and 10 marauder would kill a 10 health marauder.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15, 2011 18:27

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
[Avatar]
Tvetan

[Avatar]
Tvetan

I agree with nfong on this one. Totally probable.

The Old Lie; Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
blight111

blight111

johnalei wrote: Blight111, I already made it very clear I was very lucky to win you in the email I sent out to the tournament participants. It's hard for a 2500p player to win a 2700p one, right? I also told my best Uniwar friends that you have very good skills. However, I think being a top player, you should tell the whole story. At the time of the "luck" hit, you already 250p behind. And about the "lucky" hit, you should let the readers know it was a 10p marauder attacked by 3 marauders, 6p + 8p + 10p. If you think the last hit my 10p marauder kill your 5p (which was brought down from 10p by the 6+8 ) was unbelievable lucky, I would say 6p+8p+10p marauders kill a 10p marauder is normal.
This tournament organized by Soli sparked an exciting point to the Uniwar. I don't want to raise any argument with you to ruin the wonderful environment. I am not going to reply to any post if you argue back. You are welcome to replay these games with me for fun, just like I did with rainbow on 1v1 and with theJinx/Danndruff on 2v2. I added all players in this tournament to my friend list, including you.

I was already down 250 points because you were very luck in a previous turn (which you fully admitted in the chat). Then you got super lucky and killed another Marauder by hitting it for 5 damage. Try playing a few test games and see how often a marauder does 5 damage to another marauder with no gangup. Its very rare. Even doing 4 damage is not very likely.

Yes, there were 3 marauders, but your 10 marauder was out of range initially, and the other marauders had to run away or else get killed themselves, so its not like you had 6 attacks or anything like that. You killed my 10 health marauder with just 3 attacks and no gangup at all.

You got lucky and that's part of the game. I have gotten lucky in previous games myself. If you only did 4 damage to my marauder (or did not kill my previous marauder), I would have had 2 more marauders and a win. I find it frustrating to play a game where luck completely overrides skill. You must admit the entire outcome of our game came down to killing my 2 marauders where you had 2 lucky shots.

Again, I think you are an excellent player and you played very well. I am not saying there was any foul play. Every player gets lucky sometimes. My complaint is about the game itself.
johnalei

johnalei

Blight said, Quote - "You killed my 10 health marauder with just 3 attacks and no gangup at all. ".
Yes I said I was lucky to win you at the first email I report. I don't mean to argue but don't you think 3 hits are gang attacks? Top player game, win or lose, mostly by chance. Although I am newbee, lose a game to me is not shame. Could we stop arguing? Be friend.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16, 2011 01:49

[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

if only +1 gangup (same hex) it looks like it's in the neighborhood of a 1 in 20 chance. So a nice roll for sure. It happens though.

Random thoughts: Sap vs. sap is so tactical that luck of the roll may end up being a bigger deal (given less room for differences in strategy to prove significant - same race basically boils down to 'who got more gang-up'?) than it would be in cross-race matches. I can imagine the temptation in tourneys is to play same race battles to avoid balance issues, but that's a little unfortunate since the game really shines in cross-race matchups, which have a stronger balance of strategy and tactics IMO. I'd be more interested in doing tourneys that do stuff like have each player play each side of a cross-race matchup on some not-too-terribly-unbalanced map, then use tiebreakers like who lasted more rounds before losing a base in case both players win the advantaged race part of it. Is that common or what are the drawbacks? Just curious. </$.02>
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

or does same hex give no gang-up? The 'help' language maybe implies this, but it has seemed to me like you get a +1 from same hex, but I don't think I've tested that one specifically.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

gangup1 from same hex and the ones right next to it. gangup2 if you go farther around, and gangup3 from behind.
But you kan also get gangup3 from ranged attack from 3 positions - this is however not explained in "how to play"...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

"gangup3 from ranged attack from 3 positions" – that I've never heard or noticed. Can you explain? I thought there was some language somewhere that assured that +1 is the most you get from ranged, but now I can't find that.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

thats a misconception..

gangup bonus is always related to to the location of prewious attack.

- attack after a ranged always is +1
- you can get +1, 2 or 3 from ranged after a close attack
- a swarmer attack 90degrees on attacking direction out from target gets +3
- a wyrm attack from same direction as close attack at max range gets +3
- a battery/walker from same direction as close attack at range 4-5 gets +2

i have made a draving... a will see if i can publish it

this post should probably be placed somewhere else... but there isnt any moderation..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18, 2011 08:03

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
vincent0923

vincent0923

another Qtr Finalist comes out:Shprot defeated another potential champion competitor Panpopo,who is considered to be the chinese no.1 1vs1 player

Result so far:
Round 1
Blight111 vs Totoro (winner Blight111)
Rainbow vs Johnalei (winner Johnalei)
Gracier vs Aegis (not yet finished)
Panpopo vs Shprot(winner Shprot)
Thewall vs KKeeize (winner Thewall)
Elroyomj vs Paolo (winner Elroyomj)
Hiro109 vs Sdrawde (winner Sdrawde)
vincent0923 vs Whisper (winner Whisper)

QTR Final
Blight111 vs Johnalei (winner:Johnalei)
Thewall vs Elroyomj (winner:Thewall)
Sdrawde vs Whisper (not yet finish)
Shprot vs (winner of Gracier and aegis)(not yet started)
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

(also sorry for forked conversation) – just wanted to say thanks simsverd for the graphic, I just verified it is correct, which is a really huge deal. Just curious, where did you get this info? Thanks for sharing. I'm talking about the +2 and +3 ranged spots after a non-ranged hit – the rest was as I understood. I think I've noticed that ranged gang-up is scoring a little better than it should and it sounds like this accounts for it. Wow.

Next question is – why? This seems like a strange diagram to have to memorize. Particularly the +3 spot two hexes directly behind – why is this such a sweet spot? What a boon to wyrms. If you want to help khral/titan balance, this seems like an easy thing to take away (at some small impact to khral/sap balance, if players are counting on this to finish helis say with swarmers from the +3 spots on the side – as I will now go about doing...) Again, wow.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

why +3 bonus from 90 degrees attack?? it's stupid...
Forum Index » Tournaments