[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Terrain visibility
Forum Index » New Feature Request
trogdor

trogdor

If terrain could affect visibility it would allow you to hide units, suprise attacks, etc. for a more comprehensive strategy. Maybe a toggle in game creation for guerrila mode or something like that.
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

I like this idea! I wouldn't mind hiding a tank behind some mountains and then ... SURPRISE!!
The Dogalyst

The Dogalyst

This is an excellent idea. In other words, treat visibility just like mobility. Each unit has a vision strength, and each terrain has a vision cost.

For example, a marine could have a vision of 8, but the cost to look over flat ground would be 2, so they could see 4 spaces away if it were all flat, just like they can today. But the cost of forest would be 4, so they could only see thru 2 cells of forest, and the cost of mountain would be 6, so they could never see past a mountain range. Ariel units would typically not be affected by terrain, except perhaps mountains because these are not high altitude units and mountains have lots of nooks and crannies -- maybe they should only be able to see across two mountain cells.
Anonymous

Anonymous
ground units on mountains could see further ...
The Dogalyst

The Dogalyst

Anonymous wrote: ground units on mountains could see further ...

That makes sense!
Anonymous

Anonymous
Good idea
poonly

poonly

Good idea! I guess flying units would have the same LOS. How about not showing the health of units in trees until after you attack them. Give units in the trees a bit of camo.
Anonymous

Anonymous
These ideas are fine as long as its an optional toggle. If any of these ideas were implemented for all games without an option to disable them then I would stop playing Uniwar and (I think) so would many other players.
GameShaman

GameShaman

Anonymous wrote: These ideas are fine as long as its an optional toggle. If any of these ideas were implemented for all games without an option to disable them then I would stop playing Uniwar and (I think) so would many other players.

Not sure who you are, but if you stopped playing because terrain affected visibility, that is idiotic. And I highly doubt many, if any (other than you) would stop playing as a result of this. If it did get implemented, it should affect all games that have fog of war on. Having toggles for things like this would start the devs down a path they don't want to go. Next thing you know, people will be asking for a toggle on whether helicopters can move after attacking, a toggle for whether Engineers can move and EMP in the same turn, a toggle for underlings having air attacks, etc..

My $.02.
[Yahoo!] [ICQ]
Anonymous

Anonymous
GameShaman,

Your angry response is exactly the reason that I posted anonymously. Since you are not being polite, let me be blunt.

This game is fairly complex as is and has a long learning curve. I am sure this already limits our player base significantly. If you start adding complex new rules on visibility and force these rules on everyone, that will just make the game that much more complex and reduce our potential player base further.

My honest opinion is that the ideas presented in this threat are all terrible and have zero chance of being implemented. I was just trying to be polite in my previous post by sugesting a toggle.

Anonymous

Anonymous
On the contrary, I think visibility being blocked by terrain is pretty intuitive, it wouldn't add significantly to the complexity of playing the game.

The effect on balance however, is hard to judge.
Destructor49

Destructor49

I think it's a good concept idea, but then if it was implemented there would be the question of how much viability would a mountain take off, and how that would work with line of sight. Would it just block off certain areas until said areas were explored, or would the visibility change based off of any units current line of sight?
ENCE

ENCE

The games FOG of War (FOW) should be done just like advanced wars. This is one feature that I really miss. Having visibility like advance wars would give the losing side for instance a chance to surprise the enemy and possibly turn the tide. With the way the game is at the moment, I feel like there is almost virtually no FOW.

My two cents.
jeremiad

jeremiad

I like this idea. It opens more stealth strategies.
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

This is a big one. It would add greatly to gameplay.
Toggles? it should definitely be used with FOW, regardless.
It should work almost exactly like mobility, except mountains give a sight bonus. You could also make standing on a forest decrease the sight, but i think that would make them too unfavorable to stand on. As it currently is, mountains are where you want to go already, so you should't add that much incentive. As for hiding units health and such, that sounds too complicated. How would that even work with the attack preview?
Forum Index » New Feature Request