[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
v1.0.3 iPhone
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates
timfoil740

timfoil740

when is it expected to be available?
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

Really looking forward to this update!
Makes me consider re-entering the game after 2 months absence, even at the high cost of risking marriage problems.
rolando

rolando

timfoil740 wrote: when is it expected to be available?

Hopefully this week, but we can never predict Apple's timing.
[Avatar]
davegobe

[Avatar]
davegobe

Sounds like this update will reduce/eliminate the number of players spamming "unwinnable" rated games. Going through pages of Montevideo, Land Bridge, and Crossroads can be fun when looking for a game to join
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

kralux wrote: - Updated Rated/Unrated settings: Rated games now require all races to be available and fog of war enabled. This will prevent players abusing race advantages.

I'm not sure I like this idea. The issue is not whether all races are available; the issue is that the host can choose a race and lock all other players out of it. I think that I would prefer that, in a rated game, the host is restricted to the same races that the other opponents are. This would still maintain the balance.

As an example, I enjoy playing X-Island. However, if the Titans can build protected Walkers in their territory, they can hit almost any other hex across the water. I prefer playing this game without Titans. If I as host also cannot play as Titans, how is this unfair?

Another type of game I like is what I call Civil War, where all players are the same race. This is probably the most balanced type of game out of all of them, yet this rule change would prohibit rated games of this type.

Please reconsider the way you are implementing this change. I think it would be much better to just limit the host to the same races as his opponents.

Thanks!
[Avatar]
davegobe

[Avatar]
davegobe

Gargoyle wrote:
I'm not sure I like this idea. The issue is not whether all races are available; the issue is that the host can choose a race and lock all other players out of it. I think that I would prefer that, in a rated game, the host is restricted to the same races that the other opponents are. This would still maintain the balance.

I agree with Gargoyle on this one. As long as the other opponents have access to the same races as the host, this should keep the playing field level. Also, it is fun to have a Titans only, etc. "civil war" battle where everyone is restricted to the same race, and I don't see why that couldn't be rated since there wouldn't be any unbalancing issues.

my 2 cents
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

rolando wrote:
  timfoil740 wrote: when is it expected to be available?

Hopefully this week, but we can never predict Apple's timing.

I bet it takes a little longer this time, since Apple is kind of distracted by deploying iPhone 3.0 this week.
Jelaludo

Jelaludo

kralux wrote: - Updated Rated/Unrated settings: Rated games now require all races to be available and fog of war enabled. This will prevent players abusing race advantages.

I also agree with Gargoyle on the race requirement for a rated game

- the host is subject to the same restrictions as everybody else

not

- all races must be available

some maps are actually *more* balanced without Titans teleporting or Terrans sending in a first round raider.
brainiac

brainiac

will the updated maps be implemented into games already in progress? because that could cause some problems and potentially change the outcome of the battle.
rolando

rolando

brainiac wrote: will the updated maps be implemented into games already in progress? because that could cause some problems and potentially change the outcome of the battle.

Nope. The updated maps are in a sense new versions. So any games that have been created or started from the current client will not be affected. At the same time, when you update to version 1.0.3 you can still finish those games with the old maps. However, when you create a new game in version 1.0.3 it will be using the updated maps.

In short, your games are safe.

Will updating to the new iphone os be mandatory to keep playing? Because i don't plan to any time soon (and many ipod touch users may feel the same way, or at least be putting it off as long as possible, since they have to pay $10)
Unimarobj

Unimarobj

Guys, I don't think that the whole "all races must be available" change means that every race has to be played. I think it just means for rated games, every player must have the choice of using whichever race is desired.

I'd like to know 5200's question as well, the answer to it. Will we need to update our iphones and ipod touches? I'm using an iPod Touch, and I've been thinking about buying the update, but I'm not sure I want to JUST yet.

I do like the sound of most of the update. Especially the ability to listen to our own music, I've HATED not having that option lol
Team chat sounds cool as well ^_^

I can't wait! How much longer?!?!?!?!
rolando

rolando

5200 wrote: Will updating to the new iphone os be mandatory to keep playing? Because i don't plan to any time soon (and many ipod touch users may feel the same way, or at least be putting it off as long as possible, since they have to pay $10)

You do not have to update to the new OS to be able to play the next version. You will only have to update UniWar to version 1.0.3 to continue online play (once it becomes available).

Great, thanks. $10 definitely isn't worth it for what iPod touch users get in return, from what I can see.
under

under

Sent June 5th to Apple...

Holy crap they are taking their sweet time getting this one out. I thought the wait time was more like 4-5 days (not 15+). Anxiously awaiting the new update.
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates