[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Change the play order for full planet.
Forum Index » New Feature Request
ahbritto

ahbritto

In 8 player Full Planet: due to play order, the first four players that move are at a huge advantage to the remaining four.

Play normally proceeds something like top, bottom, left, right, then the four corners. The first four players are guaranteed to win the shared disputed bases to both their sides on the outer ring: capture the base with one piece and attack the enemy's other pieces. Result: the enemy is too weak to dispute the captured base. Final result: first 4 players have 4 bases and the rest have 2 bases at the beginning of round 2.

It is not uncommon to have four drop outs after the first round. This takes forever, as each of their sessions take 12 to 24 to run out of time.

To improve play: Make play go clockwise or counterclockwise.

Then only the first player will be at an advantage and the last player will be at a disadvantage.

To further improve play: Choose the starting player at random.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Definitely!

I was going to post this this morning but I see someone already has.

With a slight rearrangement of armies it could be arrange so even the 1st player doesn't have an advantage. Only position marines on the mountains the the player's right (or whatever). Then each player has one base they can capture.

magic molly

magic molly

yeah, basically all that. Make turns (counter)clockwise, and give the first player only one (or no) inf on one side to let the last player still get a base.

However, it could also be cool to make the four last players start with a speeder/marauder/swarmer so that they have a chance to kill one of the capturing units. (it might be better for khrals to get an extra underling on each side though, as the swarmer is only good in, well, swarms) Or, make it so that no one starts with inf outside of the centre. Just something to make the bases not guaranteed.
[Avatar]
Star Driven

[Avatar]
Star Driven

magic molly wrote: yeah, basically all that. Make turns (counter)clockwise, and give the first player only one (or no) inf on one side to let the last player still get a base.

However, it could also be cool to make the four last players start with a speeder/marauder/swarmer so that they have a chance to kill one of the capturing units. (it might be better for khrals to get an extra underling on each side though, as the swarmer is only good in, well, swarms) Or, make it so that no one starts with inf outside of the centre. Just something to make the bases not guaranteed.

I wouldnt try to over-complicate it, having starting speeders/maruders/swarmers would only cause more dispute than it would fix. I think the clockwise idea with the first player only getting a single infantry on the sie closest to the last player is a good idea.

-= The UniWar Team =-
lion37

lion37

Another idea is to have each player start already owning 2 bases in the outer ring with no soldier units at all. Seems fair and simple to me.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

lion37 idea is the most fair and straightforward idea.
If you guys like that, we will modify the map and create a V2 for the next update so that this will be a better balanced map to play.
Thank you for reporting this and improving the game's maps!
lion37

lion37

kralux wrote: lion37 idea is the most fair and straightforward idea.
If you guys like that, we will modify the map and create a V2 for the next update so that this will be a better balanced map to play.
Thank you for reporting this and improving the game's maps!

Thanks Kralux.

If you dont mind, please keep the old map as well (maybe call them FP1 and FP2).
Lots of people have invested a lot of effort into developing strategies for FP1, and I dont want them to blame me for taking away their map.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

There are always going to be people resisting changes but if the changes are for the better, I think that it is worth it.
Keeping two versions may help people who try to trick others into unfair games and so our role is to prevent that from happening which is why any unbalanced map should be reported and fixed.
Synozeer

Synozeer

On a similar note, the Quintus map has the white player (who goes last) starting with no units while everyone else starts with one infantry unit, making it hugely unfair for them.
ahbritto

ahbritto

Keep the old map! The old map is wonderful and balanced for team play. My original comments were for balancing single player play.

lion37

lion37

ahbritto wrote: Keep the old map! The old map is wonderful and balanced for team play. My original comments were for balancing single player play.

Agreed! The old map is very well balanced for team games. It is only unfair in free-for-all games. I would hate to lose the old map for team games.
brainiac

brainiac

everyone starting with all their bases is a good solution for FFA and each position will still have its strengths and weaknesses - going before your neighbors or seeing what they built so you can counter it.

For both FFA and team matches i think the last four players should start with the grunts in the middle on a mountain hex, that way they are still somewhat useful.
Forum Index » New Feature Request