[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
OLD POST - Six New Units To Be Created. We Need Your Ideas!
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Toss

[Avatar]
Toss

Damn, this jet idea is fantastic.. and the afterburner skill sounds sweet, I already have some ideas to use this both defense and offense.
BIG PLUS for Jet Plane!

But drop-ships would be sweet addition also - if the Sap tanks are worse than Tans' tanks the drops could make them more mobile to even things up a bit. I don't need to say about ninja-style drops behind enemy lines to put pressure on him, please think about fast transport units - since Tans have already tele, Khrals have burrow and marines don't have anything.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

1 flying support unit per race.
I agree with cpt. Hawaiian, no more attacking aerial unit.
These flying support unit should capable to transport and heal.
And have special ability which affect all races to make game more fun.
But by strategic reasons, this ability can help its race overcome its previous weakness.
I want these abilities don't do direct damage, so players must use them tactically.
Example: Sap's aerial support unit can shoot shock cannon in long fistance.
This cannon affect all race, has area affect. Any unit in the area will reduce defence and attack stat to 50% for 2 turn.
It should be good for penetrate walker wall.
----------------------- -------

And 1 aquatic attacking unit per race is good.
All ship should capable to transport ground units.
noelsacid

noelsacid

Sounds very ambitious - but more units will probably not solve the balancing/gameplay issues. Id much rather see proper balance of existing units! My main problem with the proposal is that air units are not subject to terrain modifiers, and I think terrain/cover should be integral to the game.

With flying units you might as well be playing on completely featureless maps. Sure it makes a difference to ground units trying to defend - but if you add more air units, and cheaper ones, the super mobility, uniform stats and cheap cost will make it easier to go air only, and result in some very boring air games, purely dependent on size of the map. Would definitely need more (affordable) anti air land options to balance it.

I would like to see more hard counters of different unit type (eg no more air to counter air...), and more special abilities to allow factions to win on maps that are currently unbalanced against them.

eg terrain flattening for titans, defensive emplacements for sapiens, spawning emplacements for kral...
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

That's why new aerial units should be support units.

I've got new idea.
Sap new aerial unit's special ability : radiation bomb.
It can shoot radiation bomb at 3 block distant.
The target tile and area 1 tile around it become radiation area.
Any unit of any race which place on the radiation tile wil reduce 1hp after turn end.
The radiation will persist for 5 turn, then these tiles return to normal.
It affect all races, but it should impact most to titan because titan prefer to stand still.
While kharl simply move away.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

Kharl new aerial unit's special ability : spawn bugs.
It will create 4 bugs around it.
These bugs are ground lite units.
They have ultrashort life span, they can live for 5 turn.
Then to use them, you must spawn them near the frontline.
They has mobility 12, good attack stat to air and ground lite units.
But they have poor defence and poor attack stat against ground heavy.
When it fight against marine , marine become 4hp and it become 2hp.
When fight copter in normal terrain, it was kill in one shot but copter become 7hp.
They should be good against marine and copter.
But poorly against titan because titan are almost all ground heavy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05, 2012 23:01

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

And titan aerial unit's ability : gravity field.
It will create gravity field radiate 3 tiles around it.
Any tiles in the field will have mobility cost =6 for all units, include the creator itself.
Underlings in the area are unable to resurface because of too much gravity.
The defence and attack stat still the same.
The creator will have gravity field around them for 5 turn.
When it move, the gravity field move too.
This field should affect most to underling and swarmer.
Sap will get some affect, but ability to move after attack may help to mitigate it.
cafaling

cafaling

Hmmmm... OH!

Sapiens-
Dog - kills most non-mechanical ground light units in one hit, Similar movement speed to maruader (Minus two hexagons).
Unpackable Barricade - High defense rating, Cannot attack, Takes one turn to unpack (Extremely vulnerable when not unpacked), Cannot pack up.

Titans-
Sonic Resonator - Freezes all organics for one turn, can bolster damage of allied forces within one square (Singleplayer only).
Pretender - Can create a hologram of a more powerful unit for 5 turns, Extremely vulnerable when attacked.

Kharaleans-
Doom Underling - Acts like normal Underling, Minus three defense, Cannot burrow, When next to enemy, Can sacrifice self to "doom" enemy (Like plague, except irreversible), Appears to enemies as normal underling.
Drone - Can land on any unit, If unit is enemy the unit wil lose health, If unit is allied, the Drone acts like an Infector, Engineer, Assimilator, etc. can only land on ground lights.

Please consider these, if any are overpowered I can revise this.

Note: I noticed that subs were already in order so I replaced Submarine.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 06, 2012 09:17

I may seem sane, but really, I worship nukes...
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Balancing issues will be very important here...

My ideas:

General:
One new aquatic unit for each race. Capable of transporting 1 heavy/medium or two light ground units.
All should have a light/medium attack, and a special ability for each race.
And also one new support unit for each race.

Khral:
- Crocodile or cracken. Can submerge in the sea (like burrow).
- baneling (or other name if baneling is copyrighted by starcraft). Can detonate next to enemy unit to dammage it more than ordinary ling. To enemy it looks like ordinary underling. (This is not my idea, but i like it!)

Saps:
- hoovercraft. can use both sea and land (not mountain).
- mine layer. Can place mines on the map that ground units take dammage when stepping on.

Titans:
- Hydrofoil. Fast sea transport. Maybe move after attack like speeder?
- Scout drone. Fast and good vision. very weak attack. Can boost walker range to 6 by giving more accurate targeting data to the walker when in proximity of the target.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
savior59

savior59

I like all of the positive feedback, keep it up guys. This is what I think should be put for the new aquatic units, some ideas are mine, some... not quite so much.

Overall

-These new aquatic units should be considered "support" aquatic units, but should be able to attack and defend themselves, along with having special abilities and being able to transport units. When submerged, enemy "attack" boats adjecent to the unit should recieve a number above it (much like the underlings). However, if another support unit gets adjecent to the submerged unit, then it should be revealed, and can be attacked like any other aquatic unit (Same goes for water mines).

-The Submarine (Sapien) and Slitherene (Khralean) should have 1-2 range, while the Hydrofoil (Titan) should have 2-3 range. Sight, mobility, and attack stats are all variables at the moment.

Aquatic Units
-Submarine: A moderate aquatic unit that can submerge under water, along with transporting units. Its special abillity allows it to lay underwater mines in any vacent tile (3 Turn cooldown). Any unit that lands on a mined tile will take 2 damage, and all mines are perminant, but can be destroyed when revealed.

-Slitherene: It is much like a giant squid or octopus, which can also transport land units and submerge under water. This unit will be able to "Ink" a 3 hex area for 2 turns (9 turn cooldown). Water tiles covered in ink will cost 4 mobility each, and will be inaccessable to submerge in (all units that were underwater when the ink went off, are forced to surface).

-Hydrofoil: Personally, I like most of the ideas of this unit (and it's name). This unit should have a large amount of mobility (even when underwater) and have a decent range of sight. Also, the hydrofoil should be able to create a decoy hydronaught (9 turn cooldown) above it, or a "hologram". The decoy will only be able to be used when the hydrofoil is underwater, and will be ontop of the hydrofoil for 3 turns. The decoy will be unable to do damage to enemies, and when attacked, it will disapear.

Well here's my idea on what should be added to the water unit arsenal. Each of these units have special abilities that can be well used against both races. In my mind, these units should cost 400-600cc, have moderate defense and attack, and be able to transport units and sumberge!
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

For new aquatic units.
I prefer amphibious units rather than submarines.
I ever play strategic game with submarine, it's Redalert 1&2.
If the map have wide water area, you just build as much submarines as you can.
While build as least other units as possible to survive your base.
Once you have enough submarines, you can rule the sea.
After that just put 2-3 long-ranged ships in the sea, go freely to bombard the enemy shore.
That's enough, you win.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

I think naval minesweeper like underling wouldn't work.
Because the sea have far lesser unit density than the land.
If enemy advance his submarine to you like underling, you'll never have enough amount of ship to detect its position accurately.
You have to guess and navigate your ship blindly.
It's a bingo, not a minesweeper like underling in the land.

So, I prefer to add one amphibious unit per race.
This unit, in general, should capable of transport ground unit. It should have good mobility and high defence. Then it's quite reliable to transport your units.
Also you can use its strong defence to block the enemy's ships and retreat your damaged battleships.
It should fire at range 1-2, but with a weak firepower.
Then if you intend to spam it in huge number and rule the sea, you'll lost.
The main naval force should remain the same mighty destroyer/leviathan/hydronaugh t.
But when the right time come, it has special power to beat its race's important obstacles.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

Here I try to mix&match many bright ideas previously posted to make new amphibious units.

Sapien :
Sapien now has weakness about fighting hydronaught, walker and plasma tank.
To beat these artillery, they need unit which has attack range 1-2 like swarmer and good mobility.
Sapien's new amphibious unit : hovercraft
mobility 12, attack range 1-2,
5 stars defence,
3 stars attack to ground heavy
2 stars attack to aquatic, aerial and ground light.
Special ability : activate jet
When activate jet, its engine work faster.
Then it can do double actions like marauder.
If hydronaught/walker is far, it can move at maximum mobility of 24 (12 x 2).
If hydronaught is nearby, it can do double hits or hit-and-run.
This ability have to recharge 5 turns after deliver.

Kharlean
Now they have weakness against destroyer, copter and marine.
New amphibious unit : crocodile
mobility 12, attack range 1-2,
5 stars defence,
4 stars attack to ground light
3 stars attack to aquatic
1 stars attack to ground heavy and aerial.
Special ability : crocodile dart
Crocodile is quite good against ship. You can use it to hunt other race's amphibious units.
It can partialy compensate the weakness of leviathan.
However, it still much underhand when confront with real battleships.
Except when it use all its muscle strength and dart to enemy, it attack stat become double.
Then it can do considerable damage to destroyer. Although it take counterattack as usual.
It also good for hunting marine near the shore.
But it must stay away from tank and copter, leave them to garuda and leviathan.
Crocodile dart need 5 turn to recharge.
I think this ability is simple, but actually good.
Imagine when a garuda was hit by two 10hp garudas, it's near death.

Titan
Now they have weakness against gang-up garudas and swarmers.
New amphibious unit : hydrofoil
mobility 10, attack range 1-2,
5 stars defence,
3 stars attack to aerial
2 stars attack to aquatic, ground heavy and ground light.
Special ability : blasting plasma
It can shoot blasting plasma at range 2-3.
This plasma has 1.5time attack strength of normal gun at the target.
And it also deliver 0.5 time damage to units around the target, include same race units.
Hydrofoil will recieve counterattack from the target units if they can.
But it don't recieve counterattack from units around the target.
This ability can't deliver after move. It need 5 turn to recharge.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09, 2012 19:51

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

sorry, it's repeated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09, 2012 18:17

[Avatar]
soupnet

[Avatar]
soupnet

OK, I haven't been following this thread so sorry if I'm repeating ideas that have already come up. I don't have specific ideas for units but I do have one point I hope the developers will keep in mind.

I have noticed that as the size of the map scales up, Titans become proportionately over-powered. If there are isolated areas, areas that are slow to walk to due to mountain etc, Titans activate god mode. You could say this comes down to map design but now we have the ability to create our own maps it would be nice if the game design allowed for more flexible map design. Honestly I'd love nothing more than to play on massive maps four times the size of the current maximum, with 8 players. That would be epic... even if the game takes months to complete.

I have nothing against Titans, I just think their power scales too well with the size of the map compared to the others. While I don't suggest removing or nerfing teleport, I do think that the new units should help the other races scale up with the map in a similar way.

I think transport units are an absolute "must have".
cogger

cogger

How about a stationary unit? Something more for defense, short range, but strong attack so you could control that small area. Strong attack, strong defense, but would cost about 1000. A bunker and turret for sapiens, large venomous plant for khrals, and something like a lower atmosphere satelite cannon for titans.
Forum Index » New Feature Request