[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
OLD POST - Six New Units To Be Created. We Need Your Ideas!
Forum Index » New Feature Request
savior59

savior59

@Starry. You appear to be confused, adding submarine units would not make the game into a battle of attrition, these special abilities would help jazz up naval battles. Submarine units have powerful strengths and weaknesses, like having powerful, anti-navy abilities as well as being able to detect enemy submarines. Think of them as a naval support unit, they dont do MASSIVE amounts of damage to enemies, but do help alot. Making just submarines in a map would not be a good idea, the hydrofoil's ability is a hologram, which it's only basic use is fooling enemies and transporting units. Water mines would not become overpowered, because enemy "support" units can detect mines. Along with all this, I don't even think it's possible for ink to be overpowered.

Also, I can't really tell what you mean by "5 Star defense", or "3 Star attack", please be specific for all stats. Amphibous units, to me, would probably hurt the game alot more than help it. To me, the special abilities you have listed seem a little out there (Double damage attack) and seem to me that if you mass these types of units, it's a sure victory (double attack + any other naval or aerial unit= Cheap kills).

Along with naval units, we should also discuss other kinds of units that should be added to the game ("super" underlings, Snipers, Jets, Titan Drones, Etc.) Personally, I think this new unit should help each race fight its "weak" race (Example: New Sapien unit should be the most useful against titans).
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

@Savior. To detect 1 underling position with 100% accuracy, you need at least 3 ground units around them.
In the land, it's not too difficult because you can build many footsoldier. Footsoldiers are very cheap.
But in the sea, you have to build many ships or aerial units to detect submarines.
They are much more expensive.
That's why I think it's impossible to build enough units to detect sea underling.

Maybe it's possible if the way to detect submarine is easier than the way to detect underling.
I just worry that submarines will ruin my favourite game like the previous games I ever played.
---------------

Ab out 5star defence, I don't have sharp idea yet.
Maybe when destroyer shoot these amphibians, they receive 6hp damage (same toughness as destroyer).

3stars aquatic attack of crocodile, maybe it can make 3hp damage to destroyer.
When use special power, crocodile can deliver 6hp damage to destroyer (just the same strenght as destroyer's cannon).
Then if you keep spam crocodile, you will lose to destroyer.
You should build just a few of them, and wait for the right time to deliver special power.

While other amphibians with 2stars aquatic attack may make 2hp damage to destroyer.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10, 2012 22:01

savior59

savior59

@Starry, I see what you mean, but I wrote though that submarines can detect other submarines. So if you place your submarine near an enemy submarine, it would be see just like any other unit, and can be attacked like any other unit (IDK if I left this out or not). That would stop "underling" hunts. Also, thank you for clarifying the star system, now I understand.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

savior59 wrote: @Starry, I see what you mean, but I wrote though that submarines can detect other submarines. So if you place your submarine near an enemy submarine, it would be see just like any other unit, and can be attacked like any other unit (IDK if I left this out or not). That would stop "underling" hunts. Also, thank you for clarifying the star system, now I understand.

I see, this submarine idea maybe work.
cogger

cogger

It would be nice if the marines aa went back to 4, but i wouldnt call them the worst infantry. They can attack air, ehich underlings cant, and they can capture a base from one more space away than titans.(this has help me MANY times)
cogger

cogger

WOW, sorry, wrong topic post. Weird.
GunnyBunny

GunnyBunny

1a.) carrier units (ex. APC for humans): cannot attack, but infantry can enter to travel much more quickly
1b.) naval equivalent of above: same idea, but can take many other kinds of units
1c.) aerial equivalent....

2.) Mech Infantry: If you have played advanced wars or TC's Endwar you'll know what I mean. Reduced mobility compared to mobility and less damage to ground light units... low defense, but can wreak havoc on heavies if it gets close enough

3.) Anti-Air: eclipse is great for this... but how about anti-air units for Sapiens and Khraleans?

5.) Stealth Infantry: basically special forces; can enter "stealth" mode and detected same way as current underlings are

6.) Jets (fighters and/or bombers): super-fast; fighter would be strictly for air-air unless otherwise specified as a special ability; bombers would be vulnerable from the air but able to hit anything on the ground/in the sea next to them
[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

How about a turret unit? As in, you move it to where you want, select 'Deploy' and then you cannot move it but it has a ton of attack?

Another possible unit is a 'missile ship', which is an aquatic unit that can produce missiles and fire them at extreme range for obscene damage, but cannot fire if it runs out of missiles/suicide goats/laser crystals/whatever. Also cannot target air units (mayhap a little unfair on the Titans)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15, 2012 03:48

Sanity is for the weak!!!
Ben411

Ben411

I've been reading this thread, and I have some ideas for khraleans:

A ground-heavy unit that costs about 500-600, and initially starts off with mediocre stats but as ot kills other units, instead of getting more health, it gets stronger, so the other player will have to think about how they buy units, and not just spam marines/underlings/mechas. I haven't really thought of stats for it yet.

A ground-heavy unit that grabs other units and holds them down for 3-4 turns. During this period, neither unit can attack or counterattack, and they can't move either, so will be completely vulnerable to attacks. This can be used to pin down a stronger or more expensive unit, and sacrifice a weaker one. It would have mobility 10, repair 1 and have about 5 attack against all other types.

A ground-light unit with 12-13 strength against ground light and ground heavy, but weak against aerial and aquatic units, mobility 13, repair 2. It would regularly have a range of 1, but a special 'pounce' ability that would allow it to jump 2-3 spaces and land on another unit, pushing it back 1 space and causing damage to it, but only if there was a space behind it.

You could include 'super' units, but have maps with special bases that have to be captured, and are the only way to make them.

Aquatic-wise, I think that maybe khraleans could get an amphibian unit, sapiens could get a sub, and titans could get the 'observer' unit, because that'll make more of a difference.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28, 2012 08:31

[Avatar]
Tvetan

[Avatar]
Tvetan

I have an Idea for the "Amphibian Unit"
The Amphibian Unit should have to be next to land to be able to use the land ability
The Land Ability wouldnt actually allow the watercraft to move on land but rather across it to another water tile
to activate the ability you simply 1) Move Next to a Body of Water 2)Activate the Ability 3) After activating ability highlight the hexs that you want to travel across, hexs must be linear so from A to B no random paths
~I do not know how fast the unit should travel across the land should it be instant and a cool down? should it have a mobility of 13 while using ability?
Also i think that there should be a attack associated with said ability for instance if the amphibious cross paths with another unit maybe the ambiphibious unit can Trap the opponent in place doing 2 points of damage per turn (If the unit is inflicted with plague then the amount each turn is doubled) sapped unit cannot be controlled until A) Amphibious unit completely saps said unit or B) Said unit is freed by a friendly unit by killing Amphibious unit- also the amphibious unit should have all negative stat bonuses from land terrain except Swamp/Marsh which should give it a significant defense bonus.
If the Amphibious Unit Successfully kills the locked unit then the Amphibious successfully kills the said unit it should be granted the ability to move on land and sea also changing its land tile stat bonuses. Maybe mimicking Infantry Bonuses?
Amphibious unit should have 1-2 Range

The Old Lie; Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
boourns

boourns

I haven't read through all these ideas yet, but i thought i would add my opinions. I have borrowed from others obviously

If only 1 unit per race is being added, i definitely think it should be 1st and foremost used to address the imbalances in matchups that currently exist (sap>khral>titan>sap).

If flying units is the way to go, i could see something like this:

Sapiens getting a bomber or fighter jet type unit that does high damage vs ground heavy. Great for breaking through plasma tanks, and speedy enough to get to walkers (maybe a one turn ability like someone suggested for the marauder that bypasses engagement?). It could be 400ish in cost and have OK stats vs ground light and air to keep it relevent in sap vs khral matchups.

Khrals get a flying suicide unit that blows up doing high damage vs air and ground light in a certain radius. It would infect anything it doesn't kill outright. Perhaps it could still have base damage attack to keep it more versatile as well as usable vs titans, although personally i think khrals stomp titan too badly now to give them another good weapon in that matchup.

Titans getting a support unit that can detect buried underlings in say a 1-2 area radius (doesnt sound big but it cant be too good or buried lings becomes a dead strategy). Ability could be permanent or maybe activated on a 3 turn cooldown. It could have a secondary ability to allow speeders and tanks to be teleported if they are adjacent to it (with restrictions to keep it balanced, like only one unit at a time, on cooldown of say 2-3 turns). As far as stats it would be say 9 mobility, 5-6 defense and 5-6 attack vs ground light and air - low or no attack vs ground heavy.

Other observations:

- I am not a fan of any defense boosting abilities. They would stagnate the game further in long standoff matches
- Another water unit is a fantastic idea, it would probably be a better addition than ground or air units in terms of fleshing out the gameplay. But it would also require more water maps in ranked random
- Don't name the titan unit "observer". This game borrows enough from Starcraft already LOL
argon steele

argon steele

OK, i have not read this entire post. Maybe someone already suggested this, but I'll throw it out.... How about a jet-packed equipped Titan Mech? This piece would cost 200 and have identical stats as the regular mecha but would be able to fly and maybe have a slightly higher mobility. Nothing too game shattering, but just something fun to spice up the titans a little.
[Avatar]
cubanero

[Avatar]
cubanero

I didnt read all the posts but if you want to complex the game, it is better to add a new race with six units. That is a fair addition without any risks.
Ben411

Ben411

If you add another race, then who do they take control of (like with engineer, infector, assimilator) and how would they fit in with the actual storyline?
xEPSILON9x

xEPSILON9x

I would like to see some variants on the infantry units, That way you could capture bases not connected to the main land mass, without having to use the mecha's teleporting.

<Sapiens>
Nav al: Marine Divers. They would have that ability to dive below the waters surface, fulfilling the want for a submarine, be able to capture ports, and (possibly) have the ability to walk on land. They would be identical to regular marines in the other ways. Another option is that they permanently become regular marines when they step on land. Cost at 100.

Arial: Marine Paratroopers. They can be picked up and dropped off by copters. One copter can hold 2 paratroopers at a time. To release the paratroopers, you would choose a "drop" option and you would pick one marine paratrooper (if it is holding two) and choose an adjacent space to place the MP. You could do that to both MPs (if holding 2) in one turn. There would be a cool down time after an MP is dropped. If a copter is destroyed, so is any passenger it was carrying. Cost at 100.

<Titans>
Naval: Mecha "Jet-Stream". Similar to the Marine diver, but much faster & more powerful (then a regular mecha as well). Doesn't have the ability to transfer to land but could dominate the sea if used wisely. Cost at 150-200.

Arial: Drone? Sky-Runner? Considering they have the teleporting ability, the need for a "paratrooper" unit would be redundant. This would be a good time to give them an offense based air unit. A jet like thing perhaps? It needs to be badass, that's just a requirement. Fast and packs a serious punch, but relatively easy to destroy. Cost at 400-600.

<Khraleans>
Naval : Hydra. A massive sea serpent with multiple heads. Massive attack strength and defense strength, decent mobility. Range of 1, cost at about 1000. Would have the ability to submerge underwater.

Arial: Overling? An Underling with wings. Haven't thought into it much. Should probably be a little weaker then regular Underlings. Cost at 100-150.

Marine Divers and Mecha "Jet-Streams" (still working on the name) can detect submerged units adjacent to them, and since they're cheap, this would keep them from being undetectable, even on large sea stages. The Khralean Hydra can detect submerged units up to 2 or 3 spaces away, considering it's much more expensive.

On a side note I would like to see beach, highway, and bridge spaces. Possibly Oil rigs (Funds only) and Radar Towers (which would illuminate a large area of fog upon capture, and give funds.)

I would honestly like to hear anyone's thoughts on these unit ideas.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 18, 2012 13:59

The time we kill keeps us alive. - Rise Against
Forum Index » New Feature Request