[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
How to beat Titans Walker wall?
Forum Index » Sapiens
[Avatar]
Toss

[Avatar]
Toss

I'm trying to play more and more games vs titans and I have a serious problem. I'm playing on most aqua map, but I've decided to go tanks/engineers/batteries and after couple of turns I'm falling more and more behind. The titan has got walker/boat wall and I cant go anywhere near there. I'm left only with two batteries, engineer and one heli - I want to mass helis and rush on them with couple of them, but I dont know if I can stand this brute force at this moment.

What should Sap player do in such situation? I didn't build boats because the titans boats have longer range and they can out-range mine.

Cheers!
[Avatar]
zett

[Avatar]
zett

Titans scared me on long battles!!!

So far what I read from others post is that Sapiens have to rush since the begins of the battle. As you know the Titans are slow, so sapiens can take advantages of that. But when the Titans get a wall of Mechs or the boats, we can say the end of the battle for sapiens...

I am not agree the boats of the titans have 4 of range . I think is enough with Walker to worry about another water unit.. that why I don't play with Titans on water scenarios.

''One man can change the world to be a better place or fall into madness''
Varok
[Yahoo!]
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Here's the short answer: You're doomed.

If you let the Titan player get a wall of Walkers, they'll destroy you easily unless you have enough units to rush them. With only 4 units left, there's no way you'll be able to mass enough units before they put a wall of defensive units in front of the walkers, rendering your assault harmless. You might as well surrender.

In the future, try killing the walkers before the Titan player gets that many.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
Toss

[Avatar]
Toss

Well ok, so I'm dead this time in that scenario. So what should Sap player do on such maps? I don't remember the name, but it's a map in shape of letter S, with two naval yards for each player and two repair stations in the middle. I cant rush with tanks, marines, marauders because I can't cross the river with them. At the beginning of battle I've made two tanks and one marauder. The tanks were standing on the rep. stat. and the marauder had rushed into Titans 1st base to block it. The pain started after he build first ship, after this it was much, much harder every turn.

So tell me, how Sap player should have to play to had a chance to win?

Cheers, Toss.
[Avatar]
DevilWarrior

[Avatar]
DevilWarrior

I loose the game against titans in same map,walkers does not create a mess for me but the ships are real problem I think so.Battery are useless in starting,use two ships and heli to kill opp units and create both ships on same side.

Tougher the goings, the tougher gets going.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

Heli have 5 range attack (4 move and 1 attacking next hex) - its good get few heli against ships
Also maruders are nice when fast moving can get them near walkers or attack ship at coast. They easly kills mechas.
Tank, engineer and battery are crucial and you must do everything to prevent losing them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31, 2012 10:55

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

If the issue is how to defeat Titan ships (Hydronauts), then you're just using the wrong units. Obviously land units like Marauders and Tanks won't work, but Sapiens are actually very strong against Hydronauts. Destroyers (the Sapien ships) are actually the best sea unit, they do much more damage than Hydronauts and they are fast enough to move inside a Hydronaut's range and pound it without taking damage. Helicopters also prove useful in killing Hydronauts because they can also duck inside the Titan ships' range and attack without taking damage, though they are very vulnerable to counterattack. The answer to your problem is to build a Destroyer to match each Hydronaut the Titan player plays and use your superior firepower to gun it down. You might have to build less Tanks, but Tanks are pretty useless on large maps anyways.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

How can we have a thread full of Sapien players without anyone knowing how awesome Destroyers are? I know that and I'm a noob Khralean player.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
Toss

[Avatar]
Toss

Probably no one mention about destroyers, because in UniW. the sea battles are made on the 2nd or even 3rd place. The only place I bought and used the destro is the Sap. tutorial. Probably because I'm an old-school Starcraft player and I'm not used to ships.
Secondly the destros are too expensive as for me - the walkers cost 750 and they have huge range, the destros cost 800 and they arnt useful enough to spend this amount of money.

The more games I've played against Titans - the more pain my ass gets. The early rushes arnt too good, because tit player are quite close his own bases and the reinforcements will crush our rush force. I know that UniW. is made al'a Starcraft. And Titans are something like Protoss from that, but in Starcraft every single toss' unit were like 2 and more supply and they couldnt mass the same like zerg and terrans. Here the tans can mass like everyone else and thats the problem.
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Destroyers are much better than you think. They have ridiculously high anti-aquatic attack (16), high attack against other units (10-12) and they have much higher defense than artillery units. Sea units are rather OP (thus expensive) because they have the power/range of artillery and the defense of tanks. For the price of two tanks you can get a really tough artillery unit that can decimate Hydronauts and can support your main troops against the enemy walkers.

The only effective way to counter sea units in the current game is to build your own sea units. Ground and air units usually don't stand a chance against the powerful attack, wide range and high defense. Luckily for you, Sapiens have the best anti-sea sea unit.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Obviously it depends by map, naval units are limited to water and Titans can win maps like Piriapolis by staying north and out of destroyer naval range if they want. Hydronauts hititing Destroyers from range 4 is the main danger; if Destroyers can close the distance they will definitely crush. As rwieczor84 says, helis can be very effective here, because they are useful on land and sea and cheaper than destroyers, and they can gang up and kill hydros (due to no range 1 counter-attack) pretty effectively. Some maps are unbalanced *against* Titans (Green Isle) because Sapiens can park a heli off the naval base and no hydro can be built without being hammered immediately, allowing destroyers to roam free.

Anyway, if Titans are frustrating you, switch to Khral for a bit so that you can beat up on Titans more easily.
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

One comment about the long range hits: Even if a Hydronaut does hit your destroyer at a range of 4, you can easily close the distance next turn and deal much heavier counter damage. Hydronauts have an anti-aquatic attack of 13 and Destroyers have a defense of 12, so Hydronauts don't do much damage to Destroyers at any range. Basically, a Hydronaut-Destroyer battle has a foregone conclusion: Sapiens win every single time. The sole exception is when Titans are able to gang up with several Hydronauts at once, in which case they can completely destroy a Destroyer. As long as you have as many Destroyers as they have Hydronauts, you win. Khrals actually have a tougher time killing Hydronauts because Leviathans are seriously underpowered compared to Destroyers.

[WWW]
cogger

cogger

I think the map is landbridge? For this one, i would not reccomend tanks or batteries. Tanks are not fast enough for offense, but will get pounded by hydros on offense. Batteries (think of hydros or destroyers that arent as strong, as fast, cant attack after moving, cant defend, and much less defense. Of course, they are just great on other maps. As sapiens, i suggest focusing mostly on destroyers. Second priority is helicopters to soften the hydros up for a good pounding from the destroyers. Last, keep a few marines and engineers back at your bases incase of teleport spam. If you keep pressure on your oppenent, he shouldnt get a walker out. If he does, it should be poorly protected. Sorry for the length of this post. Good luck!
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

On maps with water, when you go against Titans you must rush with boats and choppers. Especially with this map, batteries and tanks will just get slaughtered by boats. The key is to get your destroyers out and watch where the Titan builds. Destroyers have more movement and also 7 visibility, which is 1 more than what the Titan ship has. The key is to pressure and find the right moment to rush in.

A good Titan player will turtle, so you have to push him back as much as you can, and then build on the fringe, and then when you see that you have an advantage in force, hit with boats and choppers all rushing. The Titan ship has a weakness in range, so if you can hit a few times without being returned fire (adjacent space) you will have crippled the Titans properly. Choppers rushing in at that point can finish the job.

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

also, regarding that map, if you push the titan back far enough you can pressure with marines at his closest bases at the same time that you rush. This will cause him to waste his ship shots on your marines to save his bases, which will leave your destroyers un-attacked and ready to do what their namesake says. This takes time to learn and understand, but just do a few water maps and you will begin to see the strategy.

Also remember that when you see a Titan ship 7 tiles away, it can't see you yet. If it moves forward on its turn, it won't be able to attack you even though it will be in range unless another titan unit provides the line of sight.

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
Forum Index » Sapiens