[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New fun maps, balance suggestions for Fortresstest
Forum Index » User Generated Maps
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

I made two maps recently, I'd appreciate if you could try them out and give me advice on how to improve the balance of the second one.

The first is 2 player unrated spring and is called RegularName, it's intended to let you troll your friends. It puts all of player one's starting units on top of free bases and puts all of player two's staring units on a separate island where they are completely useless. As a bonus I wrote "umad bro?" in hexes onto the map. Feel free to "test" this map on your friends, though it's obviously intended for lulz rather than balance. As I state in the description it should not become rated, so even if you like it please downvote.

The second is still in testing phase and goes by the name Fortresstest followed by the iteration number (3 as of posting). It's 2 player unrated winter and is intended to be a fairly balanced map. I set it up based on the premise that there should be a sea battle followed by the winner of the sea battle invading the "fortress" of the other player. Each player has a main cluster of 7 bases surrounded by mountain with swamp entrances. Around this is a 4 unit band of land to make sure sea units can't fire on the fortress. Between the two landmasses is a bridge of unowned harbors, and at each end of the bridge there are 2 outlying bases owned by the player who owns that landmass. Behind these bases is a killzone made from two layers of swamp surrounded by a layer of desert and a layer of forest, this is intended to make it more difficult to swarm the fortress by land, just to shake things up a bit. On the opposite side of each landmass from the bridge are 5 ports owned by the player who owns that fort, and in the most recent version I added some forest between the ports and the fortress to provide help with rear infantry attacks.

The problems I want to address are the following:
1: Imbalances in the starting and sea battle (I realize sea combat in Uniwar is usually imbalanced, so I'll just try my best)
2: Inability of attacking player to take the fort (stalemate)
3: Taking the fort is too easy (defending it is too hard)

If you run into or foresee any of these problems with any race combo or have insight into how to reduce them, post on this thread. I'm also taking input as to the final name of Fortresstest because I'm pretty sure "Fortress" is taken and I don't want to leave "test" in the name forever. I appreciate your suggestions!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10, 2012 13:56

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

invite me for some playtesting

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

That's some scary fast response time, and sure.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

The idiotic bots deal with Fortresstest by spamming infantry right from the getgo, there must be something about having free harbors available that makes them want to march in their troops and capture them. Unfortunately, it doesn't make for good play testing if the bots insist on building only infantry and marching them straight across the killzone, because it's way to easy to just kill them all with ships. Perhaps the devs could revisit the AI sometime and make it legitimately smart rather than giving it extra credits in hard matches.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

The newest version, Fortresstest4, has 3 major changes. First, per StarryBlink's suggestion (in game) I changed some of the starting bases to be uncaptured with units on top. Next per simsverd's suggestion in our playtest I added some ports to the sides of the landmasses to allow ships to get to the middle faster. Finally I opened up the terrain a bit to allow ground units (particularly heavy) to move around more easily.

[WWW]
Forum Index » User Generated Maps