[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
The censor
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Lol, out of everyone I didn't think I would see briceK wanting to talk about the game ONLY. I just don't understand these people, it's not like chat about uniwar specifically was ever banned or looked down upon. Just don't expect EVERYONE to talk about it, because then it's forcing the topic. And quite frankly, if you go on battle.net they don't talk solely about starcraft/warcraft.
Be boring if you want, I'm going to go ahead and not be.

JC: How would I know? I left uniwar until the censor is fixed, it's not my fucking problem now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14, 2013 09:39

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

First. Censoring is a complete wrong term here. Censor is about oppressing og denying ideas and meanings... and that is something else than what this is about.
The spam filter is about making the main chat of the game a place where most players would enjoy their stay, and while some users find the idea of a spam filter offensive, i am sure many other think it is a good change.

A relevant comparison from the real world could be people being allowed to smoke in a public place or not (for example a restaurant).

Personally i think its good to block some of the most offensive words, but many of the currently blocked words should be ok - for example : butt, crap, damn, balls, poop to mention some.

I also think there should be 1 or 2 human moderators of the chat - and that might also happen soon.

I will discuss these issues with Xavi.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
sniggih

[Avatar]
sniggih

Someone said yesterday in chat: "build a fence and all the children will climb it"
True statement!

I'll be the first one to admitt that all our behavior yesterday was uncalled for and childish, we were pretty much all swearing just because we were told we could not... i even chose to make an alternate account after i was mistakenly banned just to encourage the obnoxious behavior.

I apologize to whoevers buttons i pushed but my messege is still the same... YOU WILL NOT STOP PEOPLE FROM SWEARING IN YOUR CHATS. Plain and simple.

Those who want to say fuck, will say Fack.
Those who want to say bitch, will say b!tch.
Your sensors are merely going to encourage more creative ways of swearing because some people just see it as neseccary... Welcome to the world wide web of 2013

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Sims, if you managed to get that, censor being used only for harshest of words, then I might come back.
Right now it's 100% unaceptable that we have words like jew and homo censored. I MEAN WHAT THE HELL!? Homo is "same" for latin, and jew is a freaking RELIGION!

So yes, how it is right now I would call it censor. Mostly because it's blocking off words that should not be blocked and makes passing a message much harder than it should be.

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
Brice K

[Avatar]
Brice K

I did not say only the game should be discussed, I just said that that is why the chat is there. I said it is fine if it goes to different topics. My point was that it is not the place to come to blow off steam. There are chat rooms more appropriate for that purpose if you blow off stream by cussing in online chat rooms.
metadeity

metadeity

Brice K wrote: I did not say only the game should be discussed, I just said that that is why the chat is there. I said it is fine if it goes to different topics. My point was that it is not the place to come to blow off steam. There are chat rooms more appropriate for that purpose if you blow off stream by cussing in online chat rooms.
such as chat roulette

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14, 2013 19:00

[Avatar]
Josh6

[Avatar]
Josh6

Sniggih was correct when he stated that people will still cuss, regardless of any bans. Since the censor was implicated, I have seen no decrease in cursing. In fact, people now go out of their way to curse, and of course, more attention is drawn to it. I don't cuss, and I don't necessarily like that many others do it. But, that being said, this censor is certainly NOT a good way to go about "fixing" this. Although a human moderator may be a better solution, I still don't believe that it will solve that much more problems.

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood
[Avatar]
sniggih

[Avatar]
sniggih

The following words are blocked:
Balls
Screw
Cook
Suck
Woops
Se x
Nancy
Spunk
Gonads
Boobs

May we have these words back please?

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jan 17, 2013 22:26

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

You forgot those in there:
jew
homo

I honestly don't know why those are censored, homo is "same" in latin and being a jew isn't forbidden afaik.

PS: I sure hope that's a hero marine you've got there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18, 2013 11:17

Wandering...
J.C.

J.C.

Nice to see you Nicko

i think that jew is not a bad word, but many games i saw considers it a cuss word, since it can be easily misinterpreted to be offensive and racist. I don't mind at this word, it is not very used and you know. I agree with sniggih though, the words he posted should not be forbidden.

Test my maps:
1-on-1
ColdestPlace - Tiny Desert - SkyAndSand

3-on-3
DeadFlower
David

4-on-4
BasesGaloreXL6
BasesGaloreXL7
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Only idiots consider and use it as an offensive word. It should not be banned.

Wandering...
J.C.

J.C.

Politeness lost...

I didn't say it should, I agree it should not.

Test my maps:
1-on-1
ColdestPlace - Tiny Desert - SkyAndSand

3-on-3
DeadFlower
David

4-on-4
BasesGaloreXL6
BasesGaloreXL7
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Oh then I misinterpreted what you said, apologies.

And yes I'm very aware people see it as offensive for whatever reason, but as I pointed out these people are idiots

Wandering...
Chas

Chas

The censor has ruined chat. I agree that some words should be ban but only the extreme cuss words. Many people have left chat after the censor was installed.
Chas

Chas

Don't get me wrong I'm personally glad that the little kids are gone from chat because they were ruining it but come on some the words they ban are stupid you can't even say suck without getting ban. I think it was good it theory but it just can't work. Many poeple just joke around and cuss a little nothing too seriously they don't insult by cussing only the little kids do. It a shame they have ruined it.Not many kids play this game, anyways most of the population of this game is 13 and above.
Forum Index » General Discussion