[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Changes are coming to uniwar...
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
frenchie

[Avatar]
frenchie

Have you ever considered adding ZOC (zone of control) and supply lines to the rules. I suggest an interesting concept as follows:-
If a unit cannot trace a supply line free of enemy ZOC it cannot heal damage until it is back in supply.
Now a unit can remain in supply if it has a friendly unit adjacent that negates enemy ZOC. But as soon as a unit is isolated (no friendlies adjacent) and is flanked either side by enemy ZOC it becomes out of supply and can no longer receive replacements until it regains its supply line. A supply line is a route across land of any distance clear of enemy ZOC back to a friendly base. Supply lines across sea could be possible but would need to have at least one naval unit on the map.
This makes great tactics. These rules used to be used in Avalon Hill hexagonal war games.
What do the makers think?
I would be interested to know.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

frenchie wrote: Have you ever considered adding ZOC (zone of control) and supply lines to the rules. I suggest an interesting concept as follows:-
If a unit cannot trace a supply line free of enemy ZOC it cannot heal damage until it is back in supply.
Now a unit can remain in supply if it has a friendly unit adjacent that negates enemy ZOC. But as soon as a unit is isolated (no friendlies adjacent) and is flanked either side by enemy ZOC it becomes out of supply and can no longer receive replacements until it regains its supply line. A supply line is a route across land of any distance clear of enemy ZOC back to a friendly base. Supply lines across sea could be possible but would need to have at least one naval unit on the map.
This makes great tactics. These rules used to be used in Avalon Hill hexagonal war games.
What do the makers think?
I would be interested to know.

I dont know what the devs might think.. but i am sure this would be a major rewrite and force new version on all users (meaning you cant log on before you have updated - because you cant have different clients with different game mechanics)

I would still say its an interesting idea, but i would like this and other feature requests be made in the proper forum. I want this post to stay focused on the changes that are coming with the free uniwar version - i hope you understand

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

if one of your troops is behind ZOC of opponent unit it will by shortly killed in next round
this idea is not worth of changing all mechanics.

I am also glad that proladder will be changed!
[Avatar]
andrei82b

[Avatar]
andrei82b

one thing that should be changed in the game is the way "Credits spent:" and "Bases captured:" are displayed. Nobody cares how much much money you spent since you made your account or how a big conquerer you were and, as pro as it may be, why make things so hard, as writing down this info at the beginning of the game about all players and then make the substractions in the game as it moves on.

This information should be per game. So everyone starts with 0. Like this we won't have to substract 6845850 - 6845750 to find out someone bought a mecha and neither 4592 - 4591 to know he captured a base somewhere on the map. A nice thing to add would be kill/killed ratio per player. This would add a lot of strategy to balancing the game with multiple players.

Also info about players should be available in the join game lobby.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13, 2013 05:33

[Avatar]
PurpleLlama

[Avatar]
PurpleLlama

simsverd wrote: The game will be free to download from google play and iOS appstore. The goal is to attract more new players and increase monetizing opportunities, while preserve current players investement in the paid version.
The free version will come in a few months. There will probably be some bugfixes and a version introducing OpenGL with improvements to graphichs and speed before the free version.
The free version will introduce a uniwar currency called unigold wich is to be bought with real money. Unigold will then be usable for “permanent purchases” and “consumable purchases”.
Examples on permanent purchases are: max ammount of games, reset turn, max ammount of replay games (future feature), more inbuildt maps for offline play
Examples on consumable purchases are: change flag, publish map, change username
A free game account will be limited to only 5 online games, but players that already have payed for the game will retain their current max games limit (20).

More info on the free version will come later

Other changes that are planned for the future: replay after game (already in testing), tournaments, pro-ladder.
Will we gwt the rest turns .d stuff? I think some we are the original umiwarriors we should get all the stuff the free game buyers can pay for
[Avatar]
PurpleLlama

[Avatar]
PurpleLlama

sorry swype butchered that. I meant that we will be able to have all tge things available us that the free version buyers can have. I think itd be good to give us that stuff.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

PurpleLlama wrote: sorry swype butchered that. I meant that we will be able to have all tge things available us that the free version buyers can have. I think itd be good to give us that stuff.

You are ofc not automatically entitled to features not orginally in the game you bought..
You will get the game you have today.. and the possibility to buy other features like higher max limit on games and replay after game

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

What do you mean by max replay feature? Why should my games history be limited? ;_;
They really should learn from successful free to play games, if they mess this up they'll lose a major part of their original player base I feel.

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
EvCatz

EvCatz

He just hinted at two specific options.

One: increase maximum amount of games you can play at once.

Two: be able to watch replays of the entire game when it finishes.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Yeah I realized those. I'm just trying to decide how I feel about the fact they'll limit the number of replays you can have.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18, 2013 04:52

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Development are slow atm. Xave told me that the free version firstly will be deployed without uniwar currency (unigold) and with little changes from current version.
It will probably be just free and pro account where the difference likely will be in number of online games and possibly other restrictions like only pro accounts to publish maps.

All players that have a legit version will get pro account

[Email]
Lava

Lava

Old thread but my input are:

RE: using unigold for map publishing.... Unreasonable to spend time creating something for the community and have to pay for the privilege of doing so. Instead, the opposite should occur, map authors should be given unigold. Not on publishing (reduces the random map generator publisher folks) but on how often the maps are played.

RE: unigold to buy additional maps for offline play. Allow players to buy any map for offline play.

RE: max amount of games. for each x unigold just add y game(s).

RE: unigold for reset/undo. Is this after the 'end' button or before (and of course, before anyone else moves)? If it's after then it's more useful because there's been a few times where, I didn't attack or I've moved on top a base and for whatever reason fat fingered the capture and didn't see it until after I ended the turn. I had it where I noticed it's before the end but then, at lease, when I can, I compensate with other units.

RE: unigold for surrendering with in x rounds without penalty. This is interesting as there are multiple possibilities here. Perhaps, the more rounds into the game the more unigold it costs. Limit of number of round pasts before it's not possible? After x number of rounds, the "winner" still gets some points while the surrendering person loses some to nothing? After m rounds, it becomes a 'bribe' (amount, x, is fixed based on points to change players) to the winner to be able to surrender without losing points; here the dev gets y unigold and the winners gets z unigold (where x=y+z).

I second the idea of getting unigold for various things (previously stated: playing random games, winning tournaments, etc.).

Perhaps, pay for smarter bots with unigold. 2 options, A big one time sum forever or small sum for each time. If you need more than 1 bot, you pay again.

one time cost for various things:
o To have the ability to enable/disable random in game.
o To have the ability to enable/disable fog in game.
o To have the ability to enable/disable chat before start of game
o Buying an avatar instead of current units. You can buy multiple.
o Accessing (online) user published maps; and different than buying maps for offline.
o Replay previous turn at any time.
o remove targeted ads?

Closing thought on free version'... is not to have one (maybe reduce price and add unigold). Talk with development communities ecosystems and see if the 'free but nickle + dime' system works.

-d

dang limit

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 31, 2013 20:55

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Lava wrote: Old thread but my input are:

RE: using unigold for map publishing.... Unreasonable to spend time creating something for the community and have to pay for the privilege of doing so. Instead, the opposite should occur, map authors should be given unigold. Not on publishing (reduces the random map generator publisher folks) but on how often the maps are played.

Thank you for your great input. Some comments (have to split it up since post will be to long):

Unigold for map-publish : i agree with you that it should be free. At least it should be possible to deploy expirinbg test maps (1 day?) wich also would solve some of the worst problems of the thousands of poorly designed and never played maps. About getting unigold for someone to play your maps: idea is good, but i see a possible exploit.. might work so that each player only count once

[Email]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Lava wrote:
RE: unigold for reset/undo. Is this after the 'end' button or before (and of course, before anyone else moves)? If it's after then it's more useful because there's been a few times where, I didn't attack or I've moved on top a base and for whatever reason fat fingered the capture and didn't see it until after I ended the turn. I had it where I noticed it's before the end but then, at lease, when I can, I compensate with other units.

RE: unigold for surrendering with in x rounds without penalty. This is interesting as there are multiple possibilities here. Perhaps, the more rounds into the game the more unigold it costs. Limit of number of round pasts before it's not possible? After x number of rounds, the "winner" still gets some points while the surrendering person loses some to nothing? After m rounds, it becomes a 'bribe' (amount, x, is fixed based on points to change players) to the winner to be able to surrender without losing points; here the dev gets y unigold and the winners gets z unigold (where x=y+z).

reset/undo: this is possible to do today by logging between accounts, deleting the game data or re-installing the game - before end turn and upload to the server. Most high level players know of and use this. This payed option will enable all to do this "hassle free". The devs cant remove current flaw on redo withoput a major rewrtite (upload each move), so why not make it more awailable and monetize it?

surrender: i like your idea on a differenciated cost

[Email]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Lava wrote:

Perhaps, pay for smarter bots with unigold. 2 options, A big one time sum forever or small sum for each time. If you need more than 1 bot, you pay again.

one time cost for various things:
o To have the ability to enable/disable random in game.
o To have the ability to enable/disable fog in game.
o Buying an avatar instead of current units. You can buy multiple.
o Replay previous turn at any time.

Smarter bots would be nice.. but its the same AI in the offline games as in the online. The idea is nice (have smarter bot in addition to current "stupid")

random: would you think it ok that one player have random enabled while the other not?
fog of war: disagree. This will break a principle that a player cant buy a victory.. this opens up pandoras box (like it is in most "free to play" games btw ... i still hope uniwar will not go that route)

replay turn anytime: i agree this would have been very nice. btw replay after game will come as a feature (i have tested an alpha version of that)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01, 2014 03:14

[Email]
Forum Index » General Discussion