[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
dan1 tourney 5
Forum Index » Tournaments
[Avatar]
frenchie

[Avatar]
frenchie

Ok Dan, have a result at last.
Frenchie (saps) bt flyinghigh (titans) 8 rounds.
Frenchie (titans) bt flyinghigh (saps) 8 rounds.
youownme

youownme

I knew that five round rule would cause problems. I say just throw it out. In my opinion it takes away from actually winning the game and makes things more complicated.

-_-
yngwie

yngwie

Yngwie (red titan) win jarek (blue khral) in 15 round
cytivrat

cytivrat

youownme wrote: I knew that five round rule would cause problems. I say just throw it out. In my opinion it takes away from actually winning the game and makes things more complicated.

It is not the rule which causes the problem - it is the problem in understanding this rule. it should be explained in clear way which removes any possibility for different understanding.

Have you ever played maps when opponent lost long-long ago, but you still have to make 10,15,20.. boring moves, just because he doesn't want to surrender? This rule removes this problem. Yes, it slightly changes your goal in some situations, but I think that in most situations it simply allows to remove boring part from game and have more fun on a tournament.
BloodyHarry

BloodyHarry

EvCatz wrote: I was under the impression that the rule was in effect for me the entire time; I don't see why I shouldn't have, and it's still difficult for me to comprehend how BloodyHarry thought it was not. My line of thinking was that as long as I did not let BloodyHarry recapture a base in the game I was winning, there was no possible way for him to win the series (my win would certainly come faster). This affected the way I played both games. Different winning requirements will always have an effect on someone's strategy. In my opinion, the fact that BloodyHarry also did not react to my attack at all (he built nothing round 1 and continued to capture his base anyways even though he had vision of my marine not capturing my own base) means he can't even claim the attack was unfair (he claimed it was fair only because the map was mirrored). If BloodyHarry was in my position, I have no doubt in my mind that he would be baffled by the same opinions that he is claiming right now. I'm trying my best to not come off as rude but I felt insulted. Dan was also correct in his assumption that I would win faster when disregarding the 5-turn rule. I won on move 12 and he won on move 14.

evcatz, i don't think that i gave you any reason to feel insulted. if so, i'm sorry. it wasn't my intention.

just to clarify: i never said or meant the map is unfair. in fact, i like the map. i played the matches factoring in the rules as i had understood them. frankly, i'm still quite surprised about the fact, that my interpretation of "enemy base" isn't shared by everyone.

but i definitely don't assume any malicious intent. i believe you if you claim, you played the match assuming your interpretation was the right one. however, i clearly refuse your assumption, that, if i'd have been in your position, i'd see things in your way. absolutely not! and the fact, that you would have won without the 5-turn-rule is correct, but doesn't matter at all, as the rule definitely exists for this tournament.

BloodyHarry

BloodyHarry

cytivrat wrote:
It is not the rule which causes the problem - it is the problem in understanding this rule. it should be explained in clear way which removes any possibility for different understanding.

exactly!

in my opinion the 5-turn-rule maybe useful, depending on the map. in the tournament's map i think the rule isn't necessary, as defence normally collapses rather fast after losing one base.
dan1

dan1

2 games remain in group e. jarek needs to beat me for yngwie to have a chance of survival.

jarek nearly had me last round i left a base a bit to loose but luckily managed to position well ready for his cap attempt. he has no lost units and position with the move though.

in group d it looks like games with supercc will decide the winner. johnalei will have to lose to give anyone else a chance. the rest of the groups are still to early but more updates are on sheet.

the tiebreaker does not break down as easy as i thought as 2 people can draw. any suggestions on a tiebreaker? the round rule is very inconclusive as most people surrneder when they are beat.
ggleb

ggleb

ggleb (red tit) wins frenchie ( blue kharl) in 10 rounds http://yadi.sk/d/xQxAS2QO4pTje
frenchie (red tit) wins ggleb( blue kharl) in 14 rounds http://yadi.sk/d/TzuvgdTq4pTqy
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

simsverd wins jb__ as blue titan vs red khral in round 17
jb__ wins simsverd as blue titan vs red khral in round 22

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Vogon Jeltz

Vogon Jeltz

Here is my proposition for tie breaker:

When there are 2 players with same number of points, direct match between them might be a good tie breaker.
when 3 players have same result, they could form a circle (any of them won with one of them) and this rule would be useless,
in that case maybe number of won single games (not mirrored) should decide.
in the end, if there is still a tie I would choose winner by random or ranking.

I wrote above without looking into a table, but it is a little uncomfortable to establish a rule when there already is a case to which it has to be applied... Maybe this time you should play additional mirrored game to break the tie.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 14, 2013 13:57

youownme

youownme

Youownme wins vs simsverd (blue tits vs red khral) round 14
Youownme wins vs simsverd (red khral vs blue tits) round 17
Youownme wins vs bongpanda (blue khral vs red sap) round 7
Youownme wins vs deliann (blue khral vs red sap) round 20

Panda and deliann other games are not finished but have extended past these ones. Poor panda didn't really understand the rules at first, but I think he understands now and for some reason deliann did not move some of his helis one turn, but I think I would have won a couple turns later anyway.

Jb games are still at large.

-_-
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

StarryBlink (Blue Sap) win Flyinghigh (Red Kharl) in round 5.

The mirror match still in intensive struggling.
jb__

jb__

Our first round is well underway. I have initial 3 remarks on the new system:

1) FAIRNESS - the current system is not fair.

Let me explain. Obviously the choice of the first race (starting race) determines the choices of the second race (reaction choice). Then the other game is a mirror.
The choice of a race is very important and depends on the map and our personal preferences/strengths.

I got 4 invites. and replied with 4 mirrors. Thus in 8 games I had 0 free choice of race and 4 secondary/reaction choices. The reaction choice is often forced or limited. The starting race is most often determining what game it is really.

Thus in all my 8 games I had 0 influence on the starting races. Potentially somebody else had selected the starting race in all his 8 games by sending 4 invites first. 0 to 8 - not the fairest setup.

Thus the rules should be amended by having everyone sending only 2 initial invites (if 5 players are involved in a round). This way the influence on races will be equal for all.

2) COMMITMENT - we have had one player leaving (surrendering all games after a few moves). That spoils the whole round for all and wastes the invested time.

Please do not commit to the tournament unless you can really make it.

3) 5 TURNS RULE - I personally think the the 5 turn base holding rule is harmful to the game and should be abandoned as it makes the game strategies poorer. And it is not like someone has written that it shortens the painful mopping up. If you have won in one game the since the games should proceed synchronously one turn latter you can abandon the other game if you are in a hurry - you have already won after all!
BloodyHarry

BloodyHarry

group a:

bloodyharry red titans wins vs. wolfcat blue sapiens rd 19
wolfcat red titans wins vs bloodyharry blue sapiens rd 21
youownme

youownme

jb__ wrote: Our first round is well underway. I have initial 3 remarks on the new system:

1) FAIRNESS - the current system is not fair.

Let me explain. Obviously the choice of the first race (starting race) determines the choices of the second race (reaction choice). Then the other game is a mirror.
The choice of a race is very important and depends on the map and our personal preferences/strengths.

I got 4 invites. and replied with 4 mirrors. Thus in 8 games I had 0 free choice of race and 4 secondary/reaction choices. The reaction choice is often forced or limited. The starting race is most often determining what game it is really.

Thus in all my 8 games I had 0 influence on the starting races. Potentially somebody else had selected the starting race in all his 8 games by sending 4 invites first. 0 to 8 - not the fairest setup.

Thus the rules should be amended by having everyone sending only 2 initial invites (if 5 players are involved in a round). This way the influence on races will be equal for all.

2) COMMITMENT - we have had one player leaving (surrendering all games after a few moves). That spoils the whole round for all and wastes the invested time.

Please do not commit to the tournament unless you can really make it.

3) 5 TURNS RULE - I personally think the the 5 turn base holding rule is harmful to the game and should be abandoned as it makes the game strategies poorer. And it is not like someone has written that it shortens the painful mopping up. If you have won in one game the since the games should proceed synchronously one turn latter you can abandon the other game if you are in a hurry - you have already won after all!

I agree with most of this. Although I had already won panda before he left.

I'm not sure if it is unfair either, just easier to display my strengths while exploiting anothers weaknesses. Shouldn't be a problem if you are well rounded with all of the races, but most people aren't.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16, 2013 07:01

-_-
Forum Index » Tournaments