[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
How about team tournaments?
Forum Index » Tournaments
[Avatar]
darf nader

[Avatar]
darf nader

I play with a group of solid and trustworthy players that I wish I could play in a tournament with.
chi-va-va

chi-va-va

We have a team ready to do battle with your team!)
hadaka

hadaka

I would enjoy team tournaments open to signups as a complete team. While also allowing single player signups that would get teamed with other single player signups. Though teams created based on individual player score for balance can be fun too.
[Avatar]
andrei82b

[Avatar]
andrei82b

I think team tournaments have not been organized cause people were afraid that one player could play on all accounts. But i do not see that as a problem. Whoever wants to work for the whole team alone, let them work. Heck, he doesn't even need his own accounts if his friends give him their password.

If you want such an event to take place, you have to organise it. It's not that hard:

First, you need a solid map for this. i recommend you talk with Talone about this, maybe he'll make a new one.

Second, you need a solid spreadsheet on Google docs, to include at least usernames and e-mails, that allows comments, as it will spare you a lot of work.

Third, set the rules. I would recommend players of above 1800 or more than 50 games played. Duration of stages: 2 weeks for 12h round games that are averagely ended in maximum 25 rounds. for this map needs to be playtested. Make a thread on forum about it. Normally people that playtest the map should not be allowed in tournament cause they have an advantage over the other competitors. So map makers/organizers/testers should not take place in tournament. Then, you ask yourself, why doesn't anyone do it? It's exactly this: players want to compete not to work so that others have fun. Now if that work was somehow backed by the devs, than we'd see more tournaments.

Fourth, after all details are set, contact simsverd or xavi so that players get an in-game announcement with the link to forum. In forum post the link to Gdocs and mention that players will have to athenticate to comment, as e-mails will confirm that it them that entered the data and none other can mess with game results. Anonymus comments are not considered. You can make a simpler game format: 2 unrated games, each player starts one, each player chooses all races. This way games can be mirrrored or not, or you can keep classic 2+2 mirror games.

From then on it should all run smooth, as you will only accept the comments as text cell and each player will complete his own team and the opposing team losing in case they do not, as it usually happens.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 26, 2014 07:18

cytivrat

cytivrat

First of all, there were at least two team tournaments, one organized on BaseGalore map by J.C. around 1 year ago http://www.uniwar.com/forum/posts/list/1653.page but it never finished. Another one is "Clear Prop" http://www.uniwar.com/forum/posts/list/1825.page which is still underway, hope it will be finished some day.

Real problem is that team tournaments are usually long. If you have 3 players in a team and 24-hours per move, then it can take up to 6 days to complete single round! And if it takes 20 rounds to win, then it results in up to 120 days per one game and if you have 3 or 4 rounds, then one tournament can take whole year. Yes, usually people make moves faster at the start of the tournament when they are excited about it, but there can be mirrored game which adds time too, also different situations could happen in real life of adult people, and there is really high probability that something happen in a game which depend on 6 or even 8 people, and this will either ruin game (because you will have to skip player) or will delay game for long-long time. That's why there not that many team tournaments or they are not finished. If you know how to solve this problem, then I would really like to hear this.
[Avatar]
andrei82b

[Avatar]
andrei82b

What you are adressing seems like real problems.

I don't know if they can be easily solved, but there are some things that can be done.

First of all, turns should be 12 hours.

Second, teams should consist of 2 players. For larger teams, as you said, there are too many variables.

In order for maps to be over in less than 30 rounds, maps should have a maximum area of 300 hexes (~17x17) and a turn base production/player between 300 and 400.

Surrendering mechanism should be modified in order to shorten games: winning party accepts or refuses the surrendering of the other party. They accept if they consider they can defeat the team in 5 or more rounds. They refuse if they consider they can end the game quicker. Losing team that surrendered and was accepted has a bonus of 5 turns. Turn number can be adjusted anywhere between 3 and 7, to keep this mechanism appropiate for the map and projection capabilities of players.

That said, if a game is to last on average, let's say, 20 rounds, by round 15 balance will tilt and one team could surrender. With 12 hours/turn and 4 players players there is one complete turn every 12 hours. That means 2 turns/day.

So a game should be over in about 10 days. That seems pretty decent.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

team tournaments are doable. i played in j.c's BG tourney (we made it to the final)

But it usually takes very long time to play out.. so it should only be done with very stable players...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
hadaka

hadaka

L

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26, 2014 10:37

anonym551653

anonym551653

2v2 will be awesome tournament.
Forum Index » Tournaments