[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Rank Reform
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

The post says "creating a ranked game with random opponent will mark a player as active" implying continuing to play a game is not enough. Hence my comment on 10 days being too short. But good to get that clarified.

One other comment: the last few times I've tried, the system says "There is no match available at this time." Naturally, it will be a pain if people lose points because the system can't find a match for them.
[Avatar]
Invul

[Avatar]
Invul

Just Do It AFAP!=)
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

The match making algorithm has some limitations. These will be fixed and a queue will also be implemented that will guarantee that you will ALWAYS have a worthy opponent.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

To answer the questions from rwieczor84
1) How much significant % of points?
It will depend on highly ranked you are. It will be a formula similar to RANK - (RANK-1600) * PERCENTAGE. The percentage could be about 5% for players ranked 2000 and could be as high as 20% for players ranked 3000 to 4000 which have been achieved by playing unfair custom games.
2) When I become active player (I have started random game) I am active as long as game is in progress or I should start next one in 10 days to stay active?
Only the creation of a game marks you as active. You have to create a new game EVERY 10 days.

The duration and the percentage are subject to change.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

In response to Waxoid, thank you for your great feedback.

* "About frustrating lottery", we plan to have better match making that will prevent that lottery aspect. You should always be matched with an opponent within 200 points.
* Ideal system based on race combo to award points or to rank maps: We have thought about it and we might implement something similar to that in the future.
* In tourneys the 'match' is defined by who wins in fewer rounds: Sims and I are discussing how to automate the discovery of the winner. I will post the algorithm soon. We want to use something better than simply the rounds like bases captured then unit killed/alive ratio, ...

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

In response to dougman4:

You made a lot of good points with the comparison to the chess game. We actually plan to have several ladders (RANKED SOLO, DUO, ...). We want to clear the current from the cheaters. That is one of our main goal.

* "Losing to a much lower ranked opponent and even winning the mirror game would net a substantial loss in points." I think that you are right. We did not consider that problem enough considering that the new match making system. I think that you might be right and that we might need to award the points based on the result of the 2 games.

* As long as custom games can be ranked, people will find flaws to exploit the system. That's why we want to remove them, unfortunately.

* "ranked maps ...BORING..." We will change the mechanism to make a map ranked. In future, the player votes will affect the map ranking based on their own ranking. A player ranked 2500 will have 10X or 20X the voting power than a player ranked 1500. This will allow highly ranked players to drive more the selection of maps.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
ttdanimal

ttdanimal

Appreciate the efforts to continue improving and evolving the game.

I do like a lot of dougman's points as well.

So I'm reading this correctly that there will be no more ranked team play? Effective team play is a skill in and of itself. One that must be honed and should be rewarded. And for many it's more fun. I'd really like to see a way to let those games continue. Maybe that's what you are getting with the "several ladders"?

[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

ttdanimal wrote: Appreciate the efforts to continue improving and evolving the game.
I do like a lot of dougman's points as well.
So I'm reading this correctly that there will be no more ranked team play? Effective team play is a skill in and of itself. One that must be honed and should be rewarded. And for many it's more fun. I'd really like to see a way to let those games continue. Maybe that's what you are getting with the "several ladders"?

It will not be possible to create anymore CUSTOM TEAM games that are RANKED.
We plan to introduce the creation of durable DUO TEAMS (and maybe more). Anyone will be able to create multiple teams and invite player to his team. The duo teams will be ranked in a separate ladder called "RANKED DUO".
This will come AFTER the Rank Reform, and other features. This is planned for later this year.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
yngwie

yngwie

great news! looking forward to innovations!
Killem all

Killem all

Very good changes! What about actual raiting list ? Will it be reseted or new system will be apply to curent state of raiting?
anonym551653

anonym551653

I really don't like the mirrored match(because of the race swap, what if someone doesn't like titans). The unranked custom games sucks really really bad, other things I am fine for the most part, but one or two bots in a 6 or 8 player match isn't that bad.
sdrawde

sdrawde

I like it ! It might not suit me, as I take lots of uniwar breaks, when work is busy or I am focussing on something else but it will just represent a challenge to get the rating back. Given 14 days is a common holiday period, maybe you could extend slightly from 10 to 15 days.

Xavi, you mentioned different ratings lists, you could include one for active players and an archive of all time high rankings. I mean this kind of thing which Fide do for chess http://ratings.fide.com/toplist.phtml. Gary Kasparov still appears just not on the active players list.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Great news!

I like the changes very much

Some comments:
- Why not just use 2 active random rated instead of manually starting games each 10 days.. Or did you mean to give a message to the player each 10 day? Seems easier to just see active and/or qued games..
- i also support that there should be an incentive for teamplay.. High level teamplay is perhaps the best part of the game imo. hope that a concept for teamladder can be made soon - not only "duo", but all kinds of teamplay

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
v2kam

v2kam

Very good!
[Avatar]
andrei82b

[Avatar]
andrei82b

The proposed changes will turn players from fighting one another (and taking advantage of design bugs) into fighting together against the system in order to keep the rating, if they deem it important.

So it will swap one problem with another.

From my point of view, the best way to proceed is to assess where are major areas where the system fails and treat those, maybe turning some issues on their head . This is how i would do it:

- problem: rated 3 and 10 minute games make unjust points by kicking in first round
1. allow players to reject invitations
2. once a game is full, start it - that would turn the issue on its head as the second player would wait for the creator to become offline and then kick him, thus none that creates these games would leave them after signing out
thus in a short while you'll have 3'/10' games only with players that are committed to playing these kind of games

- treat similar problems, must be 2 or 3 more

- introduce mirror random games

- introduce a time factor for all players - the points lost by all players should equal the points brought into the system by new players. that solves one of the biggest problems of ELO rating system: inflation. i would propose something around between 0.05 to 0.15% points/day. that would mean if you have a score of 2000 you lose around 1-3 points/day. that treats the problem of inactive players without being discriminative.

- final step: floor scores over say 2400. the rating should be similar to chess, and there you have: 1200 - 1999 novices and class D to A, 2000 - 2200 candidate masters, 2200 - 2400 national masters, 2400 - 2600 grandmasters, 2600+ world championship contenders (highest rating right now is 2877 by world champion Carsen)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26, 2014 07:22

Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates