[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Rank Reform - Part 2 & 3
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates
How should CUSTOM games evolve?
Only RANDOM games can be RANKED, no more custom ranked games. 63% [ 52 ]
A separate ladder for CUSTOM ranked games must be created 37% [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 83
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

Here are the proposed changes for the 2nd part of the Rank Reform:
A) FRESH LADDER: We want to ensure that inactive players do not stay forever at the top of the ladder. Players who are not available for at least 1 random games in their profile will not be listed in the Ladder. This will apply for each Solo or Team profile.
B) BETTER MATCH MAKING: A new Match Making system that is based on a queue. It will do a better job at matching you with opponents of your skill. As an option, you can select your race and it will be respected.
C) The ELO formula will be modified and restored to it's original form reducing the maximum amount of points loss or won. The K factor will be switched from 42 to 32. We are also considering changing the K based on the highest ranked player in the game so that playing against a much lower ranked opponent will not be so detrimental as it today. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
D) NEW TEAM LADDERS: Ranked Duo, Trio & Quattro are coming soon. These ladders will allow teams of 2, 3 and 4 players to compete together.

3rd Part:
A) CUSTOM GAMES: 2 options A1 vs A2.
A1) NO MORE CUSTOM RANKED games EXCEPT if you select the MAP as RANDOM and the selected opponent is NOT a bot and is a reciprocal friend.
A2) CUSTOM LADDER: Instead of imposing restrictions on which custom games can be rated or not, we would create separate CUSTOM vs RANDOM ladders.
B) TOP LADDER RESET: Highly controversial but highly necessary due to some past abuse. We would like to reset all players with a score higher than 2400 to 2400.
C) RANDOM GAMES: Option to have a mirrored game. That option automatically creates a 2nd game against the same opponent where races and positions are swapped. We are considering making it automatic for players above 2400.

We take praise in listening to players opinions. Please let us know what you want and don't want.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21, 2015 01:06

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
plingis

[Avatar]
plingis

That'S Perfect! Thank Xavi!))

uniwar.ucoz.com
[WWW]
capncristo

capncristo

No custom ladder = no ranked team games = uniwar become a much worse game.

Ranked Team Games are a must.
EVR1022

EVR1022

Really looking forward to the mirror option on random games.

I like all these changes, but I do have one concern that isn't addressed here: Many maps in the random game pool are unbalanced. Having a mirror game keeps this from affecting rating, but it really isn't much fun to play a bad map. I think if maps fall below a certain threshold (<65% positive ratings perhaps?) it should be removed from the random game pool.
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

@EVR1022: This is a recurring concern. We will think about it to fix it. A better solution will come for sure. FYI, The current values are
25 = Min feedback required to enable the map to rated games
70% = Percentage of positive feedback required to enable the map to rated games, if it goes below that level, it is automatically deactivated.
30% = Maps with a percentage of positive feedback lower than this are automatically deactivated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21, 2015 02:25

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
Lord Fool

Lord Fool

I think we need the two ladders. Players who are more score purists will likely prefer the random ladder, but I suspect that a lot of players are having fun with the current ladder. I know that ai am such a player. I like being able to pick a map and race and have it count. Often I am too busy to play a really big map; some random assignments could be problematic for me.

In summary, give the people what they want! My guess is that there will be enough players in both camps to keep both ladders lively.

--Tiberius Fool
[Avatar]
Red Five

[Avatar]
Red Five

Hi there, I have a couple of suggestions not entirely related to this thread, but here goes:

Clans/Teams: I think instead of ranked duos, there should be ranked teams. You can have X number of people per team. Your team can be subject to random battles, enter tourneys, and your team can challenge other teams in 2x2 4x4 etc. Each team activity would affect the team rank.

Skipping as a stat: I think two stats should be added to the player profile, # of skips performed and # of times skipped.
curmudgeon

curmudgeon

Xavi, I appreciate that you care about the game and want to improve it, so I thank you for that. I do though, see some flawed logic behind the reasons for the changes. I think the logic is based on improper assumptions:

Assumption 1: high ranking players who stop playing ranked matches cannot be overcome on the ladder.

My answer to this is that if the ladder were functional, any stagnent play should easily be overcome by good players with even a slow but steady increase in points. The fact that good players get stuck at 2100-2200's is a symptom of race bias overcoming all skill at >2100 points.

Assumption 2: players above 2400 had to have abused the system.

Answer: other than a couple of outliers which I agree are quite dubious, this is just scapegoating the high ranking players. The reason why a new generation of >2400 players have some risen up is because once again random games are completely controlled by race bias.

Assumption 3: mirror matches solve race bias.

Answer: I don't know how this idea even got started. Mirror matches will be the most inhibitive obstibical to moving up in the rank yet seen in Uniwar. All matches will end with 1 win an 1 loss for the players. The lower ranked player will get a net gain in points. The higher will be brought down even though they tied in the win/loss. This format will not expand the bellcurve, but shrink it to the point and almost every player will have the same number of points probably averaging 2000 with a SDev. of about 25.

Ultimatelty, Random games are quite aggravating. Especially if you get a bad map. People have asked for this many times, and I believe it is the simplest solution so I will ask again.

Please give us the ability to choose map and opponent and then uniwar randomizes the races.

Sincerely,
Grumpy Curmudgeon

Ps if you plan on taking points away from >2400. How will you stop them from just giving them away before that time and/or giving them to their other accounts?
kage

kage

jagerfodder

jagerfodder

Hey, the most important feature for me would be the option to remove the chat window (i.e when creating a custom game we can switch off chat for all players). Too often players are using the chat window to create early alliances in none team games. Ultimately it means the best player ends up going out first,
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

I think the proposed changes will be good for the game!

Personally i can live with all suggestions here, but i would prefer:
- only rated play 1:1 in random, and mirror random from 2400 and up
- team ladder (2,3,4) without random requrement
I dont need a 1:1 custom rated ladder since it would add little that random ladder and team-ladders dont provide..

curmudgeon wrote:
Answer: I don't know how this idea even got started. Mirror matches will be the most inhibitive obstibical to moving up in the rank yet seen in Uniwar. All matches will end with 1 win an 1 loss for the players. The lower ranked player will get a net gain in points. The higher will be brought down even though they tied in the win/loss. This format will not expand the bellcurve, but shrink it to the point and almost every player will have the same number of points probably averaging 2000 with a SDev. of about 25.

You have it all wrong.. result of a mirror match result in 1 winner of points, automatically decided on fewest rounds in winning games and if equa by kill/loss total.

curmudgeon wrote:
Ps if you plan on taking points away from >2400. How will you stop them from just giving them away before that time and/or giving them to their other accounts?

That can happen ... in very rare cases.. I believe it to be a teoretical possibility than something that will happen on a large scale.. And if you read the whole proposal, Xavi suggested that you will have to play at least 1 game random to stay listed in the ladder.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

I think there should be two separate ladders. For me i would be very happy to play for Random Ladder, but there are a lot of players who like to play for points on good/fun maps, with their friends. Many people will quit from playing.

Team ladder are also good idea but how it would work? We will get points for each player separately, or we would must create teams in uniwar and always play in such team?
Zxander2

Zxander2

I like the rank reform for random games but I miss the FFA games. I am a huge fan of FFA games with all the diplomatic and game skills needed there. Only playing FFA unranked makes the games less meaningfull and less fun. Will there be a rank system for FFA?
[Avatar]
makman

[Avatar]
makman

What exactly is a reciprocal friend? .. and maybe the sentence should be. OR is a reciprocal friend?
I do not feel the need for forced/automatic mirror games, but both players should be able to get it upon request.
[Avatar]
su47

[Avatar]
su47

Hello!Good news
Ffa is unbalanced type of game and big hole for cheating.
Im agreed,we need one ladder with random games.And dont give score for custom game.
May be special ladder for team (not ffa) games.
And...Will be reset all score for players upper 2300-2400?Im thinking,this is good idea,it is very fun )
Thank you!
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates