[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Underling Spam
Forum Index » Khraleans
trogdor

trogdor

So I've read people complaining in the titan section about spamming underlings. What's the best way to execute this strategy? Just all underlings? Or throw a couple surface units in the mix? Never really tried it, but I'm interested in giving it a shot.
rebelxt

rebelxt

You create as many underlings as possible and focus on taking out heavy and healer units.

3 buried underlings kill one plasma tank, and since tank is 200 credits more expensive than 3 underlings, so it's always a good exchange. If plasma tank is on bad terrain (forest), it only takes two underlings to take out a tank.

Try to maximize gang up bonus and terrain bonuses when resurfacing and attacking.

When opponent is using meat shields to protect their heavy/support units, you need to set up a chain attack, i.e. you often have to kill 3 mechas in one turn to be able to trigger underlings next to assimilators.

You will still need a few heavy/support units to build defense - just keep it as light as possible and crank out as many underlings as possible.

Of course this strategy is useless against sapiens who spam copters.
trogdor

trogdor

Thanks! Favorite maps for this strategy?
Anonymous

Anonymous
Yeah underling spam is best vs titans. Just have pinzers covering your bases in case of a mecha rush.

Something to think about is also don't be afraid to lose some underlings. I used to be afraid to attack when assimilators were around until I realized you're often still ahead of the game if you take down an expensive unit even if they capture a few. They generally won't get enough to really cause you much harm.

Also keep them moving. A smart player will pay attention to the banner that says a buried unit is nearby. If you keep shifting they'll think you have more than you do and won't know where they are.

Sapiens have too few ground units and the ones they do have are too mobile for this strategy. (Marauders for example, you can't predict where they're gonna be). It is good to send out some underlings to take down engineers and batteries though. Taking out their engineers can really shift the balance in an aerial fight.

As for maps.. It works on all maps really just in different ways. Sometimes it works best to have a bunch waiting to back up a swarmer attack. If you see that they're building armies of mechas though don't expect it to work
trogdor

trogdor

Yeah, I've noticed too that when playing Khralean v. Khraleans I keep getting spammed with swarmers. What's the best counter for this, besides building up my own army of swarmers (which I can't seem to get right anyways)?
lorfje

lorfje

Garuda's are pretty good against air units I think, and not much more expensive than Swarmers. And if you have enough protection for it, a Wyrm will also take a hevy toll on swarmers (at distance 3, that is).

Swarmers are predominantly anti-infantry units. Especially Underling are vulnerable to them.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Building garudas is exactly what someone who spams swarmers (usually me) wants you to do. Garudas die quick to swarmers as they take a lot of damage and can't counterattack against the swarmers range. Wyrms are damaging but they go down quick too (remember after one hit from a swarmer the wyrm's attack is greatly nullified, and a weakened wyrm is almost as useless as a dead one)

From what I've seen so far the player who builds nothing but swarmers will always win against the one who doesn't. If you both build nothing but, then the one who has a better sense of which enemy unit to attack will end up winning. For example do you weaken the fresh one or do you take out the weakest one for good? That's something you have to learn for yourself.

There really is no trick other than to build swarmers yourself first if fighting another khralean and then adjusting your tactics from there. That's probably a balance thing that needs to be considered in a future update.
Anonymous

Anonymous
I should also add that if someone spams swarmers then they have absolutely zero concern of underlings and pinzers, as they can't attack aerial units. Swarmers are really the absolute best tools in a k vs k battle. (Garudas are for the sapiens, pinzers, wyrms and underlings for the titans)
Anonymous

Anonymous
For khraleans vs Khraleans, the only working strategy really is to spam swarmers. As for deciding what to attack, that takes sense. In my games, i tend to only attack if i know i can destroy the unit. Whenever i have a low-health swarmer, i retreat it and let it heal until it can come back to figght. If i make sure i finish off whatever im hitting, i dont have to worry about that and have the unit count advantage later on.
[Avatar]
aLoN

[Avatar]
aLoN

Anonymous wrote: Yeah underling spam is best vs titans. Just have pinzers covering your bases in case of a mecha rush.

Something to think about is also don't be afraid to lose some underlings. I used to be afraid to attack when assimilators were around until I realized you're often still ahead of the game if you take down an expensive unit even if they capture a few. They generally won't get enough to really cause you much harm.

Also keep them moving. A smart player will pay attention to the banner that says a buried unit is nearby. If you keep shifting they'll think you have more than you do and won't know where they are.

Sapiens have too few ground units and the ones they do have are too mobile for this strategy. (Marauders for example, you can't predict where they're gonna be). It is good to send out some underlings to take down engineers and batteries though. Taking out their engineers can really shift the balance in an aerial fight.

As for maps.. It works on all maps really just in different ways. Sometimes it works best to have a bunch waiting to back up a swarmer attack. If you see that they're building armies of mechas though don't expect it to work

you don't really realize how good it is for titans to assimilate an underling.
if you did so, and manage to get him underground before he got killed, it will help you a lot against the khrals underlings by blocking and most important showing you exacly where are those underlings under your walker and plasmas.

i'm allways looking for those underlings to capture and after i got some, it's an easy road for the win.
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

One of my favorite ways to use buried underlings is in maps where the credits/base is less than 100. In the map Starvation, for example. What I will do is put an underling next to each of their ten or so bases behind the front lines and unearth them all at once. Chances are the enemy doesn't have enough money to make an infantry unit is EVERY base and loses some to you. While they try to fight the "uprising" (pun intended) and put money towards recovering their lost bases, you can quickly take advantage of their units on the front lines and tip the scale in your favor.

To calculate whether they have enough money to cover all their bases:

1) See how much money that have lost already (Actually, you can compare your losses to theirs, this is a good way of determining efficiency and almost always who will win)

2) See how many turns have gone by and (roughly) how many bases they had on all those turns

3) See the credits/base

4) Multiply credits/base by base (which, if you multiply by the denominator, is of course, how many credits/turn they get ) Then multiply this by turns (rounds) gone by.

Pretty simple. From there you can deduct how much they have lost and how much they have on the field now (of what you can see plus ten percent is usually a good formula unless you can see everything; calculating what they have on the field may take a minute) and you have a rough estimate of how much money they have at that turn. It will probably not be exact unless you take notes the whole game through, so just add a couple hundred to give yourself a safe buffer.

The most dangerous enemy is the one nobody fears
Britannia

Britannia

Coming from a Khrals player, the underground spam truly isn't that great, against any race, if they know how to play it. If I'm Khrals, I just wall them off with my own undergrounds and wait for them to surface. The off-chance I'm playing as titans, i just build tons of basic mecha and plop them down, literally in huge blankets around my base and base area and area surrounding the base area. Throw an assimilator in there and you're good. On the off-off-off-off-off-off-chance I'm saps (I really hate them =D) I do the same thing, plop marines down in wide blankets and stick something in front of them so they can't send the infector in.
arknw229

arknw229

how does sending a whole lot of underlings(burrowed) directly to the enemy base worK? does it work? and what maps is it best on? any tips?
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

I hate Swarmer spam. Makes the game lame. But anonymous is correct that it works. I thought Garuda with 9 aerial would be an answer and they aren't in general (vs. swarms, individually they're still great. # of bases and credits/base therefore impacts this a lot as well... small credits/turn can still mean Garuda are stronger.)

Khral vs. Khral seems most awful of all the largely ugly Khral/Sap matchups. IMO matchups involving Titans are more likely to be interesting strategically vs. just tactically complex, including being more likely to reward good use of many different unit types, whichever side you play.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Garuda loses to several swarmers, because you'll always have more swarmers. And the most important is that, everytime you attack a swarmer with a garuda he will counter attack while the garuda won't (range ftw)

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Forum Index » Khraleans