[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Tournament extensions
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Red Five wrote:7. Change tiebreaker rule : add highest number of captured bases total as the first decider (1. captured bases total, 2. least rds in won games, 3. kill/loss, 4 random).

I like this idea, but I think the hierarchy should be changed.

My biggest beef with toruneys is that there's incentive to take as few rounds as possible in round robin rounds (and thus, reeeeallly long turns). I think the tie-breaker order should be:

1. Units Killed (value)
2. captured bases total
3. least rounds in won games
4. random

My reasoning behind having kills first is that it provides incentive to get as many moves in as possible. With rounds essentially a non-factor, it wouldn't make sense to drag out a turn.

Also, regarding the captured bases total, does recapturing a base count? I only ask because I'm wondering if there'd be a way to exploit this tie-breaker by farming the base capture number. (This is just a thought from left-field, not sure how it'd play out, just seems exploitable).

Disagree. Kill/loss will not be a better first meassurement. Think about a round robin where one matchup leads to long buildup and much unit value on the board... the kill/loss from that match will make the other kill/loss from other matchups to matter little, even though there might be better play with faster wins in other games.

Captured bases will increase in the way you describe.. but i dont see how its exploitable...?

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
ttdanimal

ttdanimal

simsverd wrote:

i agree that there should be given enough time so all players can play a turn. Usually i give at least 3 days.

We will probably increase the time for team tourneys from the start

Sims - I'm sorry but I just don't get the reluctance to make anything definitive and clear in the rules. You keep using phrases like "Usually I give".

Usually is not always. And it's about 'you' (a participant in the tourney). My last tourney was anything like what you're saying. Extended in the final hours. Multiple times. Ended early.

Rule: Extensions will not take place within 48 hours of tourney round ending.
Rule: Tourney rounds will not end early unless all brackets have been decided.

I still go back to my initial post.

That seems quite easy to write and live by.

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

i didnt say we could not make a rule that tourneys cant be extended closer than 48 hrs to the end. was just telling you my current practice...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Forum Index » General Discussion