[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Broken Ranked maps
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I wanted somewhere to post when I find a map perceived as 'unfair'

This can come in a number of flavors, but in general:

1) advantage to K or S in being able to capture a base a turn or more earlier than T due to mobility.

2) too many bases owned at the start of the game lead to give player 2 an overwhelming credit advantage early in the game.

3) other. Please specify

So please write the number ) map name

Aaaaand first submission:

2) ZemlyaBezRadosti

Plenty cool map. But when player two gets an extra 750 credits, seems a bit insane to me.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

1) themorningafterpad

I like this map, but it does take T an extra turn to capture the corner base. I don't know if that means it shouldn't be ranked. But I think it would make sense to move an infantry piece onto the dunes next to the corner base to repair that discrepancy.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Went through most of the frozen maps, and all of the Mars type ones, here's what I've got:

1) AlienPlanetColonization

Again, love this map, but K can cap the far base a turn earlier than S/T

2) FrozenTundra
Extra 750 credits for player 2

2) Klondike
Extra 750, BUT starting credits is 625 so the difference in starting credits is at least lessened.

1) Trojanhat
T takes an extra turn to cap the base

I'll keep looking...
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I'm working through all of the non-regular map tile type ranked 2 player maps.

If anyone wants to start on the regular tile maps that would be awesome, but eventually I will get to them.

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

1) ash plain
K can grab base early. S can block yellow bottom base easily (unless yellow is K perhaps)

3) havoc pit / havoc pit tourney
Does it make sense to have more than 1 version of any map, esp with only subtle changes. W the massive variety of maps... Just doesn't make sense to me

2) blackout2
Player 2 gets an extra 800 credits?

2) wiking
Player 2 starts w 375 credits, player 1 starts with 0 credits? Why not flip it? I don't get it... Just a waisted turn one.

1) salt lakes
K has a large advantage in going after early bases, getting two in turn one versus one for other races. Also able to cap far base earlier.

That's all I got through today... I'll finish up the oasis tile set, then start on original tile sometime.
[Avatar]
volf

[Avatar]
volf

Ahem, havocpit tourney is an absolute favorite of mine. The tourney version was made for a tournament where there was a problem with the opening. You could keep the second player from grabbing one of their bases, that's why there is an extra desert in the middle put there by sims. Granted, titans are screwed on that map haha. I see wjat you are doing here but you do realize this will all be fixed when the pro mirrored games come out right? Just saying This is good for which maps to ask for peace on during ranked games for now. Whatever you do, add clusterfudge to the list. That screwy little map gives me nightmares...
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Thank you for the thoughtful reply

If Sims version of havoc is better, then can't we get rid of the old version? I'm not suggesting we get rid of both, just the "worse" one.

Literally two tiles changed out of what, 300? Seems like that doesn't warrant an extra ranked map to me.

If you think it does then I would be fine w that honestly. It's a much smaller problem than the broken maps.

And I don't personally think that a pro mirror is a good excuse to have broken ranked maps...
Abie

Abie

Guys,

I posted a thread about this type of stuff in User Generated Maps. Maybe I should move or recreate it here in the general forum.

Please take a look:

http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/2182.page

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I did take a look over there. Kinda figure general discussion is likely to get more traffic. I am definitely happy to have more maps added to this list. And I don't believe myself to be the definitive authority by any means, I just hope at some point the person(s) who are will review these maps

So I'm still working on beach tiles, the big need will be team maps or the regular tiles.... But eventually i will get to both I imagine
Forum Index » General Discussion