[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New race idea (Phasing Race) *updated 2/25
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Hadn't thought about it.

What might be interesting is a unit w a push mechanic... Maybe doesn't work on units on a base. That could be interesting.

I would like a unit with a short range UV too.. But for this race I think I'll leave it at these units for now.

Eventually I'll edit the OP to reflect changes we discussed
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Added a new unit. Fits the tank class a lot better. But with two draw backs (no repair without mother ship ofc, plus it blinds nearby troops.)

Also will require a charge to hit tanks with any oomph. But otherwise they're durable and cheap, and can hopefully disrupt the vision of your enemy as well as your own :p
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I like the archon

I have no idea what the name even means but it sounds cool
I'd consider giving it better attack or defense stats, depending on the range of blinding light. But i think it adds a lot to this race

Possible conversions : Dominate; gives it the ability to insert superiority over certain creatures. Only works on underlings (by definition, ants in a hive lead by a queen, resigns their queen to archon) and mechas ( gives mechas new orders and commands, reasserting ancient computers hidden in their systems). Possible cool down ability: Virus: creates a phenomenal virus with DNA that can also change titan computer systems. Spreads like plague and reduces vision to 1 -2.

Tankbuster- I think your spot on giving it a move after attack and an attack after move at the same time; I had not even thought of that. Anyways, its original and doesn't sound at all OP

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 13, 2016 20:10

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

The range for the vision debuff is 6 I guess, or whatever the max vision is (I want it to reduce vision for anything that can look in its direction. ) *** i just was thinking, archons should be immediately visible upon creation, and it should lift the Fog of War for whatever hex it occupies... I need to add that to my next update***

Hopefully this would allow you to create a condition where neither side could see each other.

one potential problem is that walkers wouldn't be able to see something to shoot, and tank hunters have the same threat range as them.... So a tank hunter could possibly hit a walker that couldn't hit it first. Although, that would require kinda poor positioning on the Titan players part, aaaand a lot of planning for the phasing player.

I like the thought at least

I don't want to add any other abilities to him at this time, as that price point is a flexible one to be in.

Without charge the archon is underpowered compared to tanks and pinzers, but with a charge attack it is quite comparable. It also has MUCH better mobility (esp with charge... It moves unlike any other tank unit) and the vision ability... It has a lot going for it. Maybe too much at this price. I think it might work given: inability to repair normally, vision debuff aspect, lower base stats.

The high defense and mobility are the strengths for sure... I would very much enjoy playing this unit. May be my new favorite glad I thought up this charge thing too I really like that ability. Tho might need a bigger cool down.

I'm rambling :p

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13, 2016 20:25

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Updated the mothership:
Increased mobility
Increased healing rate
Decreased cost
Took away unit creation skill
Reduced skill cool down

I also changed the hover tank stats, making it more effective versus aerial. Also noted it can be built at naval bases.

I also reduced the vision scores across the board for this race.

Looking at this race now. I think the clear problem is the early game. I think the orbs will have to be able to capture bases. No problem. I also think they need a better GL attack. Maybe 5. They need to be able to at least compete somewhat with marines , underlings and mechas... Otherwise this race has to rely on rippers wayyyy too much early..... Maybe rippers will need a change to compensate. But I think making the orbs more effective could work. Maybe will reduce mobility to 12 and increase GL to 5. Then will have to compare numbers w marines and mechas. Something for another day

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13, 2016 20:55

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Just realized:
Orbs at 150 means capturing a base costs 50 more than other races. Wondering how to offset that :/ maybe when an orb captures a base, you get an extra 50 credits the next turn..... Or something along those lines.

That may be a problem. Mobility of 12 will be necessary as well, will allow them to capture at same range as underlings.
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I think being able to fly will compensate for a lot of things. But I don't see a worse gl making it OP. Honestly, in a lot of terrain infantry will oust orbs- and yet, orba can fly far faster over mountains. I think it's fine.

I didn't know it was that powerful lol. I guess that don't need conversions anyways :p . I think that its balanced. It has worst stats than a tank and costs more. With the permanent vision thing (you said we will always be able to see it). It's should be fine. I think you should give it infantry mobility costs and classify it as GH. That way, its not ran over by maruader, but its still infantry.

For rippers, I'd wait until you think up an original idea, you don't wanna rush it.

Lastly, I think motherships were fine the way they were. I'd let them at least make infantry- it seems to cost a lot for something without a useful ability (plague, emp, uv, etc.)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 13, 2016 22:37

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Having one turn where 2-5 of your units deal damage when attacked is probably as good as UV, at least comparable imo..

Maybe the unit building would be good. I'm torn lol. Realized it needed more mobility. And its main function is repair. So having to pay for an extra ability just seemed unnecessary.

Rippers may be good now, but they're just gonna be either dominant or useless depending on situation. They could def become an eclipse type unit.

Orbs flying is a nice thing. But if they can't kill anything AND cost more than regular infantry.. That flight just may not be enough to justify the cost. Esp given that you'll have to pay for them and then use them to cap bases, giving up resource advantage in the process. Maybe I'll get them down to cost 100 and they'll be the flying infantry. Reduce speed to 9 or 10... Fix other stats... Could be good.

As for the archon... Infantry mobility is a VERY interesting idea.... Being able to move across a mountain tile would make this very difficult to deal with. It has some stats worse than tanks, but it has huuuuge mobility which is very valuable. So I think it is pretty even, maybe under priced .. Depending on what the vision perk does to both sides
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I miss understood you there. I thought that the motherships repulsor shield only effected the mothership. Well I still think it might be a bit over priced. I like the unit structure, yes, but if I used a walker to deal 5-7 damage I could count on receiving 3 back at best. I feel like it needs something more to it, I think building infantry fills that hole. I think that you should still have to pay for the infantry. Or maybe it can support its own personal drones that deploy from the ship, and every time a piece of the ship is destroyed so is a drone.....

If you give the balls too much G.L, they will be used instead of the original infantry. They are cheaper and faster. I think that the infantry should also get more mobility. I mean, not like 12 or anything dramatic, maybe 11. It does cost 175 after all, it deserves to be a little superior to other infantry.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 14, 2016 02:57

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Apercent wrote:I miss understood you there. I thought that the motherships repulsor shield only effected the mothership. Well I still think it might be a bit over priced. I like the unit structure, yes, but if I used a walker to deal 5-7 damage I could count on receiving 3 back at best. I feel like it needs something more to it, I think building infantry fills that hole. I think that you should still have to pay for the infantry. Or maybe it can support its own personal drones that deploy from the ship, and every time a piece of the ship is destroyed so is a drone.....

If you give the balls too much G.L, they will be used instead of the original infantry. They are cheaper and faster. I think that the infantry should also get more mobility. I mean, not like 12 or anything dramatic, maybe 11. It does cost 175 after all, it deserves to be a little superior to other infantry.

I actually did give the infantry the charge ability, so 1/4 turns they will have a 12 mobility, and a better attack than their stats say. They are def a useful piece, buuuut given their lack of ZoC and cost, this race still needs something a little closer to an infantry unit. I think a 150 flying orb can be that.

I want the orbs to go about -4/-7 against mechas and marines. . Maybe -3/-5, but somewhere in that range.

As for the walker thing:
Walkers have 5 defense and 10 GH attack. So the repulsor shield would actually deal 5 damage back on average.... Which is a pretty significant sum I think we can agree
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

So its based on GH attack or health points lost? Even so, I can totally see myself building a bunch of assimilates and healing 4 behind the safety of my wall. I'd beef up the defense or maybe give it a personal repair of 3, so it poses a huge problem to walkers.

The cool down is cool for infantry is good .

If you want them to give 4 and take 7, your probably going to need to decrease the defense. I think a 3/5 rate should work the way it is. Unless you want it to be the other way around, in which case. Give it garuda like defense and 7/6. G.L attack. I can see that tipping the price range, so I think the best thing to do is to keep it the way it is.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 14, 2016 10:50

[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Didn't have time to read the details but sounds cool. I had similar thoughts about a race that could break some ZOC norms, for example a unit that moves more knight-like, two spaces then one at an angle away, pops there and can attack regardless of ZOC. Interesting for gang-up and creating problems for artillery defense, ideally such a race can be interesting vs. walkers.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

waxoid wrote:Didn't have time to read the details but sounds cool. I had similar thoughts about a race that could break some ZOC norms, for example a unit that moves more knight-like, two spaces then one at an angle away, pops there and can attack regardless of ZOC. Interesting for gang-up and creating problems for artillery defense, ideally such a race can be interesting vs. walkers.

Interesting idea for the knight like movement. Could def be interesting.

I thought breaking the ZoC thing would def be a big change. So I wanted that on a couple units. I also wanted to flip which tiles provide bonuses and which provide negative stats... That's gonna be somerhing extra people have to remember, that a swamp tile is all of a sudden good, and a mountain is bad.

A couple units that can ignore ZoC might be okay, but since blocking is such a good and fun part of strategy, I want to make sure that these units are penalized for having that ability appropriately. So, that will be a challenge.

But I certainly believe in the premise of changing things up in those regards. I think there are some fun gameplay mechanics available for this race, but I'm sure a lot of tweaking is gonna be necessary still

Thanks for reading and replying
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Apercent wrote:So its based on GH attack or health points lost? Even so, I can totally see myself building a bunch of assimilates and healing 4 behind the safety of my wall. I'd beef up the defense or maybe give it a personal repair of 3, so it poses a huge problem to walkers.

The cool down is cool for infantry is good .

If you want them to give 4 and take 7, your probably going to need to decrease the defense. I think a 3/5 rate should work the way it is. Unless you want it to be the other way around, in which case. Give it garuda like defense and 7/6. G.L attack. I can see that tipping the price range, so I think the best thing to do is to keep it the way it is.

You know it should be based upon the attacking units Aerial attack stat, since the mothership is an aerial unit.

You are correct about the balls. I was looking at the GL attack of the other infantry units instead of their aerial attack during. These orbs may have to have a defense of 2, but I am gonna go with 3 for now, but I am going to up their GL to 5. Base defense for infantry is 5-6, but they almost always have a terrain bonus adding +2... The orbs can't get that bonus. They will still be good at air and sea, however. I think I will reduce their cost to 125, so capturing a base doesn't hurt as much.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Changes to aerial zap balls:
Decreased cost from 150->125
Decreased mobility from 15 to 12
Noted they can capture bases
Decreased vision from 4 to 3
Increased GL from 3 to 5
Decreased aerial attack from 5 to 4
Decreased defense from 4 to 3

So: they have great mobility, but no repair ability, poor attack and defense, and they are more expensive than a regular infantry. I think two things:
1 they will still be built because: they're still good against air for their cost
2 they're the best way to capture bases
3 they're a cheap scout type unit all things considered
4 they will be better off surrounding a mothership so they can heal and protect it. Which is what I was thinking with them anyway

Definitely still room to move with their stats or cost, but this is a good starting point I think.

Should give swarmers a run for their money. ... Maybe too much so...

Second round of changes TODAY:

Increased cost back to 150
Decreased movement to 6
Unit now has two actions per turn
Defense increased to 4
New ability: cosmic redemption provides base capturing credit relief (cost to capture a base is closer to 125 now)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15, 2016 18:46

Forum Index » New Feature Request