[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Uniwar coins?
Forum Index » General Discussion
Bond....007

Bond....007

I was hoping Uniwar would not go the way of in app purchases but it happened. So if I'm playing someone, if the have purchased the undo feature. Can that player undo moves and thus get an unfair advantage?
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Turn undo has been arround for a long time. The undo button is just a faster more convienient version of it. The free method is to log into an alternate account then back to your main.

It's not a serious advantage (those with patience will scout as much as possible into the fog or repeat attack sequences until the optimal attack series is reached.

Us cassual gamers use it when we fumble finger a move by accident.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
legia

[Avatar]
legia

Bond....007 wrote:I was hoping Uniwar would not go the way of in app purchases but it happened. So if I'm playing someone, if the have purchased the undo feature. Can that player undo moves and thus get an unfair advantage?

You can always make turn redo watch this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzeveSXD9ag
[youtube]NzeveSXD9ag[/youtube]

I am somekind of veteran here. Check my videos about UniWar on YouTube: LINK.
Playlist in English: LINK.

Cobra76

Cobra76

It is pay to win now. I don't care you can do it for free with another account. It was a bug and it should have been patched. Doing this part of the strategy related to vision is completely ruined.
Terrible choice just to make little money.
serikde

serikde

Hi,

I was curious about the coin stuff and therefore went to the forum. Reading about the undo decided to test it.

I am a mid-level player and I am WAY better when I use it.
- The fog of war is pretty much non existent.
- In complex scenarios I can get better results.
- And when I accidentally did something I can go back.

So the question is: Is it pay to win?

And I think it is. In theory and practice. Here is why:

In practice it is clearly better because the undo trick just takes too long to do it all the time.
In theory it is also pay to win because the undo trick is not an official feature. People have to find it in the forums (or youtube) and I guess most don't know about it.

So that leaves me with a couple of options:
- Pay more money than I paid for the actual game to be competitive.
- Don't pay and get frustrated by knowing that there is an option and either taking it and wasting time and nerves or not taking it and know that I could have done better.
- Stop playing.

So I will see what I am going to do.

I can understand that developers want to make money. That is only fair. But changing a game to a pay to win model without involving the community is a risky thing. And I think the price might be a bit steep as well.

I think there would have been some other options. For example they could have reduced the amount of games one can play. Let's say to 3. Everyone who want to play more has to pay. The same with tournaments. You could have made a rule where you can be in only one tournament at a time but you can buy more slots. Both options are not pay to win and I would think a lot of people would have paid for it. You could even do a subscription solution where you pay to be able to play more games for a certain amount of time. This way you have a steady income.

Some years ago I used to play weewar. I think it is dead now. But I paid for a pro subscription. It was not pricey (I think 4 USD per month) and not pay to win. You could even extend it for free when you invite other people to the game.

I don't think the developers are going to change anything now that they have rolled it out. But I don't think it was the best move and it certainly diminished the joy I have playing this very nice game.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

its a matter of perspective i guess...

i disagree with undo being pay to win

it have been possible to do this easy and for free - and it still is. The only thing that has changed is that an even easier and more convinient way is possible to pay for.

Only way to stop this would be to upload move-by-move instead of the whole turn at once.

There will also be ways in the future to get some unicoins for free from different activites - so it can be done by anybody.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18, 2016 21:55

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Cobra76

Cobra76

serikde wrote:Hi,

I was curious about the coin stuff and therefore went to the forum. Reading about the undo decided to test it.

I am a mid-level player and I am WAY better when I use it.
- The fog of war is pretty much non existent.
- In complex scenarios I can get better results.
- And when I accidentally did something I can go back.

So the question is: Is it pay to win?

And I think it is. In theory and practice. Here is why:

In practice it is clearly better because the undo trick just takes too long to do it all the time.
In theory it is also pay to win because the undo trick is not an official feature. People have to find it in the forums (or youtube) and I guess most don't know about it.

So that leaves me with a couple of options:
- Pay more money than I paid for the actual game to be competitive.
- Don't pay and get frustrated by knowing that there is an option and either taking it and wasting time and nerves or not taking it and know that I could have done better.
- Stop playing.

So I will see what I am going to do.

I can understand that developers want to make money. That is only fair. But changing a game to a pay to win model without involving the community is a risky thing. And I think the price might be a bit steep as well.

I think there would have been some other options. For example they could have reduced the amount of games one can play. Let's say to 3. Everyone who want to play more has to pay. The same with tournaments. You could have made a rule where you can be in only one tournament at a time but you can buy more slots. Both options are not pay to win and I would think a lot of people would have paid for it. You could even do a subscription solution where you pay to be able to play more games for a certain amount of time. This way you have a steady income.

Some years ago I used to play weewar. I think it is dead now. But I paid for a pro subscription. It was not pricey (I think 4 USD per month) and not pay to win. You could even extend it for free when you invite other people to the game.

I don't think the developers are going to change anything now that they have rolled it out. But I don't think it was the best move and it certainly diminished the joy I have playing this very nice game.

Totally agree
Cobra76

Cobra76

simsverd wrote:its a matter of perspective i guess...

i disagree with undo being pay to win

it have been possible to do this easy and for free - and it still is. The only thing that has changed is that an even easier and more convinient way is possible to pay for.

Only way to stop this would be to upload move-by-move instead of the whole turn at once.

There will also be ways in the future to get some unicoins for free from different activites - so it can be done by anybody.

It's a bug. Developers should patch it. Or eliminate fog of war, that's a real shame for a strategy game.
nindatana

nindatana

serikde wrote:I was curious about the coin stuff and therefore went to the forum. Reading about the undo decided to test it.

Excellent description of the situation. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and share.I

have used undo from time to time, sometimes for strategy, never to destroy fog of war, but mostly because of mistakes like moving a character unintentionally. I feel dirty using it for anything other than fumble fingers.

I wish there were other things to spend coins on, the disabled "support development" for instance. I've bought as many concurrent games as I need and don't see myself using archived games.

I worry the statistics of my coin spending will be interpreted as support for pay-to-undo, so have decided I'm not doing that any more. I'm pessimistic this will have any real effect other than keeping my standings lower than they otherwise might be but its what feels right for me.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

@ Cobra, it's just a matter of time, 10 seconds vs a 1 second push. I don't see it as that big a deal.

@ Nin, that feature is also what I'm waiting for as well. I will be buying undo but intended to dump the rest into support Dev. No clue why they haven't activated it yet.

@ Xavi what is the delay on the support dev option?

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
Cobra76

Cobra76

TheDragon wrote:@ Cobra, it's just a matter of time, 10 seconds vs a 1 second push. I don't see it as that big a deal.

The point is that the strategic element of the fog of war is eliminated with these tricks , especially in the early stage of the game and on certain maps. And I think that fog of war it is an important feature of every strategy game.
lunacat

lunacat

TheDragon wrote:@ Cobra, it's just a matter of time, 10 seconds vs a 1 second push. I don't see it as that big a deal.

@ Nin, that feature is also what I'm waiting for as well. I will be buying undo but intended to dump the rest into support Dev. No clue why they haven't activated it yet.

@ Xavi what is the delay on the support dev option?

If you want to support the devs just buy the unicoins. You don't need to spend them.
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

The new items for the shop are planned to be released this week probably in v1.8.80+

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22, 2016 18:43

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
Forum Index » General Discussion