[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
War fund
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I like uniwar, but I have noticed that the game is over as soon as a player loses a base (there are very few exceptions). This is not necessarily a bad thing but I would like to see some maps where that wasnt always the case. I think I have a couple of small additions that would allow it.
A war fund, is a fixed amount of credits per turn added to the number of credits you get per base per turn. I.e. on a level with 5 bases per player and a base cost of 50 with a war fund of 250 your total credits per turn is 5*50 + 250 = 500.
So what effect does this have? Without a war fund in the previous example if player A loses a base to player B then in the following rounds A has 200 credits/turn B has 300 c/t. B is earning 50% more credits than A, A it's going to lose!
With a war a fund the effect of losing the base is A has 450 c/t and B has 550 c/t. This is only an 18% difference you might just come back from that!
With a war fund it would also be possible to have negative base costs e.g. -50. So in the previous example with 5 bases if we had a war fund of 500 the c/t would still be 250 I.e 5*(-50) +500. But when A lost the base they would actually gain credits to spend defending their renaming bases.
The idea of negative base cost is that bases are strategic assets that allow you to put units near the front line, but at a cost. In games with negative base cost you would probably not capture bases but just leave them covered. This would use up a unit and the enemy might kill it at some point.
Hopefully many more interesting games at a relatively low development cost.

Keep up the good work!
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Actually that sounds pretty cool. I especially like the negative funding part. Maybe you have to pay for your home city?
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I really like this idea.

As part of this discussion, though a separate idea: I would like to see other objectives: flags / bombs / VIPs...

Def some down the road stuff. But i think your idea sounds easy ish to implement and could have an immediate effect on the game
amidama

amidama

there are maps with lots of bases, where single base doesnt cost that much.
and there are bases with few bases, where each base capture is a nearly always a win.

just play maps with lots of bases, like starvation

Hakumen
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

ShrimpontheBarbie or HungerGames are maps where lots of low budget bases where the choice is do you sacrifice a 100 pt unit for a 25pt base or defend the few you have. (first 2 player, second 6 player) a very different game and lots of fun

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
nindatana

nindatana

This sounds like a good idea. I've noticed my primary strategy is often get an extra base as quick as possible. It would be good to be forced t be more adaptable and use variety.
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

Today, the version 1.8.77 is in BETA and should be released publicly very soon (hoping for today).
It has a new Map Editor that allows to use any units and create "mission" instead of maps with different objectives and locked races...

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
Mentalist

[Avatar]
Mentalist

Sounds good but wouldn't that make matches last much longer?
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

A negative war fund could do the opposite
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I've played a few of the levels that have small base credits and many bases type levels but I still feel there is a place for a war fund especially with negative base cost. On a map like omega there are 5 bases. You each own 2 and fight over the last one in the centre. The game is over when a player captures the base...sometimes it takes few turns for the losing side to accept it. If capturing the base meant a reduction in your income then you'd need to push further before you took it or save up. There would still be a strategic advantage to it as your troops on the front line will be getting more support sooner to make that final push.

I do agree though a war fund will almost certainly make games last longer, but that's really the point. I don't want the game to be over just because I lost 1 base. The large groups of low value bases isn't quite the same either as they enemy still outnumbers the base you just captured. There's also the problem of you don't have the resources to cover everything which while interesting requires very different strategies.

Negative war fund... does that mean you'd have troops desert if you lost enough bases? Maybe it's just a quicker end scenario if your income reaches negative you lose.
Forum Index » New Feature Request