[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Game improvement ideas...
Forum Index » General Discussion
dougman4

dougman4

These are the most urgent modifications needed. Keep in mind that I love the game, and I still marvel at the massive improvement the pinch to resize the map has made. It makes me happy every time I resize, which is dozens of times a day. So, my thoughts here may seem critical but try to address the areas I think still could be meaningfully improved, so I can also smile instead of frown in these situations:

1. The in game chat input field is one line, it needs to immediately revert back to the previous paragraph size field where you could see the whole text at a glance. I constantly have to scroll around to read what I have written. It is dreadfully cumbersome, and easily the worst thing about the game currently. Improve what was previously done with the paragraph size field by showing the characters remaining so that words aren't clipped when the text is sent.

2. When a unit is clicked on to move, the X in the lower right hand corner needs to come back to deselect the unit. This is easily the second most irritating thing in the game, having to go way up to the upper left corner to exit and deselect the unit.

3. The unit status text crawl at the top of the screen STILL OBSCURES JEEP MOVES. It is awful to have to wait for the crawl to come around for the moves remaining to be displayed. In games where you accumulate a handful of jeeps, this becomes a miserable game experience. Please, for the love of god, get rid of the text crawl entirely or figure out a way to show moves on the unit hex.

4. When you finish a movement with jeep, it stays selected. It should not automatically be selected, which requires needless deselecting and frustration.

5. Team games. Kill quantity and kill value should also be individually shown by player.
dougman4

dougman4

6. Unit colors are still messed up. Having black look green for some units (Titans/khraleans) makes no sense. There is so much orange and brown in the khralean green color, that the black color is more green than the green color. Having orange and red look so close makes it difficult to differentiate, and practically impossible for khral units. Only sapiens colors seem to be true.

7. Rotate future modification of unit values to another top player. We have disproportionately allowed a single player to warp the game too much to his preference, which certainly differs to what many other top players prefer and is in some ways at odds with the history and style of the game. I find the unilateral nature chilling. Clearly, the best path forward though, is to make all the unit values individually toggle-able so we all can play how we wish. SUCH A FEATURE WOULD BE THE GOLD STANDARD AND THE SINGLE BEST ENHANCEMENT TO THE GAME.

8. Early rounds on unbalanced maps created rigged, uncompetitive results. We have had several maps recently unworthy of tournament play. Being on the wrong side of a unbalanced map results in automatic expulsion from the tournament - which is unfair. Better to repeatedly play a half dozen proven tournament quality maps, then to pursue variety at the expense of proven game play fairness. Tournament maps should always be play tested in advance. I do it and know immediately when it is not fair. So, it bewilders me when they are selected for tournament play.

9. Random games. I've been keeping record of the maps selected for random play in my games. And, I'm certain they are not random. Some maps are never selected. And, others are repeatedly selected. It becomes statistically improbable. In these games too, it would be better for only a dozen fair maps to be chosen from instead of the full universe where a substantial portion have bias.

10. Tournament team ladder. Where is it? Why are tournament teams not ranked? Tournament play is far superior to other play because it is mirrored and should be given as much or more attention/recognition. Having a ladder based on unmirrored play is nonsensical to me.
dougman4

dougman4

11. My previous comments on improving map balance remain relevant. Map makers need to be allowed to vary money and units by player position and race so that any map can finally be made fair.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

half of them are actually fine as they are. Your "map balancing" thing.. They told you to make the map as fair as possible when you are on the map editor.

10. tournaments shouldn't be ranked as it affects your score if they do so.

9. I consider random games random enough, sure it may repeat some, but overall, it gives a random enough map and players to play with. I play random all the time.

1. It's actually not that irritating, but I'd suggest making 2 lines more than a whole paragraph.

2. You'll get used to the controls, it takes time.

4. Sure the select menu for units may disappear after moving, but you can select the unit again or press the undo button (lower left corner). I'd count it as glitchy, but I guess they'll fix it.

6. Unit coloring is fine, I'd leave it as it is, it's not that important.

Overall, your suggestions are very demanding, they only consist of 3-5 guys and they can't do them all in a single update.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 14, 2016 06:47

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I'd like something like this

In chat. You see how I can skip lines? You can't do that in chat. It really would help though
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Apercent and LkASr : dougman4 is a high level player and many of his suggestions are worth discussing furter. If you have your own ideas that isnt related to his suggestions i would prefer i you made them in own posts.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

dougman4.

I agree with some of your points, but not all :

1. Agree
2. ok, but its not a thing i had thought of myself as important
3. Agree
4. ok, but its not a thing i had thought of myself as important
5. Agree
6. yes, they can still be better (though i dont have a problem with them myself)
7. That is wrong. Many of the top players have contributed. Have you given your thoughts in the forumpost about balance?
8. Disagree ovbiously (since i select most of them) ...jokes aside. I use maps i find and also from tips. I will continue to have multiple maps and change maps from tourney to tourney. You are the first that have wanted it not to be different maps each time. Why do you think may other players share your wiew? Remember that the top players wishes is not all that counts here...
9. As far as i know the whole rated map pool is used for randoms. There will very soon be a change to how rating of maps is done, including weighted vote...wich will purge many of the poorly designed maps (hopefully)
10. I dont know.. possibly because there are so many ladders already? or perhaps because they are currently set ut to start as round-robin... i really dont have a good answer here.
11. Agree. There will come big changes to what can be done in the map-editor

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

1 that would be awesome
2 I haven't had a problem with that, maybe it's specific to the device you play on?
3 God please YES
4 same as 2 for me

5 that would be fine, but not a priority at all to me. We are a team after all and what matters at the end is the final number. If my partner isn't killing as much often its because his role is different than mine, so to speak ?

6 I like the unit colors and haven't had any issue. Other than being sick of red, and hating yellow on bugs and Titans.

7 agreed with Sims. No one except the forum frequenters responded to the balance thread. Even fewer followed the rules given. It was sad. Any blame anyone wants to give on unit balance at this point is moot, because they almost certainly didn't participate in the process. I don't think it's worth the time to allow people to modify unit stats in unranked. Personally.

8 map balance is a problem. Hope the new system will fix it. I like variety over balance though tbh.

9 odd. No clue . You're probably right. I think it might select from newest and most popular at higher priorities ? NFI.

10 when it comes it comes personally .. Would be nice tho

11 that'll be one of the adds in the new map editor I think? Can't wait for it!!

Thanks for your post. Like the ideas for the most part
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

simsverd wrote:Apercent and LkASr : dougman4 is a high level player and many of his suggestions are worth discussing furter. If you have your own ideas that isnt related to his suggestions i would prefer i you made them in own posts.

When did lkasr make a suggestion? Did I miss something?
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

1- that sounds great
2- maybe later, it seems irrelevant, a good idea nevertheless
3- Idk, it sound slike a pretty good idea but I'd rather xavi devote his time elsewhere
4- agree
5- agree
6- I don't really even see a problem, but I heard xavi was working on a color builder. That sounds like a solution.
7- This game is all about unique units. Giving everyone the power to make units will make the rest less unique. Not to mention, this will completely screw up random ranked. It only takes one extra stat point to dominate (e.g leviathans with 11 defense vs 12).
I'm sure if someone has a really good unit idea it will eventually come in
8- I'll just ignore this one. I'm not sure about the last rounds, caus' I never beat the first ones
9- I think the system is good. I think maybe their should be a change, but not a complete switch to only a few maps
10- agree
11- I like this a lot.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15, 2016 01:52

drumstep

drumstep

1. This might have to do with your device. I have a droid turbo and if i put it in landscape mode I get a paragraph box separate from the app. Still agree the old chat box was better though.

2. Took me awhile to get used to it not being there, but I think it's fine. There was also a weird bug where using it let units make infinite moves as long as they were adjacent to an enemy unit, allowing for scouting the entire map.

3. Solved by playing in landscape mode, which is my preferred method of playing.

4. Agree. The majority of my need to undo involves moving marauder back onto the base I moved it from when I meant to build something else.

5. Agree. I like to know if I'm holding my own in a team game.

6. Most of the time I don't have an issue, but if the units are greyed out it becomes much harder to tell color, especially the ones you mentioned. Another issue I have is occasionally losing buried underling because of color, such as red on Mars swamp.

7. More voices would be good, but it's hard to get that kind of commitment and actually agree on something. No to toggle.

8. Haven't had many experiences with that in tournament, but that may be because I'm not experienced enough to recognize them. But I prefer variety over playing the same map.

9. Seems that way to me too, but may be example of confirmation bias.

10. Not necessary in my opinion, and mirroring team games seems like it would be awkward since the races were probably picked to suit the teams collective play style. Round Robin also doesn't contribute well to a ladder.

11. As mentioned by others, I think this is coming and will be a great addition.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 15, 2016 04:11

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Apercent wrote:

When did lkasr make a suggestion? Did I miss something?

after dougman posted his suggestions

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
Forum Index » General Discussion