[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
The art of bidding
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

I also would agree with those implements, But more importantly "ski" you gotta give that guy at least 5 points for the fine use of the term bellicose rhetoric.

Psalms 100:5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

I like the idea of bidding. I need to put more thinking into it.... I am not sure how to test it either...

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
EVR1022

EVR1022

I'm not sure I like the idea of bidding. However, what if we modified this idea -

At the beginning of the game, players are required to rate how balanced they expect the match up to be:

a) winning for blue (+5 points for a blue win, -25 points for a blue loss)
b) edge for blue (+10 points for a blue win, -20 points for a blue loss)
c) balanced (+15 points for a blue win, -15 points for a blue loss)
d) edge for red (+20 points for a blue win, -10 points for a blue loss)
e) winning for red (+25 points for a blue win, -5 points for a blue loss)

Of course, the system would have to average the votes from the two players. But I think something like this might be a better way for players to influence how many points are given / taken for winning / losing a match.
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

But calling a map balanced solely on terrain and match up is a matter of perspective. Suppose I chose only the balanced option for 15 points, then the server throws me into a match up I don't think to be balanced. Said method would be better than the current system absolutely, but betting outright after viewing map/scenario would still offer more freedom.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22, 2016 12:25

Psalms 100:5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
EVR1022

EVR1022

I meant that you would choose this AFTER you get assigned a map and have a chance to review it, but before submitting your first turn.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

The idea is good... but i think a bidding system would complicate things... im more for automated solutions.

I suggest that above acertain score (for example 2000) the ELO formula is adjusted for the statistical win/loss with race and position.
Also i think that there should be a minimum points to win, regardless of ELO scores, for example 5

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

Standardized scoring system is not a good idea, when map balance is such a HUGE factor. Most matches are won before the first unit is moved. So to have a standardized scoring system against a player that's almost 100 points less that says player 1 losses 20 points and player 2 only looses 7 Is a really bad idea to me. If all maps were guaranteed balanced Id say go for it, but why not let game experience and a good eye speak for its self and let people choose based on what the random system throws at them. Like for example Sims... Say random pits us against each other on sky and sand, I'm khrals and your saps, since I know already im winning this I'm throwing 20 points down. Your bid

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 22, 2016 16:01

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

Also I don't want to get too hung up on the fact that this method would be effective in solving the point system problem experienced by high end players. But to me the bigger fix is related to the unbalanced maps, I don't think this would come without its problems, and yes some experience is required to spot an unbalanced map, but it doesn't take very long to catch on.
My point is, unbalanced maps have been somewhat of a big topic in the community at large. Everyone that's ever lost a big chunk of points due to that factor would agree. The bidding system would allow you to set your own limits according to how you feel about a certain map and matchup. While also allowing you to bluff someone in the process.

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

@EVR1022: I've thought about your modification ideas and it's not a bad one either. I just don't know your thoughts on how it would flow.

Would you mind going into a little more detail as to how it would work from start to finish

[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

how about each player puts in their bid. It could be min/max what each is willing to risk on match

Then it's agree or skip match (similar to peace out.)

If you're willing to risk max loss vs min win then go for it or vise versa or just pass

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

That could work, I would suggest to let it go through a few counter offers as turns as I suggested as well.

Forum Index » General Discussion