[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Poll: Option for "no undo" games?
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Would you support the OPTION to play games with no undo, just like how Fog of War is currently an option?
Yes, I want it to be an option, and I would use it! 29% [ 4 ]
Yes, I want it to be an option, but I wouldn't use it. 14% [ 2 ]
I don't care one way or the other. 14% [ 2 ]
No, I strongly DO NOT WANT this to be an option. 43% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14
Sicariphus

Sicariphus

Some people prefer the uncertainty that comes from not being able to undo one's turns.

For those who feel undo worsens the game, I suggest that there be an option (similar to the Fog of War on/off option) for "no undo".

Regarding the technical details:

Obviously, paid undo is easy to disable.

To disable free undo, I can think of two options:

1:
When it is a player's turn in a 'no undo' match, when they first open the match to take their turn, UniWar sends a signal to the central server indicating that the player has accessed that game. The server does nothing. If the player switches accounts and comes back, and opens the same match again, then UniWar sends the signal again, because as far as it can tell, this is the first time. If the server receives a second such signal for a given game, then it sends a signal back to UniWar, saying "this is not the first time that this player has opened this particular turn." UniWar then forces 'end turn' on that game, effectively skipping the player's turn.

NOTE: This would only apply to games in which the players have VOLUNTARILY selected the "no undo" option. It would NOT be triggered by a player's phone dying, closing and reopening UniWar, etc. It would ONLY happen on "NO UNDO" games, and ONLY if the player attempts to account switch, which would be cheating in a "NO UNDO" game.

2:
When a player logs into their UniWar account to play online, UniWar checks to see if the cache has been reset (i.e. if the player has switched accounts) since the last login. If UniWar detects upon login that an account switch has happened, then any open "NO UNDO" turns are forcibly skipped.

This has the advantage of being 100% client-side (meaning that it can be accomplished without ANY modification to the behavior of the UniWar server), but has the disadvantage of potentially being activated if a player who is playing both "undo allowed" and "no undo" games logs out and in again.

Please vote!
[Avatar]
Michaelrn

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

I would like to see an option to play without undo.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I would only be happy with this option if i never got any of these games come up in random or ranked. if this became an option for games I'd like an option to never see "no undo" games in my profile.
[Avatar]
Uniwarpoland

[Avatar]
Uniwarpoland

I think undoing turns gives a big tactical aspect to this game and also it saves a lot of time because you can easily test few setups instead of analyzing all moves forward.

TIPS, TRICKS & videos from UniWar Poland Youtube channel: LINK.
Poradnik dla początkujących: LINK.

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

The "no undo" could be optional, only available to players to who wants that.

I agree that the undo gives a big tactical aspect, but it also diminishes another one that is the fow. I like the undo but sometimes I would be happy to play a game where fow has a great impact.
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

I think uniwar would be a totally different, and totally awesome, game experience if there was a ranked three minute no undo option. That would just be sick. You'd have to commit to finishing the game right then and there. It'd be some weird StarCraft Kingdom rush hybrid.
Porphyr

Porphyr

I don't think that a strict no-undo adds value to the game, because that scouting aspect is only one purpose of the undo.
The others are strategizing, i.e. playing with various options before finally committing a satisfying one,
and of course reverting mistakes, wrong taps, stuff like that.

Before I learned how to undo, I lost so many games because I captured a stupid harbor with an engineer that I needed badly for healing my troops and so on.

Besides it is probably not as easy to implement as described above. There might be reasons for the phone flushing the application data, so the simple proposed check does not really differentiate between intentional reset (aka free undo) and something that "just happens".

So IMHO a much better solution would be one that preserves FOW while still allowing undo, e.g. by updating vision only upon committing the turn
Forum Index » New Feature Request