[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New Units and why IAP can/will be a bad idea!...
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

I agree that you guys should bring in a UX design person sometime. If you have the money, I suppose, although I think that with a few aesthetic improvements and a decent campaign/tutorial rework, the game could easily double its player base. I personally don't think that the game UI is unintuitive, but I do think that a little work on it could go a long way. There are plenty of people that are tired of the actual pay-to-win games (Clash of Clans, Game of War, Mobile Strike, the list goes on and on and on...) that would gladly come over to the Uniwar community if they knew how awesome it was. If new players were coddled a bit more and had some better guides and tutorials, there'd simply be more players.

You're probably going to want to make a new tutorial for the new units, so why not take some time to improve the old one as well?

As for IAP, it does seem that despite best efforts, if one side has new units and the other doesn't, people will have a negative experience. Even if the new units are balanced, it seems like any players that don't have them and are supposed to compete against them will perceive that they have a sizable disadvantage.
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

You have done a lot to improve the UI lately, I agree. Used to be you just had to attack to see how much damage you did.

As for teaching the game better...I don't know. Giving unicoins for completing the missions will help. You should give enough unicoins for all missions to allow players to buy unlimited undo. That's a huge feature to help players get better. You cannot see unlimited undo as an add-on, it is core to getting better. (yes some players who maybe are very talented at tactical games like chess or go can do very well without undo. But even they are better with undo.)

I also think that the experience for new players is too unstructured. Maybe you can automatically put them in new player tournaments? (With 24 hr time limit) Or something else that provides structure... It's just so hard to claw your way from 1500 to 1700 without any help. And putting chat privileges there makes it harder to get better.

What about a new player chat? Anyone can join but it's the only one for noobs? It'd be very spammy... But it's an idea.

Just some suggestions. I'll think more about UI, that is a complicated issue.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

@ Duns. Sadly I don't think Xavi gets 100% of what we spend. Sadly the 'store' takes it's cut. How much I don't know, but from personal experiance using Square for processing my credit card transactions on my phone when vending I loose roughy 3-4% in sales to fees. (also I gotta add to my costs vending booth space cost and housing/transportation) but you get the picture.

Xavi has server costs as well as other items that we, the general playing public does not always see. So factor those when guestimating numbers as well.

As to paying for new units from what I've read so far there will be both methods of earning unicoins as well as a slow roll out of new units. This will allow most players to both phase in the newer units and also (if crafty) get feedback from the early folks as to which are useful or not. Why by a lemon unless you need lemonaid?

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
nindatana

nindatana

xavi wrote:We would love to learn more about what you find non intuitive. Over the past months, we significantly simplify the UI (its far from being perfect) and it had positive effects on the new players. It is still a rough start and a complicated learning curve...

I remember confusion, attention being pulled away from my goal of the moment in order to attend to mechanics of saying yes-no-other to menus and dialog boxes. Unfortunately the details of which interactions caused frustration are hazy now. I've accumulated callouses and don't feel them anymore.

One fragment is clear though: there was something that made one move all the way to bottom left or right corners in order to yes/no, when the action was somewhere near the middle of screen. A lot of travel for a small thing, especially on a tablet.
Kohtar

Kohtar

I thought about this pricing mechanic, and I think that the way to maximize both the money for Xavi and players' enjoyement would be that buying new units also gives them to your opponent in every game, even if he didn't buy it.

You have several advantages with that:
- First, the games will always be balanced: no bad player experience.
- Some players will still buy the units because it enhances their player experience: a richer game, etc...
- Other players will sometimes have the new units for free, and can start to experiment with them. They have them for free, so they can only be grateful towards the game.
- These players then will want them on every game, not just now and then, and will buy them. Plus, as more and more people buy the units, a very important thing happen: it feels normal to buy the units (peer pressure)

Of course there would still be people who wouldn't pay, but, I think, fewer than in any other scenario. And the game would still feel very welcoming to new players, basically saying: you pay what and when you want, but also saying: There's a lot of work behind this, it has to be worth something.
Plus, I think that players don't want new units to win more games, but to enlarge their gaming experience: an unfair map is no fun, both for the winner and the loser. A match with unbalanced units would be exactly the same: having units while your opponent doesn't isn't improving your game experience at all...

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

Well said, Kohtar, I agree with you.
[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

Kohtar wrote:I thought about this pricing mechanic, and I think that the way to maximize both the money for Xavi and players' enjoyement would be that buying new units also gives them to your opponent in every game, even if he didn't buy it.

You have several advantages with that:
- First, the games will always be balanced: no bad player experience.
- Some players will still buy the units because it enhances their player experience: a richer game, etc...
- Other players will sometimes have the new units for free, and can start to experiment with them. They have them for free, so they can only be grateful towards the game.
- These players then will want them on every game, not just now and then, and will buy them. Plus, as more and more people buy the units, a very important thing happen: it feels normal to buy the units (peer pressure)

Of course there would still be people who wouldn't pay, but, I think, fewer than in any other scenario. And the game would still feel very welcoming to new players, basically saying: you pay what and when you want, but also saying: There's a lot of work behind this, it has to be worth something.
Plus, I think that players don't want new units to win more games, but to enlarge their gaming experience: an unfair map is no fun, both for the winner and the loser. A match with unbalanced units would be exactly the same: having units while your opponent doesn't isn't improving your game experience at all....

The only issue I see with this is if (hypothetically) a Sapien player buys only units for his own faction. Then this player would have an entire three units over his opponent and they wouldn't benefit if they were playing any other race.
A quick fix would be to have the new units purchased in small bundles. (1 unit for each race included in the same item.)

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

Corrin wrote:
The only issue I see with this is if (hypothetically) a Sapien player buys only units for his own faction. Then this player would have an entire three units over his opponent and they wouldn't benefit if they were playing any other race.
A quick fix would be to have the new units purchased in small bundles. (1 unit for each race included in the same item.)

^ This is true. And a good proposed solution, I might add. Especially if each new unit for a given race has pretty similar counterparts in the other races.
medricel

medricel

japhib wrote:This is true. And a good proposed solution, I might add. Especially if each new unit for a given race has pretty similar counterparts in the other races.

I would say unit packs would be essential if units held similar functions. Plys, I like the idea of buying units by class, rather than induvidually. That way, the bonus unit you buy applies to any race you play, even if a new race gets added.
I also agree that classes bought by one player should be usable by the opponent. A teaser, if you will.
Kohtar

Kohtar

I think if the new units are implemented that way, they should come in a single pack. Balancing both the "old" version and the "new" version of uniwar will be hard enough without having to balance every possible sub-pack.
join wang

join wang

I was going through the old tournaments when I saw one that mentioned something about mind snakes. The little bit of text also seem to suggest that they can control sapiens and titans do you guys think this would be a new unit?
Heres the link: http://www.uniwar.com/tournament.page?tournament=sneakysnakes
[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

join wang wrote:I was going through the old tournaments when I saw one that mentioned something about mind snakes. The little bit of text also seem to suggest that they can control sapiens and titans do you guys think this would be a new unit?
Heres the link: http://www.uniwar.com/tournament.page?tournament=sneakysnakes

That's an interesting idea, but I think it'd be more relevant in this thread.
Forum Index » General Discussion