[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Pay to win? Uniwars new business model
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Oh I wanted to say... games involving players who have accts newer than 1 month should get the units for free... OR not be able to have new units in their games ... or something .. like you said that could be demoralizing and really slow down player base growth
wolkenwand

wolkenwand

esmaperdut wrote:I think that the question about pay-to-win in the subject has already been addressed by the developers...
They have removed the screenshoot in the playstore (Android) that used to advertise that this was not a pay-to-win game.
As a player since 2011 that has spend 12€ on it, I am so sad to see THE game end like this.

Lol, you right it is removed now haha.
[Avatar]
SCV

[Avatar]
SCV

wolkenwand wrote:
  esmaperdut wrote:I think that the question about pay-to-win in the subject has already been addressed by the developers...
They have removed the screenshoot in the playstore (Android) that used to advertise that this was not a pay-to-win game.
As a player since 2011 that has spend 12€ on it, I am so sad to see THE game end like this.

Lol, you right it is removed now haha.

Better remove the "no pay to win" from the trailer, too.
[Avatar]
wumbodin

[Avatar]
wumbodin

Okay now im sad.

I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. It's first grade, dude
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

UniWarriors and UniLadies,
There is a lot of controversy about selling units or not. We know that many players are worried about balance and the risk of having the game become "Pay To Win".

Here is the official answer:
* Since 2009, we have maintained UniWar as a balanced and competitive game and we intend to keep it that way.
Players who didn't buy the units will still be able to use them in all RANKED & TOURNAMENT games in exchange of watching a video ad before building that unit. We have or will remove all marketing references saying "no pay to win" as we believe that everyone should make their own judgment .
* Our philosophy is to allow anyone to buy the new units over time without spending money through the reward system. Today, every turn played on time and every victory grant Uni-coins. We plan to add more rewards over time and starting in the next weeks.
* Today, the game is free. Improving a game and adding more content to it cost money. We need you. We need your support. If you like UniWar, the best way to support us is to contribute by buying something in shop. It might make a small difference but for us, it will make a major difference.

For a few more days, the NEW UNITS are on sale with 20% OFF until their release.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 18, 2016 02:41

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
San6g8

[Avatar]
San6g8

BEAUTIFUL solution!
esmaperdut

esmaperdut

Thanks Xavi! I like the final implementation.
[Avatar]
Angkor

[Avatar]
Angkor

xavi wrote:UniWarriors and UniLadies,
There is a lot of controversy about selling units or not. We know that many players are worried about balance and the risk of having the game become "Pay To Win".
Here is the official answer:
* Since 2009, we have maintained UniWar as a balanced and competitive game and we intend to keep it that way.
Players who didn't buy the units will still be able to use them in all RANKED & TOURNAMENT games in exchange of watching a video ad before building that unit. We have or will remove all marketing references saying "no pay to win" as we believe that everyone should make their own judgment.

Man I love you for that and I know I'm not the only one!
Do not remove the 'no pay to win' ads, it is the one of the game's biggest :thumbup, and as for now, when the units will be as just as possible, I think no one should complain about that issue anymore!

Viva la vida loca de Xavi the Emperor!
[Avatar]
earth

[Avatar]
earth

Xavi great to see the approach you have decided on the introduction of units and the balance addressed for tournies.

Really pleased to see the continued evolution Uniwar, especially the new features and enhancements including tiles.

It's important for people to realise that there no such thing as perfect balance, the tactics of using any race unit and tiles are all about trying to swing the balance in your favour, and fact you have the MIRROR Revenge capabilty addresses head on any really bad unbalanced scenarios.

Keep up the great work and thank you for moving the game enjoyment up a level from my personal perspective.

Cheers

Earth
ttdanimal

ttdanimal

I'm good with the overall approach. But my two cents is the new units are too expensive, given this is just release one of many.
[Avatar]
makman

[Avatar]
makman

Good solution! @earth: mirror games do not help as the opponent can choose another race than you had in the first match
[Avatar]
SCV

[Avatar]
SCV

ttdanimal wrote:I'm good with the overall approach. But my two cents is the new units are too expensive, given this is just release one of many.

I agree.
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

Xavi thanks for this approach. I hope that it works out, it is definitely not going to be pay to win if you just have to watch an ad to purchase the unit. I hope that you haven't taken my thread here as inappropriate criticism, it's just my perspective as a gamer and designer. Thank you so much for listening to the community's thoughts. I love Uniwar!
[Avatar]
volf

[Avatar]
volf

I have a possible solution but it would definitely bring a lot of changes to uniwar. The solution involves ranks/levels. Each new level unlocks a few new units. You can either grind them or buy them. If you have these new units you will (theoretically) beat players who dont allowing you to progress to next level unlocking more units for purchase when reached to new level.

The greatest thing about uniwar is the community. The latest and newest business model has welcomed many new players to uniwar. I think this is great and hope it continues. However, with all the new units and ads and iaps I am thinking that many new players just trying this game at will roll their eyes and delete the apps. Thus, giving them a short term goal to work for seems like it could work. Look at other successful games that use this short term goal/long time grind approach: Clash of Clans, World of Tanks/Warships. These games offer a grind that you can speed up with in app purchases.

Possible options
1. New players start at 1300. No new units. New units unlocked at 1500 1 per race. Every score increases by 150 unlocks new units for purchase. with 18 new units all units would be unlocked at a score of 2250. Even now, you are not usually considered a master of the game until at or even above this score. The problems with this model is that it could bring a lot of balance issues into play. However, if this issue could be resolved, this model certainly has promise.

2. This is an idea directly from world of tanks. This game is free to play but you have to grind to get to the next tank by gaining experience in your previous tank. Experience is gained by playing battles. More experience is gained by winning however you still gain some by merely showing up to the battlefield. How can this be implemented to uniwar? Lets say you toss the current rank system and introduce a totally new system. For example a new player at a score of 1650 would have a rank of private first class while a legendary player like unikz (what's his new name???) would be a 5 star general. Surely somebody can come up with a better naming system but you get the idea. In order to get to the next level, you have to obtain so much experience. Each new level unlocks new units which EVERY player with that rank has access to. To get to that next level quicker you could pay a fee for a premium account which supplies you with 2x the amount of experience per battle or perhaps buy access to new levels? I am not sure about
[Avatar]
volf

[Avatar]
volf

that last little bit but that can be discussed and such. World of tanks operates in this fashion. Perhaps this could be implemented? Your ranked games rank would transform to a rank within your league possibly? Example: you are a master sergeant and you have 500 experience. Of all master sergeants you are ranked number 5. Something could be feasible I think. The problem with this model is it is a total makeover of the rank system. Its better than the 1st as it allows players to play players with the same units. Other possible problems remain balance as each new level of units still needs to be balanced (however since the goal is to create a grind scenario this could even be overlooked). It favors players who play more games.

I do not know how teams would look. Maybe teams have levels and ranks too? Or just open all units for team games.

All units should be available in tournaments. This gives players a taste of how exciting it is at the top.

These ideas, if implemented, should hook newer players by giving them a short term goal. It wont make people feel like they have no chance against players with better units. Or at least they have a chance once they get that unit themselves.

Please let me know your thoughts about this post

Forum Index » General Discussion