[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New Map Tile Discussion - Tips and Tricks
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
EnnuiGoblin

[Avatar]
EnnuiGoblin

Hey everybody! Now that we've had a few weeks to get used to the new map tiles, I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to discuss thoughts and revelations about new tactics needed to play well with the new tiles. The same goes for map-making, new considerations have to be taken into account for balanced maps. A few of my thoughts so far...

- Road Tiles: My favorite addition so far. The -2/-2 penalty should always be kept in account, it's usually better to block a road path on a tile adjacent to the road, rather than on the road itself.
Map Making suggestions: If your map design has a long stretch of road, try to keep some trees or mountains along the side. This gives light ground the ability to use AoC and block sections of the road off (thus adding to overall map balance).
Khraleans: Air units take no penalty on roads, use this to your advantage against marauders and speeders that have more reach on roads than khral units. Also, on a straight highway, Wyrms have an attach reach of 6 spaces!
Titans: On maps with average to longer sized roads allow speeders a lot of range. This can especially be useful by opening new options for teleports; it can be safer to teleport mechas further if speeders can reach the 'port destinations.
Sapiens: Marauder reach on roads is ridiculous: So far I think marauders with tanks is the most powerful ground heavy combo on road maps. Push tanks out further, then use your marauders to attack and retreat behind tanks.

Check out my Youtube channel "EnnuiGoblin Games" to watch coverage of Uniwar Tournaments, strategy tactics, and livestream events.

Youtube: www.youtube.com/c/EnnuiGoblinGames

Twitter: @EnnuiGoblin
[Email]
[Avatar]
EnnuiGoblin

[Avatar]
EnnuiGoblin

- City Tiles: A common mistake I've seen a lot of 1500-1900 level players so far is to give too much priority to cities. Controlling a city is a situational decision. As a general rule of thumb, Only contol a city you think you can keep, or you need the extra income next turn for a specific reason. Units on cities make good targets, as cities carry a hefty penalty to attack and defense. Remember, ground heavy units get a steeper penalty than ground light (-3/-3 vs -2/-2).
Map Making suggestions: Too many cities tend to favor khral players due to underling's 11 movement. Cities far from starting point tend to favor titan teleports, especially on team maps.
Khraleans: Underlings have more intrinsic value than other ground lights on a map with cities. Use their movement to your advantage.
Titans: Early ports to distant cities can be a good way to gain an early advantage.
Sapiens: Marauders are especially useful for sniping enemy units that control a city tile. Additionally, using an early game marauder to reach cities first can get you an early credit advantage.

Check out my Youtube channel "EnnuiGoblin Games" to watch coverage of Uniwar Tournaments, strategy tactics, and livestream events.

Youtube: www.youtube.com/c/EnnuiGoblinGames

Twitter: @EnnuiGoblin
[Email]
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I've been thinking this for a while but haven't got round to posting.

I think the cities are too heavily punished to make them useful. In my experience so far cities only seem to help finish a game more quickly. It is almost impossible to have a city when there is even a small chance of an attack.

I would recommend that ground light get a +1 (or even +2) to defence from a city rather than -2. Attack staying at -2 or even increasing to -3.

Currently the small amount of extra credits is not worth the damage risk and movement cost, so most cities are just ignored.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Great post!

My experience so far.

Its harder for titans with new tiles because of movement and no fliers - especially cities wich they use so many moves to get to. I think there would be need of some balance adjustments favouring titans, but we will see during and after deployment of the new units (18 ).

Cities are great, but they need to be put in positions where both players can reach them. Protected cities behind strong defenses of normal bases is pointless in my opinoin.
Roads/bridges are also very good addition - for titan and sap more than khral .. wich have fewer GH units.
Chasm is good, but have to be used right to be relevant.. just not "throw it out" to get to use it...
The ocean and reef tiles are very good, but i think they will be so much more useful when the new aquatic and amphibious units come out

here is an example of good use of cities and chasms : [link://1,46860,Braxis Island,1,2]

@Xavi: would be cool to post links of maps here that would show the actual map

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 23, 2016 10:11

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Kylor

Kylor

I agree with wookieontheweb. Cities should be good defense for infantry (think house-to-house fighting) with lots of cover. Narrow streets should limit movement for all pieces. Streets surrounded by buildings should make it a nightmare for armored units.

Kylor
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

I think that it makes more sense to consider these city tiles as a resource that is being extracted by the unit. Instead of taking advantage of the terrain for defense, the infantry is busy pillaging. That's why you gain extra credits per turn, and that's why they have lower stats on the city tile.
Forum Index » General Discussion