[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
FYI - I'm working on a UniWar-like game for PC
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Hey there! Some of you may remember me from back in 2012 when I was active on this forum. You'll find me on the first page of several stickied posts. So it goes without saying that I'm a big fan of UniWar.

What I'm not so big a fan of is some of the dev's decisions, namely not porting the game to PC and giving the game microtransation units. So as a budding game developer myself, I've begun work on a UniWar-like game designed for PC from the ground up. Theoretically, it would be able to run on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, UWP, and HTML5.

Don't get me wrong, this will not be a straight UniWar clone. For one thing, I can't use the original assets; that would be copyright infringement. And while theoretically I could get away with making a game that's identical except for the paint job, I'm not. What I am doing is making a game that duplicates a lot of UniWar's mechanics and changes others. It will have a different setting, a different scheme for ranged gangup, and different units, including at least 3 units that have area attacks. This will add another game to the genre which UniWar falls into, which I feel needs expansion.

If I could get it, I would love to have some feedback from you, the UniWar community, during the development of my new game. I don't plan on posting any more about it on this forum (I don't think that would be very welcome). Instead, I'll post updates on this game on The Interguild (http://www.interguild.org), a fan community originally created for Hannah and the Pirate Caves, since they're already familiar with me from my work on Hannah and the Pirate Caves Reborn. Additionally, I'll set up a Discord server specifically for this new game's development (Invite link: https://discord.gg/4Hc6PUx). The working title is "Hexgame", but I know that won't be the final title.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05, 2017 22:57

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Hello!

Sounds like an interesting project

You know that uniwar plays very well in a chrome browser window with the arc-welder plugin? And that the PC version might still be done at a later time ?

Anyway, i wish you luck - i will be interested in trying it out when that is possible

You will not be able to advertise here or in the game chat, due to the terms of service.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

simsverd wrote:Hello!

Sounds like an interesting project

You know that uniwar plays very well in a chrome browser window with the arc-welder plugin? And that the PC version might still be done at a later time ?

Anyway, i wish you luck - i will be interested in trying it out when that is possible

You will not be able to advertise here or in the game chat, due to the terms of service.

Wish me good luck too, I'm planning on making a game of the same genre, but has more RPG elements to it as well (think of Fire Emblem, but with different mechanics and setting), I have them saved on my google sheets

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06, 2017 09:21

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
Goddestroyer

Goddestroyer

Exciting. .I'm going to keep checking on it
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Mister droid,

I feel that I would be able to receive your letter more positively if you did not include a statement on how Uniwar has disappointed you. You also seem to suggest that you Have decided to create a game because of this disappointment... which makes it hard for me to want to support your endeavor as well.

I hope you will consider editing your original post to make it more about what it should be about: your game, the real reason you want to make it (hopefully the reason isn't simply 'angry because Uniwar micro transactions'), and you've already got how the community here can help...

Okay, moving on....
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

"You know that uniwar plays very well in a chrome browser window with the arc-welder plugin? And that the PC version might still be done at a later time ? "

I haven't tried UniWar specifically on arc welder, but I haven't been a big fan of arc welder when I have tried it. And while I have played UniWar on PC using bluestacks, it still doesn't work very well. Furthermore, when I get my friends into UniWar, they don't want to have to download a 3rd party android emulator just be able to run it.

And while UniWar might make a PC version at some point, a Facebook version was promised almost 7 years ago, and no updates on that have been made since. Source: http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/665.page

"I feel that I would be able to receive your letter more positively if you did not include a statement on how Uniwar has disappointed you."

It's not that that UniWar had disappointed me, per se, it's that UniWar's dev team has disappointed me. I still very much believe in UniWar as a game, I'm just not a fan of the decision to implement microtransation units and the decision to leave the game exclusive to a platform I don't really use. It seems like the dev is more concerned about his income than about making a good game and making that game available to everyone who wants to play it.

But really, the reason why I'm making this game is because I feel a desire to play a UniWar-type game but I feel like UniWar currently doesn't fit the bill. It's not on my platform of choice, it doesn't have a business model I believe in, and there's no way I'd be able to convince my friends to download an android emulator *and* buy the microtransation units. It's not that I'm angry, just... well, disappointed. UniWar is like the kid that I was so proud of back in 2012, but when it grew up and I was no longer proud of what it had become.

So I'd be lying if I said UniWar's development (and lack thereof) since 2012 wasn't a major factor in me making this game. If UniWar were still pay-to-play and had been ported to PC, I probably wouldn't be working on "hexgame" right now, instead I'd be trying to convince my friends to buy UniWar or buying it for them. But that's not what happened, so I'm left with a distinct lack of tactics-based hex-based TBS games on PC and a desire to fill that gap.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Duaneski wrote:Mister droid,

I feel that I would be able to receive your letter more positively if you did not include a statement on how Uniwar has disappointed you. You also seem to suggest that you Have decided to create a game because of this disappointment... which makes it hard for me to want to support your endeavor as well.

I hope you will consider editing your original post to make it more about what it should be about: your game, the real reason you want to make it (hopefully the reason isn't simply 'angry because Uniwar micro transactions'), and you've already got how the community here can help...

Okay, moving on....

Uniwar has never disappointed us

All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

droidfreak36 wrote:
And while UniWar might make a PC version at some point, a Facebook version was promised almost 7 years ago, and no updates on that have been made since. Source: http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/665.page

Plans change. You are dissapointed by something that was planned 7 years ago but no longer in the plans ahead?
Remember that uniwar development team is actually only Xavier... He can only do so much.. and he has to prioritize what would be features and what is the most viable busines model. Uniwar is a niche game and neither flat payment for the game or an all advertising model work - it has been tried.

I really wish you luck.. but i also tend to agree with Duaneski ... that making a post containing your negative feelings about certain parts of uniwar - on the uniwar forum - promoting your future competing game ...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

simsverd wrote:
  droidfreak36 wrote:

Plans change. You are dissapointed by something that was planned 7 years ago but no longer in the plans ahead?
Remember that uniwar development team is actually only Xavier... He can only do so much.. and he has to prioritize what would be features and what is the most viable busines model. Uniwar is a niche game and neither flat payment for the game or an all advertising model work - it has been tried.

I really wish you luck.. but i also tend to agree with Duaneski ... that making a post containing your negative feelings about certain parts of uniwar - on the uniwar forum - promoting your future competing game ...

If we do happen to make our games, we could put an ad for this, that way we can make uniwar more recognizable

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

No, not really. I hate Facebook. But what I am disappointed by is the way UniWar has remained exclusive to iOS and Android.

Well, let's just say that my motivations are different than Xavier's. It seems like his priority at this point is recuperate the time & money spent on UniWar development by trying out every monetization scheme under the sun without spending much more time & money on developing the game. For me, on the other hand, my expected ROI for my previous (still in progress) game project is a big fat zero. I'm not in it for the money, I just like great games. If Xavier really wanted to, I'm sure he could have ported UniWar to PC by now. But there wasn't enough profit in it to motivate him, I guess. So it's fallen to someone who doesn't care about profit instead.

I really didn't intend to be negative, I just like to explain my motivations. And I'm not really promoting my game, there will be time for that when I actually have a game to speak of. What I'm doing now looking for people who might be interested in giving me feedback during development. The sort of people who actually have an opinion on how a game like this should be run. What better place to find those people than here?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07, 2017 04:15

[WWW]
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

droidfreak36 wrote:
I really didn't intend to be negative, I just like to explain my motivations. And I'm not really promoting my game, there will be time for that when I actually have a game to speak of. What I'm doing now looking for people who might be interested in giving me feedback during development. The sort of people who actually have an opinion on how a game like this should be run. What better place to find those people than here?

We know you weren't, let's just try to support this game through some means if we ever get to make our games.

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

We know you weren't, let's just try to support this game through some means if we ever get to make our games.

Yes, I'll be sure to mention that UniWar was the inspiration for a lot of my mechanics. And I did buy UniWar back when it was pay-to-play.

[WWW]
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

droidfreak36 wrote:

Yes, I'll be sure to mention that UniWar was the inspiration for a lot of my mechanics. And I did buy UniWar back when it was pay-to-play.

same, quite a nostalgia

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

FYI, the game I'm working on now has a real name (Ground) and a few planned mechanics that will clearly differentiate it from UniWar. More of a UniWar/Scrolls/Risk hybrid. Full info here: http://www.interguild.org/members/forums/topic.php?id=69473&page_number=1&viewpost=1489063462#1489063462

[WWW]
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

droidfreak36 wrote:FYI, the game I'm working on now has a real name (Ground) and a few planned mechanics that will clearly differentiate it from UniWar. More of a UniWar/Scrolls/Risk hybrid. Full info here:

your link's still giving duplicate entries

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Mar 09, 2017 22:10

Forum Index » General Discussion