[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Map ranking system revamp
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Maneetoe

[Avatar]
Maneetoe

Hey all!

So, been trying to figure out a good way to change the map voting/ranked map system to prevent massive downvoting as revenge for perceived slights in chat, doing it just to troll, etc.

As it stands right now, the voting system is a free-for-all - anyone can vote on any map if their ranked score is above 1500, adding one vote per 100 ranking score (1600 gets 2 votes, 1700 gets 3, etc.)

I'm proposing the system outlined below.

First, separate public votes not derived from ranked game play from votes from anyone at anytime. Votes made outside of the end of a ranked game go towards a "popularity" vote count that has no effect on if a map is in ranked play or not.

Allow for submission of maps to ranked pool, but with the stipulation that they must undergo testing prior to being added to the pool. Volunteers can play for a nominal reward (5 unicoins per game played), and the game must be played to at least 7 rounds (or possibly to completion to ensure proper testing?). Volunteers must apply to be in the volunteer program, and must be approved by moderators/admin (to prevent abuse) before being able to join the volunteer program. I'm thinking 5 test games per map, and at least 50% (3 positive votes) in order to be added to ranked.

This brings it to the second half - mandating map votes after a ranked game is completed. After every ranked game that lasted at least 7 rounds, players must vote the map up or down after completion. This ensures that a map remaining in ranked depends on votes only from players who actually played the map, rather than a popularity contest. It also removes multi-account down-voting.

If a maps ranked game voting ratio goes to 25% more downvotes than upvotes, then the map is removed from ranked play. This replaces the current ratio due to the mandated voting after ranked matches complete - if the winner upvotes and the loser downvotes, votes remain even (assuming same score), but if both upvote or both downvote, it should weed out maps that are bad, and keep maps that are good from being removed by inexperienced players or revenge votes.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

A system of volunteers seems like a nice idea.. but it would be very impractical (not scalable)... there are tens of thousands of maps.. and new being created each day.
System has to be automatic to be scalable.
I agree that it could be tweaked, but there are way easier solutions...
- give mods *100 power to be able to remove or promote maps that have been unfairly recieved
- make positive votes from losing player and negative vote from winning player count double
- only high level players 2000 can vote on maps they have not played

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I have tried to raise this issue too and it didn't get very far.

I like the double up/down for losing/winning idea.

I did think a pay option to allow you to receive a PM when your map is down voted would be nice. Though may encourage conflict between players and creators.

3 voting options. Add unbalanced to up/down. Then you could get an anonymous email saying "<Your Map> playing KvT is unbalanced. K as player 1 lost". This could help you understand when 1 of the 9 match-ups in 1v1 is unbalanced when all the others seem fine and also distinguish between "I don't like it" and "It's not fair". Both down and unbalanced give 1 down vote.

Lastly I think the rated status of a map should be at least equal down vs up, but I raised that before and few seemed interested.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
Maneetoe

[Avatar]
Maneetoe

simsverd wrote:A system of volunteers seems like a nice idea.. but it would be very impractical (not scalable)... there are tens of thousands of maps.. and new being created each day.
System has to be automatic to be scalable.
I agree that it could be tweaked, but there are way easier solutions...
- give mods *100 power to be able to remove or promote maps that have been unfairly recieved
- make positive votes from losing player and negative vote from winning player count double
- only high level players 2000 can vote on maps they have not played

I like the idea of double vote count for opposite votes vs win/lose status, but I think anyone who plays a map should be required to vote, and no one who hasn't played a map should be allowed to vote, even if highly ranked. I've had plenty of highly ranked individuals tell me my maps are unbalanced until they played them, only to find that the map actually was balanced just fine.

I understand that new maps are being made every day, but not all of them are submitted to ranked. Maybe remove the cost for uploading maps, and instead male that cost be for submitting to ranked pool. This would allow players to create unranked maps freely, while restricting ranked maps to players who are willing to put skin in the game, as it were.

As far as scalability goes, if players were mildly reimbursed, I think you could find plenty of volunteers. Once volunteers were selected by mod staff, the process could be made automatic and very simple.

In any case, the current system is very broken. Votes also need to be reset overall to clear out old maps that can't be voted down because they have extra votes from before the voting system changed from per game played to per player.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

You can't force people to vote, that will just annoy them.

People are most likely not to vote (at least 80%) next they are more likely to down vote than up. That means there is an imbalance in favour of down voting maps. We can even out the imbalance if we count a proportion of the number of times a map is played to the up vote count.

Not sure what that proportion should be though, my first guess would be about 20%

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
LexTalionis

LexTalionis

1. Make voting mandatory after every RANKED play lasting longer than 7 rounds.

2. Losing player upvotes and winning player downvotes are worth double (meaning bad maps get voted out, good maps stay in)

3. Reset vote counts across the board to clear out old maps with old voting system votes that have become imbalanced with new units, or that are truly just poorly designed and can't be removed via the current voting system.

Seems like common sense ideas to me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 17, 2017 18:30

Forum Index » New Feature Request