[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
REQ: Can we have a poll about skip turns?
Forum Index » New Feature Request
dragoon

dragoon

Can we have a poll to see who would like to get rid of skipping player turns?

I personally see no use for it and it's annoying to have to play all the way through with all the dropouts you get in this game

I'm just surrendering now so I can open the slots again and it's really killing my ratings

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 19, 2009 21:13

lion37

lion37

Please! Please! Cancel the skip turn, or just make it optional.
I am in a game where an especially annoying player is forcing us to skip 1 turn, then comes back, then makes us skip another turn. Its taking forever....
Anonymous

Anonymous
at the least Anonymous players should just get kicked if they miss a turn...
Anonymous

Anonymous
... and replaced by a bot?
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

Maybe there is no perfect alternative, but I still prefer skipping over instant kicking.

I just had a game where due to the underling server bug I couldn't finish my turn. Even though I announced it in chat there was one player who thought it was necessary to skip me. Fortunately it did not lead to a mayor disadvantage and it seems our team is winning the game. But if I had been kicked due to this server bug I would have probably left the game for good! Or at least for a week... or a day

There are also "life bugs" that can restrain you from playing every 12 hours, so I'm glad there is skipping, but I also see your point in annoying skip-turn-skip players. But I suppose such a game won't last long anyway?
lion37

lion37

When you sign up to play a multi-player game - thats a commitement to play which you are expected to honor.
The 12 hour or 24 hour time limit is just the maximum time between turns, in general you should try to play faster.
If you are not sure you can play in the time limit then just dont sign up. Period.

Keeping 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 other people waiting the full time limit and forcing them to skip you is just plain rude.
I have also noticed an obvious trend for many players to play slower if they start to lose - almost as if thats the way they are taking revenge on the winning players.

If you miss your turn and time out - it should be up to the other players to decide if they want to skip you or kick you. There is a good chance that you just ruined the game for everyone and caused your team to lose by not playing, so the last thing you deserve is a reward for not playing.

Needs to go in 2-player matches. Must go. Please get rid of it. Today. Those ten anonymous guys I stupidly started 1-day games with aren't coming back and I'm going to be skipping them until Wednesday. I have yet to see a single case where I skip someone and they come back to finish the game. It's always them %#^ making four moves and then disappearing forever. Don't even get me started with random games, which are 3 days in length and seem to have a 75% dropout rate. That's 9 days before you can kick someone if they decide to quit 4 turns in.

For 4 or 8 player games, I can see a case for "skip player". Maybe it could remain in the big matches and return "kick player" to the duels. Frankly I'd err on the side of "kicking" because in most cases they aren't coming back, and anyway much of the time if you skip a single turn in this game you're going to be so far behind you may as well surrender.

There's absolutely no need for it in the 2 player games though. None. If you're going to take time to finish a turn use chat and alert the other player(s). If they're cool they'll wait for you, no need to skip. If some unforeseen emergency comes up in real life then maybe you should deal with that and take a 10 point ratings hit and forfeit the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20, 2009 12:22

lion37

lion37

In well over half of my multi-player games (both team and free-for-all) the game outcome is not determined by skill or even by luck. Its simply determined by which players ditch in the middle. If 1 or 2 of your team mates skips out, you have almost zero chance of winning. In a free-for-all game, if the player right next to you just skipped out and you rush in and take all his bases - well guess who is going to win the game.

I dont see why players that ditch in the middle of the game (thus ruining the game for everyone) AND dont even have the minimal common curtesy to surrender should get a second chance to come back. If anything, skipping should severely lower your rating in the game. Players that skip too often should have their accounts canceled.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20, 2009 12:47

lion37

lion37

I am currently playing a free-for-all war in FullPlanet.
The player next to me does not play his turn and gets skipped.
I assume that he is out of the game and move my forces somewhere else and redeploy.
Next turn he comes back into the game and launches a full attack on my forces that are now out of position.

Does this seem fair to you?

I consider this almost as bad as cheating. Not only did that player make 7 other player wait 24 hours for him so that we could skip him, now he comes back and gets a bonus for his bad behaviour.

Please! Please! Cancel the skip turns or make it optional.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Go ahead and create a poll!
rolando

rolando

lion37 wrote: I am currently playing a free-for-all war in FullPlanet.
The player next to me does not play his turn and gets skipped.
I assume that he is out of the game and move my forces somewhere else and redeploy.
Next turn he comes back into the game and launches a full attack on my forces that are now out of position.

Does this seem fair to you?

I consider this almost as bad as cheating. Not only did that player make 7 other player wait 24 hours for him so that we could skip him, now he comes back and gets a bonus for his bad behaviour.

Please! Please! Cancel the skip turns or make it optional.

Not to sound rude, but in terms of game play there is no difference between a player ending their turn making no movements (just auto repair) and a player getting skipped (which is no movement with auto-repair). The difference is psychological; the mistake was in the assumption. Personally I do not see it as unfair because I do not know whether that player purposefully waited for the time to run out in order to be skipped or if he/she was not available in time to take their turn.

I have been skipped before due to being late on a turn. A couple times I have been late, but the players were courteous enough to wait. Some players do have other priorities, like work, and can sometimes miss their turns, even if UniWar is conveniently available on their iPhones/iPods. Time is spent on thinking what moves to make and that can sometimes take more than a few minutes.

The purpose of the Skip was in response to players having the problem with others abusing the Kick option. Some examples:
1) Player A is dominating Player B and Player B tries to take his/her turn while Player A is not available, waits for the time to run out and kicks Player A. Some players were even forced to kick the other player just because they are afraid of getting kicked themselves when they are not available.
2) In a team game, a player in Team 1 is late on a turn and gets kicked by a player in Team 2, Team 1 is now handicapped. Players tried to get the upperhand by kicking a player on the opposite team as soon as their time ran out.

Some people prefer the Skip feature, some don't. But set up a poll so we can all get an idea on the overall feeling.

In battle, it's not over until it's over.
dragoon

dragoon

I'll start one I guess if no one else runs with it.

I'm not opposed to the idea of it in team games or short matches but it's harsh on long term 2 player games since it's not hard to tell when someone has given up and isn't coming back. Often it's when it looks like they're losing. Sometimes they just make a few moves and disappear.

I don't even know what the terms of the poll should be though since there is some middle ground and I don't know much about team matches, All I know is it's not fun skipping someone in 2 player matches who left because they're losing or lost interest and when you're in the 1400-1600 rank this happens an awful lot.
[Avatar]
aLoN

[Avatar]
aLoN

skipp turn option is needed, thanks to the daves for it.

lion37

lion37

rolando wrote:
Not to sound rude, but in terms of game play there is no difference between a player ending their turn making no movements (just auto repair) and a player getting skipped (which is no movement with auto-repair). The difference is psychological; the mistake was in the assumption. Personally I do not see it as unfair because I do not know whether that player purposefully waited for the time to run out in order to be skipped or if he/she was not available in time to take their turn.

There is a big difference between being skipped and just not moving. If you dont move but are still in the game, that means you are still defending your bases and will put up a fight. When a player is skipped, there is a 90% chance he is never coming back. Now there is a mad scramble by all the other players to take his bases. You have to scramble because if you dont and the other players get the bases from the skipped player, you will lose. So everyone scrambles.

rolando wrote:
I have been skipped before due to being late on a turn. A couple times I have been late, but the players were courteous enough to wait. Some players do have other priorities, like work, and can sometimes miss their turns, even if UniWar is conveniently available on their iPhones/iPods. Time is spent on thinking what moves to make and that can sometimes take more than a few minutes.

If a player is going to be late, all he has to do is write a short message: "sorry, need a few more hours to play my turn". I would never skip someone that wrote that and I dont think other players would either. But if someone writes nothing and just does not show up, yes, I will give him a few extra hours and then I will skip him every single time and he will no longer be welcome in my games.

rolando wrote:
The purpose of the Skip was in response to players having the problem with others abusing the Kick option.

When someone signs up for a game, they should play the game or they should surrender. Or at least ask for more time if they need it. The "abuse" here is from the players making everyone wait 24 hours just to go on playing a game that they just ruined.
Forum Index » New Feature Request