[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Random attack factors are very annoying and dont work right
Forum Index » Bug Reports
GameShaman

GameShaman

Currently the randomness is per turn, rather than per attack. This can greatly hurt/help you on a given turn. They have recently been made aware of this and I assume we will see the fix in the next release.

RTS/TBS war/fighting games have always had a random factor and I believe it is needed.
[Yahoo!] [ICQ]
five.rockets

five.rockets

I agree with GameShaman.

I like some randomness in combat. Although listed as a "strategy" game, Uniwar is also a "wargame". Which means that there should be some element of randomness in the results. If there weren't, then we would have chess, or worse - rock, paper, scissors.
I like chess, but I wanted to play a wargame. Which means that if my attack factors are roughly equal to the other guy's defense factors, I have a roughly even chance of winning. If I take the time and effort to get more attack factors/units involved, then the odds should swing in my favor.
There will be times when a lone marine will hold off 2 attacking mauraders, that is life. That's why you develop a good strategy, and have a back-up plan for when things go wrong.
I hope that Uniwar remains a wargame that incorporates randomness.
lion37

lion37

It seems like some of the players like to have random factors in the game while others dont.
I dont think there is a right or wrong answer.
Its just a matter of personal taste.

Here is why I dont like to have them:
Most of my games are decided by a few key moves/ attacks.
In many cases the entire game comes down to being able to capture a base or being able to kill a capturing unit.
Or maybe the entirr game depends on your buried underling being able to kill a walker, etc.

Because there are usually only a few (maybe just 1) key event, that means that the luck will not average out.
How good would you feel winning a game just because you got lucky?
How bad would you feel losing a game just because you got unlucky?

I would much rather have this be a strategy game where skill and team work alone detemine who wins.
This is not risk where you have 30 soldiers attacking 20 soldiers and the luck averages out.

In addition, the random attack factors are inherently open to abuse by hackers as I have explained before.
I will not explain how to do it, but there is a very simple way (that works right now, I tested it) to know in advance exactly how your attacks will work out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14, 2009 21:05

Anonymous

Anonymous
Are the devs going to fix this in the next update?
sounds like a big problem.
Anonymous

Anonymous
sounds like v1.0.5 was submitted today, so maybe they fixed it. although it's probably a server-side fix and not in the app itself. either way, it would be nice to get an update on this.
rolando

rolando

The change was done on the client. The random algorithm was improved to fix this.

Due to this change we will be requesting everyone update to the next version once it is released so that everyone is playing with the same "luck".
Forum Index » Bug Reports