[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
It's time we give Uniwar veterans the respect they are due!!
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Evad

Evad

Hey all! I don't use the forums very often and almost never post, but this is a topic that has been on my mind for quite sometime. Please forgive me and/or point me in the right direction if this topic has been covered in the past.

Playing a game with a teammate of mine earlier today, we got into a brief discussion about veterans and I started to vent my thoughts about the potential value of veterans and the possibilities of a few minor tweaks. Personally, I feel Uniwar veterans are quite undervalued and veteran status seems to be rarely acquired and/or taken advantage of.

My thoughts on acquiring veterancy are as follows. Perhaps once a veteran status is achieved for any unit, the player who controls this unit could be given a choice of a few different options that can upgrade that unit. Maybe there could be 3-4 different upgrades available to that unit upon achieving first tier veterancy. I think the current boost in veteran maximum strength/health (from 10-11) should be a standard part of the veterancy achievement. But personally I think one extra boost in another stat would be an awesome extra for this game and give it much more possibility. A list of possible upgrades could be suggested and decided upon by players in the forums or the moderators or whoever. Say for example, a veteran unit could have the ability to spontaneously regenerate its health. This health could regenerate whatever the unit decides to do, including attacking. This would differentiate it from the normal act of any unit having to remain inactive to reheal. Perhaps other upgrades could be an extra strong defense, or giving a unit a capability that it currently does not have, like giving a tank the ability to attack aerial units.
A double veteran could be given an additional upgrade to the one it first chooses, thus giving it the use of two unique upgrades in addition to its maximum 12 health norm.

Of course, I realize that if such upgrades for veterans were added to the game, it would make veterans even more of a target than they already are, but I also think it could add more interest to the game, including increasing strategic options available. This also makes a veteran mutant even that much more powerful as well.

I would love to hear other players' opinions on this matter. Of course I'd also like to hear any negatives of adding such a modification, including if it winds up making the game too complicated. Let me know what you all think!
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/2932.page#21511

It has been considered before. I think the simplest option would be Veterancy 1 gives you +1 health as well as increasing your max health. Vet 2 gives +2. They would stand more chance of surviving so you'd see more on the battle field.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
The Impaler

The Impaler

I thought you were talking about the OG's like GOUT, vet's of the game. Might wanna clarify that title

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
Evad

Evad

The Impaler wrote:I thought you were talking about the OG's like GOUT, vet's of the game. Might wanna clarify that title

I know right? Damn click-baiters!
Evad

Evad

wookieontheweb wrote:http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/2932.page#21511

It has been considered before. I think the simplest option would be Veterancy 1 gives you +1 health as well as increasing your max health. Vet 2 gives +2. They would stand more chance of surviving so you'd see more on the battle field.

I realize sometimes simpler is better, but I am one who would vote to see an enhanced veteran system. Maybe I can post a poll about who would be up for it?
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

veteran units can have 11 or 12 hitpoints.. and they add 1 or 2 to the dammage formula.. wich is quite a big deal.
I think veteran units are fine as they are, but perhaps they should be autohealed to max when they achieved veterancy?

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Evad

Evad

simsverd wrote:veteran units can have 11 or 12 hitpoints.. and they add 1 or 2 to the dammage formula.. wich is quite a big deal.
I think veteran units are fine as they are, but perhaps they should be autohealed to max when they achieved veterancy?

Simsverd you are quite a hard bargainer! But I know you carry much clout in the UW community and can get stuff done. If we can do ANYTHING to help improve the lives, health, and longevity of our beloved uniwar veterans, it would be an immense help to the game and playability!

While I realize customizing upgrades for vets could be a programmers nightmare, perhaps the simplest and most effective solution is best. Simsverd's suggestion of boosting all newly minted veterans health to their new max would be an awesome improvement! This would help alleviate the gripe from several other players I've seen posting on the forum about how veteran upgrades really don't matter to Guardian units. This veteran health boost could almost make that a moot point for guardians, since it now gives them a their only chance ever to heal and be at full strength again.
My only question would be if veterans got the health boost at both tiers one and two?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 12, 2017 18:03

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

you have to consider that uniwar is a niche game and already way more complex than most mobile games...
adding complexity must have very big value.. because to complex will turn many users away... so its not really a question if the feature is good or cool.. but rather if it adds value to the "general population" - and not mostly to the "hard core group" of players...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Pento

Pento

simsverd wrote:veteran units can have 11 or 12 hitpoints.. and they add 1 or 2 to the dammage formula.. wich is quite a big deal.

I think the system right now is fine.
And I don't like the idea of an autohealing after achieving veterancy.
Imagine someone plays it's copter nearly to death (2hp) and then gets veterancy because of killing an halfdead underling.
And afterwards copter is like new with 11hp?!
No way! that's like a creditbonus of 450c. Too much.
Especially on small maps where you fight for every little 50c advantage to gain control.

Perhaps health +2 or +3 for reaching veterancy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13, 2017 06:37

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Pento wrote:

I think the system right now is fine.
And I don't like the idea of an autohealing after achieving veterancy.
Imagine someone plays it's copter nearly to death (2hp) and then gets veterancy because of killing an halfdead underling.
And afterwards copter is like new with 11hp?!
No way! that's like a creditbonus of 450c. Too much.
Especially on small maps where you fight for every little 50c advantage to gain control.

Perhaps health +2 or +3 for reaching veterancy.

The point is you get the +1 or +2 hp that the veterancy gives you. I agree total heal would be far too much. So in your case the 2hp copter would kill the 1hp underling gaining veteran level 1 and would get +1 hp ending on 3hp. Instead the 10hp battleship killing the same underling gaining veterancy would be on 11hp. This would also help show new players what the veternacy is doing for them, many probably don't realise what the little military symbols are about and so never heal their veteran units so never see that they have a new maximum.

I wonder should veterancy always be +1hp to reduce the impact this change would have i.e. if I have a walker that becomes veteran without taking damage (quite common) then on reaching vet 1 I get auto bumped to 11hp, on vet 2 I only need to get +1 to be on 12hp.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Evad

Evad

Wookiee I don't understand your last question. You were contemplating a 1hp bump in health upon acquiring vet status at each level, yes? I think this minor health boost is a good idea. I don't think this healthboist is currently given to new vets. All they get is the attack boost and potential to get health to 11 or 12.
Also I agree and full health bump is just too much. The ship units would surely benefit the most. Maybe achieving veterancy could increase health the same amount as a healing hex, so 3 health. This can help breathe new life into units like Guardians, who otherwise have NO chance of health increase.
That is all...
trineroks

trineroks

The thing with veterancy is that it rarely ever makes an appearance in games, because of how hard it is to obtain veterancy.

I've said this before - I believe the veterancy system should award experience points based on damage dealt, rather than kills.

As it stands, veterancy is awarded as (Price of unit killed) * (Health before destruction/10). Veterancy should instead be awarded by ( (Price of unit attacked) * (Damage dealt/10) ) / 2. We divide this by 2 to prevent veterancy from accumulating too quickly.

So using this new formula, a marine attacks an underling for 5 damage, and underling damages the marine back for 4 damage. The marine will gain (100 * 5/10)/2 = 50/2 = 25 experience. The underling will gain (100 * 4/10)/2 = 40/2 = 20 experience. Then we'd be seeing more veterans on the board.
Forum Index » New Feature Request