[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
"Undo" Needs to be Gone
Forum Index » General Discussion
Xtynct

Xtynct

Infinite Undo allows me to make a perfect attack or defense given the units I have, but does that equate to FUN? I don't think so. And when I have infinite undo, but my adversary does not, the whole game is much less of a challenge and therefore much less fun. And you'll never convince me that everyone has infinite undo - that's not true.

And once I move a unit forward, if I have infinite undo, I can see which units my adversary has built and where they are positioned. I can run multiple scenarios and see everything. That makes fog of war TOTALLY useless and it transforms me into a strategic military genius. Without mistakes the game is not as fun.

"Undo" needs to be done away with.
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

This has already been argued to death numerous times. Love it or hate it, turn undo isn't going anywhere.

You can review some of the views in this thread:

http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/2220.page
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Xtynct wrote:Without mistakes the game is not as fun.

Mistakes ruin an otherwise fun match, even worse than being skipped. Mistakes are only fun for your opponent.

Finding the perfect set of attacks to make best use of the RNG to make an important kill is satisfying.

FOW is not totally ruined. you can only see as far as your units can move. There are still plenty of areas on most maps that are in the dark and cannot be revealed, especially for the first few moves.

Undo is available to all either via ad, or by purchase of n undo's or infinite undo (both of the latter can be bought for free by just playing the game and receiving your Unicoin rewards)

Could undo be done better, probably. Would it make more new people want to continue playing the game if it were removed, I very much doubt it.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
The Impaler

The Impaler

i get annoyed by it too, but its not quite as bad as you think when inititally getting used to it. when it comes to esports, we like to give players the opportunity to display the best possible skill levels. perfect move vs perfect move... who wins? someone always wins in the end, and it seems to be the same people, so maybe there is a bit more to it

if you think people dont make mistakes just because they have infinite undo... boy are you in for a shock.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21, 2017 02:26

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
Pento

Pento

The Impaler wrote:i get annoyed by it too, but its not quite as bad as you think when inititally getting used to it. when it comes to esports, we like to give players the opportunity to display the best possible skill levels. perfect move vs perfect move... who wins? someone always wins in the end, and it seems to be the same people, so maybe there is a bit more to it

if you think people dont make mistakes just because they have infinite undo... boy are you in for a shock.

Totally agree!
trineroks

trineroks

Here’s my thoughts on undo...

Does it get rid of interesting game mechanics? Of course. Surprise positionings, fog of war, etc sort of become moot points when you can undo a turn. However, consider the following:

* Uniwar is played on touch devices, and touch as an input has more room for error than mouse clicks. As such, if undo were to be removed a single mistap could legitimately ruin a game.

* Uniwar, like most asynchronous turn based strategy games, initially saves all your moves locally and then “pushes” them to the server for validation when you hit “End Turn”. This is why in the past lots of players would make an alternate account to log into and out of, since doing so would overwrite the locally saved data for your online games on your main, essentially giving you a free undo. That or removing and reinstalling Uniwar. Players will use one of these methods if they really wanted to, so why not just even the field and add undo as an actual feature?

* Uniwar could feasibly be changed so that the client communicates with the server whenever you make a move in a game, so that it “pushes” every move you make to the server and avoids exploits associated with locally saved data. However, that would require *significant* changes to the backend and server. But would this really be an improvement? Such a change would push players to record and keep track of game states for every single game they’re in and lead to a lot more misplays since you generally don’t perfectly recall what you were going to do for SvT #43 in your online games list 24 hours after your last turn. Also, a lot more stress/frustration on the player’s end if this were to happen.

Although now that I think about it, a real time “blitz” mode Uniwar would sound nice.
Redfog

Redfog

trineroks wrote:Here’s my thoughts on undo...

Does it get rid of interesting game mechanics? Of course. Surprise positionings, fog of war, etc sort of become moot points when you can undo a turn. However, consider the following:

* Uniwar is played on touch devices, and touch as an input has more room for error than mouse clicks. As such, if undo were to be removed a single mistap could legitimately ruin a game.

* Uniwar, like most asynchronous turn based strategy games, initially saves all your moves locally and then “pushes” them to the server for validation when you hit “End Turn”. This is why in the past lots of players would make an alternate account to log into and out of, since doing so would overwrite the locally saved data for your online games on your main, essentially giving you a free undo. That or removing and reinstalling Uniwar. Players will use one of these methods if they really wanted to, so why not just even the field and add undo as an actual feature?

* Uniwar could feasibly be changed so that the client communicates with the server whenever you make a move in a game, so that it “pushes” every move you make to the server and avoids exploits associated with locally saved data. However, that would require *significant* changes to the backend and server. But would this really be an improvement? Such a change would push players to record and keep track of game states for every single game they’re in and lead to a lot more misplays since you generally don’t perfectly recall what you were going to do for SvT #43 in your online games list 24 hours after your last turn. Also, a lot more stress/frustration on the player’s end if this were to happen.

Although now that I think about it, a real time “blitz” mode Uniwar would sound nice.

Perfect answer!

Since all the stats and formulas in Uniwar are public (except for the random damage sequence which in essential is not a lot of code) I guess it'd be quite a fun project creating something like 'Uniwar live' to see how this would work out.. this could probably be implemented as a web app without too much effort..
Xtynct

Xtynct

trineroks wrote:...touch as an input has more room for error than mouse clicks. As such, if undo were to be removed a single mistap could legitimately ruin a game.

You make good points, especially this one. I stand corrected.
The Impaler

The Impaler

another issue is a bug that will never be fixed. if your marine accidentally attacks someone and dies, the undo will only undo the attack, not his move. a turn undo saves you from that bug.

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
[Avatar]
Pero

[Avatar]
Pero

Regarding "undo scouting" ruining fog of war, that's an issue even with single move undo. If you have one high vision + decent mobility unit like swarmer, speeder or marauder you can easily take a peek at one enemy base, undo, peek at other base, undo and then play real move.
Xtynct

Xtynct

Pero wrote:Regarding "undo scouting" ruining fog of war, that's an issue even with single move undo. If you have one high vision + decent mobility unit like swarmer, speeder or marauder you can easily take a peek at one enemy base, undo, peek at other base, undo and then play real move.
I do this before every turn I take, when fog of war is still concealing things.
MilanGM

MilanGM

I absolutely LOVE undo option. The fog of war is something you can turn off and you can still have the same amount of fun.
There is another turn based strategy game (with hexes) that I played on the iPad. They don't have the undo option, because they want strict control over the fog of war (to force you to build scouts, i suppose) and that makes the game so much random. I played a game where my opponent gave up in the second turn, when he saw that he moved his strongest unit that way, that i can kill it in one turn. But he could't know that because of fog of war. (and there is no undo) So, he might be the best player in the world, there's no way he could know that.
Undo is a must. Who benefits when you remove the undo option?
keymaster2

keymaster2

I would probably lose some of the games without the undo.if i made a mistake the opponent would notice it and take advantage of it
Forum Index » General Discussion