[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Help for mission 18?
Forum Index » Guides & Tips
Jelloman

Jelloman

Having a hard time with this one. The enemy is flooding me with Pinzers and none of the units I can produce are even remotely effective against them. The Walkers will do a few points to them, but it's tough to get enough walkers in time to make a difference. I tried spamming Assimilators and using the UV attack but that seems like a losing strategy as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
magic molly

magic molly

What difficulty level? The trick on that mission is to use teleport to get the corner bases. (that's the huge square one with three bases in each corner, right?) From there, you have 9+ bases while they only have <7 bases. A combo of assimilators and speeders can make a great wall, behind which you put as many walkers as you can. A few mechas can teleport to cut off their corner for a turn as well, buying you a bit of time. If they start building swarmers, you'll need eclipses or they might kill all your assimilators. Don't worry about garudas.

Hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02, 2009 14:53

magic molly

magic molly

Whoops, double post.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02, 2009 14:52

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks for the advice!

I was already getting the corner bases, but getting dominated in the middle.

What worked for me was:
1) Produce 3 mechas on turn 1 and teleport them all out on turn 2, and get 1 or 2 more on turn 2 and teleport them to the middle also. If you send one mecha to each corner on turns 1 & 2, you can capture the 3 bases in each corner on turns 3, 4, and 5.

2) Follow with a wave of assimilators and speeders, as you suggested. I wasn't making enough speeders when I was trying it before. They can damage Underlings, Swarmers, and Pinzers - mediocre damage, but not 0's, and with the move after attack they are excellent for keeping a wall organized.

3) Take and hold the middle quickly, starting with 4 or 5 Mechas (including the two initial mechas that you use to slingshot to the corners on turn 1) following with the speeders and assims. If you blitzkreig it well enough you can safely produce walkers at the western bases in the middle.

4) An early walker in the upper right corner is very helpful. It only takes 2 defenders to make a wall along the eastern edge that you can bring walkers up behind.

5) Early on, one way to delay the advance of the Pinzers is to UV attack them for a point. If you don't leave any units in range of them, they tend to stop and repair.

Of course... I just dominated the battle and then failed the mission, because I didn't have 5 healthy Cyber underlings... so I have to do the whole thing again.

GameShaman

GameShaman

What I did that made it pretty easy is to teleport your first 4 mechas to the middle (allowing each to capture a base during round 3) and then teleport to the corners with 2 of your mechas in the 2nd round, with the 3rd blocking the underlings advance. Then keep pumping out mechas and teleporting to the middle to block off the computers advance and you should be able to prevent them from getting any of the middle bases, with you having 3 corners and all 4 middle bases. Then simply pump out walkers in the middle and both corners and converge, using mechas as meat shields. Quick and easy.

~Jeff
[Yahoo!] [ICQ]
Kingfish

Kingfish

It took me a number of tries but I was able to beat this level on hard. I agree that this is the hardest mission since you are given no good way to deal with the enemies heavies not having any heavies yourself. Here is how I won it.

Getting the two corners is easy and yes will generate alot of money but without the middle the heavies will overpower everything you throw at the AI. So, you have to get the middle too. How?

First teleport three mechas into the middle. One left side to open vision and one right side middle and one close to bottom. Last send to a corner, and build three more mechas.

Also, move your underlings and assimilators towards middle. Key is you must grab middle even if it slows down your corner grabs. Next three mechas one to middle below bottom right and other two towards corners. Build three more mechas and you should be able to grab all four corners (3 mechas and a underling). You are using teleported mechas as blocks to build an arsenal of mechas and Assimilators. Keep building mechas from home base and teleporting as blocks to the middle bottom right base on every turn and build a eclipse behind. Yes they will kill your teleported mechas but who cares keep blocking them and build mainly more mechas and a couple of assimilators with the other spots. Once you have a bunch of these you will be able to push them back and hold that forth spot with ease. Think of it this way. You will be giving away a mecha (or two) every turn for a bit BUT you will keep a base. The base gives you the cost of a mecha and reduces the opponents income (and on hard more than the cost of a mecha). The computer will ignore almost enitirely your bottom corner and might come somewhat to your top but with a artilery and a couple of annoying mechas this can stop an advance of any type. Also, once you have alot of assimilators mechas (and underlings ) build a couple of artileries in the middle. Use them to get rid of any heavies that come up. They are difficult to kill without your own heavies but make sure they are NEVER close to any bees. So, once you do this make sure the bees can't get to them otheriwise you are screwed.

Also, consider this, you are holding 3+3+3 and 4 middle squares. That is 13 to the computers 3. You will overwhelm them as long as you can keep this ration. If I ever let the AI get a foothold in the middle I always lost because the AI just starts building tons of heavies and it just in the end can't be beaten.l
Kingfish

Kingfish

Left out, you do need a couple of eclipses (behind the front line) to deal with the bees and eagles that come up. Sorry don't know the real name of all the characters.
Forum Index » Guides & Tips