[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Clash of the Titans. Eventually.
Forum Index » Titans
mrbobinnit

mrbobinnit

I find the titans quite a slow heavy, race to play. They get overwhelmed by the speed of the sapiens and flooded by the Khraleans' numbers. They also boost the biggest hitters in the game, with the plasma tank, walker and the hydronaut. Their combined range and power out-paces everything else on the board. Unfortunately, so does their cost.

The plasma tank is a hefty damage sponge. Most sapien units are hard pushed to even scratch the bugger, for example. At 500 a pop, it doesn't come cheap and saving up for one will allow oppostion to have two scout vehicles or 5 infantry units scambling all over the place whilst you're sitting quietly on your coffers. Saying that, if you can afford one, they're a solid investment on most maps and if you can find the breathing space, I'd advocate building the backbone of your force out of them. Keeping them off any terrain other than flat ground or low hills will keep them alive a lot longer. Whilst they don't receive bonuses from any terrian type, unfavorable terrain makes them vunerable to units they'd generally laugh at - marauders, infantry etc. Being ganged-up against can also help breach their otherwise-impervious armour and a gang of weenies can eventually make their life a misery. Consequently, I'd advise keeping them on the flat and manoeuvring them into positions where they can't get swamped. An ideal situation will see you with a good, solid phalanx of these things and an engineer support unit to allow you to keep cycling and repairing. The difficult bit will be surviving long enough to get to that state.

Walkers, walkers, walkers. The temptation to fritter 750 valuable points away on one early on, in the deluded hope of dominating the game board with it's extra range, usually falls short when the far cheaper, more mobile units that your opponents been flooding the board with for the last 3 rounds knock your walker straight over and romp into your base. They are a late-game unit; their fragility and slow move-fire rate make them near-useless without a lot of protection. If you can get a solid tank-phalanx up and running, wrap it around (or in front of) a walker or two and then advance them as a compact wedge.

The general lack of speed and air-power hampers The Titans. Trying to keep alive and hold your bases for long enough seems to be greatest problem. Larger maps seem to be more difficult to handle for The Titans, as they work best in reciprocal packs. I generally opt for cagey, defensive play and hope...
mrbobinnit

mrbobinnit

.... to be able to turtle for long enough to build up a enough strength to go on the offensive. Although their infantry is nothing to write home about, its teleportation ability allows for good scouting, blocking and land-grab on some of the larger maps. Dropping them into mountains and forests in awkward locations can help hamper enemy units moving freely around the map long enough to save up for some proper units. Suddenly 'porting a few of them into a mountain range a few hexes from your opponents base works quite well. The mountains will keep them alive for longer, slow down any troops trying to get at them and leave your opponent in a quandry - waste time getting to - and dealing with - them, leave units guarding the base or leave the base unguarded with potentially dangerous infantry hanging around nearby. Just don't expect to get your infantry back. Also, burying infantry around the map allows you good intel on what the oppostion is up to. Maps like Thermopylae just beg you to do this.

Although The Titans don't have any air power, the eclipse heavy tank makes a formidable fly-swatter. Unluckily, it makes for a fairly sub-standard tank, so try and keep it out of trouble. It's light and nippy and has a handy ranged attack and like the plasma tank, doesn't respond well to adverse terrain. Try and keep it out of the front line and use its ranged attack to knock out air and support units. Even infantry can give this fella grief, so keep him mobile and dont be afraid to teleport infantry in front of him to keep him safe. At 400, its a good bridging unit to keep you alive until you can get some plasma tanks on the field and the first thing you should be reaching for if you see garudas or helicopters sneaking around the battlefield. It also packs a handy teleportation unit , which I would reserve for getting it away from the frontline rather than to it. The cooldown period, paired with the resulting paralysis is a bit risky on a relatively expensive unit.

[Avatar]
Super Jew!

[Avatar]
Super Jew!

I agree with a lot of this. Often when I loose as Titans (except for when I get a map where Underlings can capture bases and prevent me from doing the same early game because of their movement) it's because I've been to aggressive. One of the biggest advantages the Titans have over the other races is that they have the most long ranged units. You just have to be able to hold the enemy off for long enough until you are able to build enough of the right units and take advantage of this, and at the same time understand that Titans also have the most units with a minimum range.

Also, knowing how to work the terrain can make a huge difference when exacting your strategies. Especially when fighting vs air.
Forum Index » Titans