[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
UniWar 2 Suggestions
Forum Index » New Feature Request
deowulf

deowulf

Submarines. Can go below surface, making them invisible unless adjacent. Submerging burns fuel quickly. Good vs battleships.
Submarine hunters. Good vs subs, weak vs battleships. Maybe special factional abilities too.
AA boat. Good vs air.
Torpedo bombers. Can only attack naval.
Heavy infantry/AT team. Cheap and decent vs heavy armour. Low ammo and slow.

More types of bases. Some just produce credits, some cannot produce heavy units, some have defense turrets.

When units self-repair, they repair more HP, but next turn they take a defense penalty.

Reduce everything's vision to rely more on "scout" units.

Please no area of effect damage :/

Command unit with attack or defense bonuses to those surrounding.

The current factional diversity is great

Terrain bonuses to defense

Intel bases providing an attack bonus if captured

Mobile shield. Slow and weak. Protects surrounding units. Has a limited amount of shield power that slowly regens. When it or an adjacent unit is attacked, 50% of damage goes to shield. Probably faction specific.

Tank capable of "lockdown" mode. Faction specific. In lockdown cannot move, but increased armor.

Faction specific Hover tanks capable of going on water

Units capable of more special abilities

[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

We need more boats/water units!

Sorry if i offended you
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

deowulf wrote: More like advance wars. Seriously, apart from overpowered CO powers, that was an amazing series.

Suggestions:
Make bases have capture points, and make it so that weaker units get fewer capture points per turn, so weak units take longer than 2 turns to capture a base.

Make one base per player an HQ. The HQ gives units on it a defense boost, and is worth more credits per turn. Lose your HQ, lose the match.

Play all the games in the Advance Wars series. Seriously, I think they had great balance Especially the newest one. Learn from them and improve on them.

Give each unit ammo and fuel, and give each race a supply unit. When air units run out of fuel, they crash.

More variety in units, such as:
Fighter, good rmovement, strong VS air but nothing else.
Bomber, good vs ground but nothing else.
Transport heli, weak and vulnerable but can airlift tanks.
AA gun, strong vs air but weak vs all else.
Keep the current naval units as a "battleship" class, but take away their ability to attack air.
Aircraft carriers. Weak and nearly defenseless, but able to build and resuply air units.

Dude... this is uniwar, stop trying to make them make a new advanced wars... this is just retarded. If I want to play AW i'll turn on my DS, otherwise please leave UW as it is since it's already great...

Hey guys! Lets call it Advanced Uniwars now!!
Oh and btw I see you don't even know the AW series well... Since when did the AA was weak against anything but air? What about infantry?
How retarded is a battleship that can't attack air? Look at our modern battleships...
Same with carriers, they support air units hence the ability to defend against other air units...
Never seen a fighter take down tanks??? Open your eyes dude...
Locked down tanks?!?! Are you playing starcraft now??!?

Seriously, your post is a load of BS, please unplug your computer now... forever...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 24, 2010 05:39

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

no need to be so mean

Sorry if i offended you
deowulf

deowulf

I'm not retarded, obviously fighters can attack ground units. "Look at our modern battleships?". The last time I checked, battleships are obsolete. No modern navy still uses them. Also in the interest of gameplay and balance, it is generally a bad idea to have a unit that is good against everything. Purposely giving units weaknesses leads to strategic and interesting gameplay.

I am not saying to make "Advance Uniwars," although I stick by my recommendation that the devs should examine advance wars, because in my opinion that was a well-balanced game. I'm not by any means saying to copy it, just to draw inspiration from what they did well.

More suggestions:
Units have radar in addition to vision. Radar has a slightly longer range (depending on the unit) but only reveals the presence of a unit, not it's type. Artillery firing with only radar support takes a heavy hit penalty.

More options to filter multiplayer games by turn time, max players, ect

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 24, 2010 19:01

[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

Wtf. Of course modern day navy uses battleships. Plus radar would render scout units almost uselss

Sorry if i offended you
deowulf

deowulf

Really? Check your facts. Battleships went obsolite after WWII.

Wikipedia:
"With the rise of air power and guided missiles, large guns were no longer deemed necessary to establish naval superiority, and as a result there are no battleships in active service today."

With radar, scout units would remain essential. Attacking any unit with just radar could result in a major accuracy and damage reduction. Radar would also be one more attribute that the devs could play with for variety.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 24, 2010 19:22

[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

deowulf wrote: Really? Check your facts. Battleships went obsolite after WWII
yaya I know. I was thinking of aircraft carries
plus if attacking while using radar is so inaccurate, then why not just move up the one tile so you can see your enemy, then attack..after all, you said radar would have just a slightly greater veiw than a unit's vision

Sorry if i offended you
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

The hell? Battleships obsolete?

*checks*

Okay I was actually thinking war ships, I just like to call them battleships, but they're still Destroyers to me
On a side note, I said this is retarded, not you are, although my post surely was offensive... Well I apologize for that, at least you see my true feeling for your ideas.

The reason I hate them is simple, and to say the truth, I had the same as I started the game. I too loved AW, I was so much a fan of it I was so happy to find UW, since apart from Wesnoth I haven't found any game of that type and of good quality.
Being used to AW, I wanted everything from that game in UW, since I wasn't familiar with the new game at all. But then as I played I discovered it wasn't necessary... You see, why mimic a game when you successfully created a very good one without basing itself too much on another prestigious one? Really, X-pressed made a very game on it's own, with it's own style and gameplay, and I guess that's why I love it.
So yeah, that's why I want less AW and more new things, rather that just recycle previous idea, good or not.

And as for your unit good against any other units, we already have them in UW. Yup, the Battleships! And personally I don't think the game got unbalanced because of them, since you don't always have a harbor and they cost a shit ton.
The radar, now you're starting to talk, even with balancing mechanics! Now I'm not sure if you want to implement that as a unit or a structure, but the idea is here.
And yeah, some GUI would be HIGHLY appreciated, since the one we have actually is pretty annoying and lame...

Again, I apologize for my crudeness, but don't retract them, since they were oriented at your ideas and not yourself!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25, 2010 14:15

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
iamsparticus

iamsparticus

So, here is my suggestion:

Would it not be great if every race had a dummy unit. One that looked like their regular light ground unit to others but was actually a fake unit that had the power to disable others? Maybe it'll sound a better idea if I explain it.

You have a third light unit, it's a dummy unit. It costs as much as the special ground unit for each race. It looks to the enemy as if it's a regular light unit. Yet, this dummy unit is just a dummy. If you were to attack it with a regular unit the dummy unit would just take damage as normal and not return fire. If however, the enemy special ground unit tried to convert it, or use their special on it, it'd somehow reverse the effect and take out the enemy special.

So for example: The Titans are approaching! Fortunately, you have a base and a steady supply of engineers, so you're just going to EMP the pieces of tin until you can convert all their mechas. We've all done this at one time. So wham! You fire up your EMP and wu-oh! It fails! Not only that but your engineer is knocked out for a turn. Feedback loop. That's because one of the Titans mechas was actually their dummy ground unit.

Or, for example: The Khraleans are pushing forward, but you manage to get the drop with your Assimilator. You go to assimilate the underling in front of you, but WU-OH, it's actually a dummy unit. Your assimilator explodes!

And so on.

Why I think this would be cool: It'd give an extra sneaky dimension to the game and more importantly it'd level out those maps where you're playing at a disadvantage (Titans vs Humans, Humans vs Khraleans), as you could fight back against being constantly EMP'd or Plagued.

My other three suggestions which are far better than this one:
DO NOT UNTIE BASES FROM MONEY. Then we'd have a different game, which while fun, wouldn't be Uniwar
DO NOT INCLUDE UPGRADES / RESEARCH / RPG ELEMENTS. Then we'd have a different game, which while fun, wouldn't be Uniwar.
Allow playing against more than one AI at a time, with levels against multiple AI too.
Don't give the Titans flying units, that's part of their disadvantage. Give all the races the same skills and it'd be dull.
thethanx

thethanx

A couple of things:

Most importantly, I think that it's great people have such intricate ideas about what to do with Uniwar, but before posting your ideas I would ask that you consider this:

The more complicated and specific your idea is, the harder it is to implement and MOST importantly, balance. I would like to think that maybe the Dev's actually look at this thread for honest feedback on where to take Uniwar 2 (although it would be great if a dev could confirm this), but I can PROMISE you specific unit ideas, role playing elements and other incredibly complex and detailed suggestions will be ignored, because it would take an incredible amount of play testing and scripting to realistically impliment.

Pipe dreams are fine, but Uniwar is already an awesome incredibly balanced game, and I can only assume the Dev's plan to tweak and improve Uniwar, not give it a serious overhaul.

@ Nicko I agree with almost all of your feedback, however, I do think it can be a little... harsh. Don't forget the whole point of this thread is for people to dream up crazy ideas and even if they tend to be outlandish, it doesn't mean any of us has the right to call them retarded and flame the person posting them. However, I certainly respect your experience of the game and your desire to keep people away from totally game changing ideas. As my previous statement probably reflects I agree with you on many levels, just not your methods for expressing disapproval, lets all be friends ya?

On the subject of more AW like elements. Simply put, AW has serious balance issues because of things like CO's, and if you want to play a game more like AW great! Advance Wars By Web (AWBW) Is a great browser based game that is a sort of mix of all the AW games to date... Play that instead! Uniwar is great because it's not AW.

@ sparticus
You're right that if all races had access to the same abilities it would be bland, and giving titans flying unitS could unbalance them if done inproperly, but I don't think that if correctly done, giving each race access to another ability, or even giving titans A flying unit, would homogenize the races as much as you imply. As of right now, Sapiens and Titans both have access to units that can move after attacking, but because they're way different in cost and functionality, the way and amount they are used is different. I also agree that bases should not be totally untied from funds, it would make for a different game, on the other hand it would be fun!
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

sparticus, i love it!

but i think a "dummy" unit would have to cost quite a bit more than a standard light if it can disable enemy healers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25, 2010 18:11

Sorry if i offended you
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Haha yeah I know, I'm harsh by nature. But as I said in my previous post, it's more the ideas I flame than the person, well that's what I really think to myself. I can understand someone is thinking i'm being harsh, but I don't realize it until I posted.
So for everyone's sake I'll try to be less harsh from now on, but that won't mean I won't disagree fully against some ideas. I think I might also seem harsh because of exams, I'm having some stress and need it to evacuate, I don't think it should be done here however...
Also sadly I haven't heard a dev in ages... I hope they're too busy on UW 2, but I really can't confirm that, at all. An update would be highly appreciated!

Now that this is put aside, I like the idea of adding a counter support unit, but I'm not sure the dummy is the solution. It's kinda hard to consider this. But still a nice idea of a new unit.
And yeah, I might have made myself clear on this one but: keep UW it's unique essence!

Wandering...
Sphink

Sphink

As for the devs being too involved in uniwar 2 to give us feedback I have this to say.

In the early morning of 03/28/2010 I descovered a bug and immeaditly sent "Krlux" (I don't think I'm spelling the name right) a private message explaining it to him. I sent 2 more because of no response. On 03/31/2010 I Got this.

"Thanks a lot for discovering this exploit!
This is I deed a bug and we will fix it in the next update.

Thank you very much for making the game even better.

Regards,

The UniWar Team"

that was 2 months ago. And I am seeing that they plan to release UniWar 2 in 2010? If UniWar 2 is coming out this year then why would they be working on an update for UniWar? If that was the case I would have expected a responce more like "we are currently more concerned with UniWar 2 and this will be fixed in that"... Maybe they are continuing work on UniWar and developing UniWar 2 at the same time? I'm not sure but from what I get if they were talking about another update 2 months ago then either they stoped work on UniWar for more manpower on the development of UniWar 2. Or UniWar 2 won't be out in 2010 because they are still working on UniWar. If they are doing both it would be a waste of manpower in my opinion.

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
jackal0001

jackal0001

Nicko wrote:
-NO! For crying out loud! It's a TBS not a RTS! All the great TBS games I know of don't have this research crap, only the RTS does, and I don't want them to turn that game into RTS!

While I agree that uniwar doesn't need research elements, have you ever played the XCom series of games? I'm not sure if they count as TBS, but I think they probably do.

And speaking of XCom, one thing that might be interesting in uniwar would be to have some or all units be able to reserve their action to respond to enemy actions. XCom let you reserve a portion of your action so the unit could fire off a shot as an enemy ran by, for example. So in uniwar terms, the maurauder could save one of its moves to respond by doing something like shooting back twice when the enemy moves by, or even running away to dodge the shot. This kind of thing would let you lay traps of a sort. The trade off would be when it comes around to be your turn again, you lose the reserved action if it didn't get used.
Forum Index » New Feature Request