[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Ranking Poll: Separate Ranking for 1 vs. 1 and Team matches?
Forum Index » General Discussion
Separate the rankings for single player and team matches
Keep One Unified Ranking for all mode types 34% [ 20 ]
Split Rankings between FFA and Team matches 25% [ 15 ]
Rankings for 1v1, 1vAny and team matches separately 41% [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 59
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

We are contemplating splitting rankings into single player mode and team modes.
Please vote on it and most importantly, tell us why you think one way or the other.
Thanks!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 01, 2012 15:26

Anonymous

Anonymous
instead, how about a monthly reset and a history of your monthly rank in your profile.

something like this:
http://www.gpokr.com/profile/27928899
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

That is a good idea too but since games last so long, maybe we should do it by quarter (3 months) at a time...
Or have a yearly ranking and publish the ranks for each year... would be a 12 months rolling average...?
Unimarobj

Unimarobj

I like the idea of split rankings. revzloco and i are becoming a pretty strong pair. I mean, we seem to be doing pretty good with our matched =]
But....this wouldn't be cool if people made alts and played with themselves (please, no comments).
But otherwise that would be awesome.
Unimarobj

Unimarobj

Oh! I don't like the whole "ranking reset" thing.
I mean, I can see the cool parts of it...but I'd like my ranking to stay where I get it.
It's taken awhile, and a lot of matches to get it to my lovely 1820 =]
Anonymous

Anonymous
unimarobj, so you don't want to have to prove how good you are every month? in other words, you want to be like alon, cheat your way to 3000 points and never play a rated game ever again?
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

We want to avoid that type of behavior but there may be other ways than resetting the scores.
For instance, if someone is not playing a real rated game, his score goes down by one point each day he is not playing for instance...

Also, currently, anyone who has not logged in for the past 90 days is automatically hidden from the rankings (which is why it seems like the ranking pages are going down).
[Avatar]
Super Jew!

[Avatar]
Super Jew!

As the game becomes more popular splitting the rankings will eventually need to happen. If it needs it just yet I'm not sure. As for resetting the rankings, once a month is defiantly WAY to often. Obviously rank isn't everything, but it is cool to see when you're doing good. A monthly tournament with a special recognition reward (on forums or in game) would be neat.
Anonymous

Anonymous
But then you could just beat up a single bot, sock puppet, or newbie to keep your ranking up.

Maybe your rating could only include games played in the last 3 months? Then the system is good to you if you keep winning against good players.

In any case I think your profile should include your highest rank achieved if a system like this is implemented.
didude

didude

Anonymous wrote: unimarobj, so you don't want to have to prove how good you are every month? in other words, you want to be like alon, cheat your way to 3000 points and never play a rated game ever again?

I can't confirm that aLoN cheated but I can tell you that I haven't beaten him yet. He's also a good partner.

A monthly, 6-month, and all time ranking chart would be the best (ranking change or pt change)
Anonymous

Anonymous
i've beaten alon before. he's not unbeatable. he does play well, but so do most people who know which maps to play with which race to have the advantage. it's also pretty easy to rank up using multiple accounts, which i'm sure he did.

the problem with the game right now is that when you reach around 1900, there are very few "fair" 1 vs 1 games with higher ranked opponents. and since you risk losing more points by playing lower ranked players, that's basically the end of the game for you. your only option if you want to play higher ranked players is to join 3x3 or 4x4 games, which can be painfully slow.

that's why i think a monthly or quarterly reset it necessary, along with a history of how high you ranked for every month or quarter you played. the single perpetual ranking is a meaningless metric.
[Avatar]
soupnet

[Avatar]
soupnet

I enjoy playing team games but I find myself infuriated when I'm teamed up with noobs who quit half way, don't take their turns, don't communicate or listen, turtle in their corner while you take on the other team for them, or would rather their team mate lose a base than take damage to one of their units.

I think two separate ratings are a great idea.

"Whatever you do, don't move tha.... oh you moved it. Well that's ok we can recover just make sure you.... oh you didn't listen again. Hold on, I'll send some backup. How many credits do you have? Hello? ..... Hello?"

Your team mate surrendered.

-20 rating
glackattack

glackattack

Splitting the ratings is worth a try. The system is obviously broken.
glackattack

glackattack

I agree with a prior suggestion of only including games played within a prior period of time. It would require top players to keep playing to preserve their ranking.

Tennis, golf and NASCAR re-set everyone once a year. That's not the right approach for UW, unless we want to have "seasons", but only including games played within the last 3 months (or 4 months) would have the same basic effect.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Good suggestion. We will add a "Highest Rank" in the profile of each player in the v1.0.6 update.
Cheers!
Forum Index » General Discussion