[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Heli Re-Balancing and Balance suggestion: Artillery
Forum Index » New Feature Request
glackattack

glackattack

The rebalancing of helis has been excellent. The heli problem highlighted what should be the two goals of a balanced game: (1) making each faction balanced versus the others and (2) within each faction, requiring the player to be proficient with all of the units in order to win. In other words, a unit may be over or underpowered either not only because it unbalances the faction, but also because it is seldom/never used, or because it is always used.

The heli had both problems. Spamming helis was an auto-kill on certain maps. And a heli would on most maps be the saps player's first-choice unit. (Still is, as far as I can tell, though less so.)

According to those principles, a case can be made that the cost of artillery should be reduced. The trucks are very expensive and vulnerable so they are seldom used. In my view they are clearly inferior to the Wyrm, which costs the same. The wyrm can move and attack, giving it the same effective range as trucks and the ability to attack and re-position. It also isn't helpless when attacked. Against all those advantages, trucks only get four additional attack points, which basically means an average of one more damage point against any unit.

So I wonder if there's a case to be made that the cost of trucks should be reduced from 550 to 500. Thoughts?

By the way, kudos again on the re-balancing of helos.
lion37

lion37

Glackattack - I agree with you 100%.

I also think that the trucks should be able to move 1 hex after firing (but not before firing) in order to make them a little bit more useful and mobile (mobility is the Sap trademark).

I think this ability will be almost useless. You are not likely to advance after attacking since the truck is volnerable and must be well defended. Falling back after attacking moves you out of range so you cannot attack again.

So why have it at all? Because then you can build a truck and in the next turn fire and move it off the base, then repeat. You dont have to waste a turn moving it off its base without firing. This would make it a little more interesting and useful.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Lion37, this is a great suggestion! We'll be looking into that for the Artillery. It is a small enough change that it may not be too risky. We need to think it through first though. Thanks!
Forum Index » New Feature Request