[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Random attack factors too extreme
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates
lion37

lion37

It seems like the random attack factors are now too extreme.

You dont know if your attack will do 1 damage or 4 damage.

I just attacked a 7 health garuda with a 10 health heli.
My Heli took 4 damage.
Come on. This is just extreme and is unpredictable.

Anyone else seeing this?
What do others think?
glackattack

glackattack

Right after the update I used a 10 heli vs. a 5 garuda, with a gang-up bonus. The result was -4 garuda, -3 heli. That result seemed anomalous to me. But one data point does not a survey make.

I posted on this on the main "update" string.

I would appreciate some clarification about the changes to the random factor.
rolando

rolando

I wrote out the calculations in another thread under General. Take a look if you haven't read it yet.

Lion37, in your case the Garuda has a 45% of dealing damage per each of its HP. So if it had 7 on average it will more than likely deal 3 points of damage, but also has a good change of dealing 4 points.

glackattack, same scenario for you, but since the Garuda has 5 instead of 7 on average it will deal 2 or 3 points of damage. For your heli I am assuming your gang up bonus was +1 (if you attacked adjacent to the first attacker). There is a slim chance that you deal 4 points of damage (like 1%), but it's possible.

Take a look at the damage formula thread.

I will also clarify on with lion37's comment about it being unpredictable. Using your example I said the Garuda has a 45% of dealing damage to your Helicopter. So if the Garuda has 7 HP the damage dealts ranges from 2-5 points, with 2 and 5 having less odds of occurring. That is where the random factor kicks in. It will make more sense once you read how the formula works.

Lastly, the change to the random factor from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 is that it the factor is now random for every action. Previously, as lion37 pointed out in an older thread (kudos!) the random factor was only affecting a player's turn and not each action within that turn. It was a bug and we have fixed it.
ahbritto

ahbritto

Measuring how extreme the random factors are is very difficult from a player perspective. Most of the time, damage overages make no difference. Underages are the easiest to see. I know from one sync error, I felt totally ripped that the previous play was not repeatable.

A huge part of the reason knowing the damage formula was important was because of its extreme randomness and the buggyness.

Now that the buggyness is gone, I am able to evaluate the randomness.

As a game programmer, I was initially surprised you only used 6 die. But, now I am fairly certain you should use more.

Here's why: People may be happy when they get a lucky hit. But, most of the time, the units die with the extra damage making no difference. People are biased to remember negative experiences. They remember very well being cheated. That's how damage underages feel. Additionally, this being cheated is exaggerated when luck causes a double imbalance not in their favor between the damage done between two units.

If your intention is to make the game more fun, the extremeness of the randomness is making the game less fun.

If your intention is to add some variance, that's admirable, however, I feel it is too extreme.

The random factors are currently 6 die. I would like try 7 or 8.

-Arthur
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates