[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Is Uniwar going south?
Forum Index » General Discussion
zCRP

zCRP

I just restarted playing Uniwar after a long hiatus waiting for 1.0.5. What I found is:

- much fewer games than 2-3 months ago
- almost all games are full planet all vs all, very few 1vs1 games
- tried joining a few team games and was "gamed" in all of them, i.e. my "team-mate" would not cooperate with me
- tried a few 1vs1 games and opponent left within first two turns

what is going on?
lion37

lion37

I am feeling same things you mention.

cyfen

cyfen

Ranking systems encourage attempts to game the system. Get rid of ranks and you'll get people who want to play for the sake of playing rather than those trying to set up games for rank advancement.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Eh, mobile games do tend to have a short shelf life. But yeah I think this one's on its way out. Part of the reason might be that we've reached a point where most players seem to know the winning strategy for every map. I'm kind of sick of every game going the same way.

Maybe if there was a new map pack? I don't know though, even then it's just a matter of time before Alon or whoever figures out the way to win every time and then it trickles down to the rest of us.

I'm through with the game myself, but I'll buy Uniwar 2 whenever that comes out.
Anonymous

Anonymous
A turn based multiplayer game probably caters to a smaller audience than other game genres. The game is very solid with a great deal of replayability. Maybe with the additional ratings the game will draw more players.

I have been playing unrated games of late which has been fun since it has allowed me to veer away from the tried and true strategies to just have more fun. So there may be a point that the ranking system may actually shorten the life cycle of the game. Though when I was climbing through the ranks it was fun. It also did a good job of matching me up with people of my caliber pretty quickly. I don't enjoy getting routed handily nor do I enjoy obliterating a foe with ease. That is where the ranking system shone. So perhaps a ranking system that is leveraged but not displayed or make it an option? Not sure.
Anonymous

Anonymous
this is why you need a ranking reset periodically. that's why professional sports have seasons, so that everyone has to start from scratch and earn their way to the top.

devs could also prolong the lifespan of uniwar by offering in-app purchasing of map bundles. like $.99 for 10 new maps or something. both players would have to own the map in order to join the game.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

That is a good idea.
Anonymous

Anonymous
One problem I have with the ratings system is that it's fantastically easy to cheat; I mean look at how many people at the top have 100+ wins and 10 or less losses. Even the best player is going to lose some times; it's more than obvious they're doing something to artificially pump it up.

So maybe instead there should just be ranks or tiers from "novice" to "expert", based on an invisible ratings score. (And something uber and impossible like "Godlike" or whatever.) Having ratings unseen and just trying to obtain the better ranks would give you less incentive for people to dick around over ten ratings points.

[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

I've said it once and I'll say it again - the best way to really catapult UniWar to the spotlight is create a cross-platform, web-based version of the game.

Look at the popularity of web-based MMOs. That would bring a lot of attention to the game, not to mention expand the player base. Better yet, put out a UniWar Facebook application.
[Avatar]
mager567

[Avatar]
mager567

Uniwar on the PC?

that is madness!

if you want to register a complaint, click here
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

The web version of UniWar is coming... it should be there in 2 months.

Also it will be present in Facebook!

One more thing: the game is not going South...check out the numbers on the home page (online players, registered players, ...). We are also going to see a huge uptake with all the Java and Brew phones... the community is only getting bigger

Cheers,

The UniWar Team
Forum Index » General Discussion