[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Map Quiz ... say what you would do.
Forum Index » Guides & Tips
newuser

newuser

Here's a pop quiz for you ... what would you do as the Titans in the attached map? This move was the turning point and what you do could tip the game towards winning or losing.

This is a game already completed and after some other people answer I'll tell what I did (I ultimately won).

You only have two boats to move, and a whole bunch of threats to deal with. Do you use your boats to attack his Garuda's, before they can come right up to you and wipe you out? Do you weaken his thumper? Do you attackthe artillery before it can repair and threaten you? How do you deal with the ants who are in a position to take up to three of your four bases?

For those of you who can't see the file inline, you can click here to see the .png file of it: http://files.me.com/newuser5/2bth5t

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 19, 2009 06:22

newuser

newuser

... (deleted) ...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 17, 2009 09:50

[Avatar]
aLoN

[Avatar]
aLoN

i would weaken the 2 garudas and build a plasma in the upper middel base, and build a mecha on the base next to the 2 garudas.

Hachiman

Hachiman

Kill Garuda with boats. Build mecha on bottom base, leave mecha on next base up, build a Speeder on each of the top bases. Now he can't take any bases in his round.

Kill Underlings & Wyrm with Speeders and Mecha, kill Pinzer with boats once the Garuda are neutralised.

Not sure how many credits you get on this map to say what you do next round. Basically if you can stop him taking a base you will have a building advantage though ...
newuser

newuser

Nice stragtegies! I particularly like the Plasma tank aLoN since it would protect both northern bases and it would also help come to the rescue if that coastal base next to the Pinzer gets in trouble.

I'll throw my hat into the ring with what I did but I'd still like to hear any other ideas.

I weakened the Pinzer with my 10 boat and killed the artillary with my 8. I built two Mechas in the North and then an Eclipse in the Southern peninsula to help against the birds. I also moved the existing Mecha south one spot so that the Garuda's would have a hard time getting at my boats because they were blocked by my zone of control. I basically put them in a cage for a turn to deal with later. For the next turn I had an eclipse and two boats which easily handled the Garuda's, and plenty of Mechas around to defend my northern area. Once the boats got repaired from the initial battles it wasn't hard to mop up and counterattack.

Hachiman you're probably right that it's not too hard of a problem. I like the idea that you only have two boats and a lot of things to decide to do with them.

If anyone else can post an interesting map/situation I'd love to see more "pop quizes".

I should mention that aLoN beats me on this map every time (I think 2 for 2).

[Avatar]
aLoN

[Avatar]
aLoN

Hachiman wrote: Kill Garuda with boats. Build mecha on bottom base, leave mecha on next base up, build a Speeder on each of the top bases. Now he can't take any bases in his round.

Kill Underlings & Wyrm with Speeders and Mecha, kill Pinzer with boats once the Garuda are neutralised.

Not sure how many credits you get on this map to say what you do next round. Basically if you can stop him taking a base you will have a building advantage though ...

i think this strategie would fail because the speeders, 1 of them might be dead before you even gonna use it (pinzer + worm + underling) and then the other underling will keep you busy by capteruing the upper middle base, wich means you gonna have to use your boat and the speeder to take it down.

a plasma will help you in the next rounds to hold up with the attack and then win the game when you have a unit advantage.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20, 2009 07:39

NatSelection

NatSelection

You've got two boats, so this really isn't a losing scenario. Boats weaken the garudas, and you could build any combination of land units on the upper bases. You've got two boats.

I'd probably build a mecha on each base and move the current mecha down to weaken the garuda. Use your 8/10 boat on the weaker garuda and your 10/10 on the strong one. Build more boats. Win.

Btw, how do you only have two boats? That map is just a boat building map. If you weren't building boats the whole time, maybe that is why you got stuck in this predicament in the first place. Especially with Titans. Why build anything else? (unless you let this happen)
newuser

newuser

NatSelection wrote: Btw, how do you only have two boats? That map is just a boat building map. If you weren't building boats the whole time, maybe that is why you got stuck in this predicament in the first place. Especially with Titans. Why build anything else? (unless you let this happen)

It was a while ago, but IIRC he came at me fast and early, and I built some cheap units to throw in his way and slow things down while I saved for the boats.

In general, even though I like this map, I tend to hate slow buildup games so I get impatient and do something early or something crazy. Then if it's an experienced player I lose but someone with less experience (or less on that map) usually let's me get away with it. Most people who've played me several games will recognize that that's often my downfall!

Hachiman

Hachiman

aLoN wrote:
  Hachiman wrote: Kill Garuda with boats. Build mecha on bottom base, leave mecha on next base up, build a Speeder on each of the top bases. Now he can't take any bases in his round.

i think this strategie would fail because the speeders, 1 of them might be dead before you even gonna use it (pinzer + worm + underling) and then the other underling will keep you busy by capteruing the upper middle base, wich means you gonna have to use your boat and the speeder to take it down.

a plasma will help you in the next rounds to hold up with the attack and then win the game when you have a unit advantage.

Perhaps, but I think if you build a Plasma on the top middle base, the top right Underling has enough movement to capture the other (it can move over the mountain and sit on or cap the top one). This forces you to use one, maybe two of your boats to kill it, and leaves his forces free to attack or repair. Then both of your lower bases are in danger, and the Garuda can keep out of range of your boats...

In any case, if you can stop him capping a base, you should win.
Hachiman

Hachiman

newuser wrote:

I weakened the Pinzer with my 10 boat and killed the artillary with my 8. I built two Mechas in the North and then an Eclipse in the Southern peninsula to help against the birds. I also moved the existing Mecha south one spot so that the Garuda's would have a hard time getting at my boats because they were blocked by my zone of control. I basically put them in a cage for a turn to deal with later. For the next turn I had an eclipse and two boats which easily handled the Garuda's, and plenty of Mechas around to defend my northern area. Once the boats got repaired from the initial battles it wasn't hard to mop up and counterattack.

I think you could have lost this way. The Garuda could have ganged up on the eclipse from either side and (possibly) killed it, leaving the Underling to cap the base. At worst the underling finishes it making you a unit down. The underling further up caps the base you left undefended by moving your mecha south meaning you've got two bases under threat. If you don't get them both back the same turn (admittedly, the chance is good) you're at a big disadvantage. Even if you do, the Pinzer and the two Garudas can probably escape while you are distracted.

[Avatar]
gunther84

[Avatar]
gunther84

[b]...ALL YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO US....
Forum Index » Guides & Tips